Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Would you pay to have the 2019 upgrades applied to your 2018 111 chief/chieftain bike?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand the updates (rear cylinder deactivation, riding selection mode) on the 2019 Chief 111 TS are electrical/software.
I am wondering if these updates can be applied to the 2018 Chief with a software update.

Anyone knows?

·
Bronze member
3,313 Posts
From what I understand the updates (rear cylinder deactivation, riding selection mode) on the 2019 Chief 111 TS are electrical/software.
I am wondering if these updates can be applied to the 2018 Chief with a software update.

Anyone knows?
NOPE,

The Indian reps on the demo truck tour they are doing now say a big NOPE!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Shutting off the ignition to one cylinder should be simple with software. I don't know how the fuel injection works-are there individual injectors for each cylinder, or is there a common one that feeds both? If there are 2 injectors it seems like the aftermarket could step up with a product if Polaris doesn't. Without fuel and spark the cylinder is just an air pump.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I had a stock 2017 Springfield that I had added the Indian oil cooler and heat from the engine was never a problem for me. Is it just me or is there more heat from my 2018 Chieftain Limited engine, or maybe Chieftains in general?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have no issues with the heat. I removed the kitty which cost nothing. Put cams in and tuned with pvcx. So on hot days like 95+. I notice some heat but not nearly enough to bother me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOPE,

The Indian reps on the demo truck tour they are doing now say a big NOPE!
This is such a slap for those who purchased a 2018 Indian in full price just a couple of months before the release of the 2019.
Engine heat in warm days (90-95 F) is obvious especially when stuck in traffic. I am not 100% sure that the engine isolation would drastically reduce the heat, but could help I guess.... I think that Indian should address this consumer concern also for bike value reasons....

·
Bronze member
3,313 Posts
This is such a slap for those who purchased a 2018 Indian in full price just a couple of months before the release of the 2019.
Engine heat in warm days (90-95 F) is obvious especially when stuck in traffic. I am not 100% sure that the engine isolation would drastically reduce the heat, but could help I guess.... I think that Indian should address this consumer concern also for bike value reasons....

This is an air cooled engine..... This means air is needed to cool the engine...... The engine will get hot because no air is cooling it in traffic. These are designed to run on highways and open roads not a daily traffic commuter. The rear cylinder deactivation has been around a while on other bikes and, most don't use it much.

A slap in the face :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: is a silly statement, every year products evolve and get enhancements. Implying that a air cooled engine runs hot in traffic is a design issue as I see many state here, is like someone complaining that every time they turn on the left water faucet hot water keeps coming out.......

And yes we here about how my 650 cc air cooled engine never hot hot........... This is a 1800 cc + engine 3 times the size 3 times more heat.

As they say, if you can't stand the heat get off of the air cooled V Twin. There are many other options like Honda Gold-wings, Cars with air-conditioning.

·
Rider
447 Posts
I've lived without the cylinder shut down thus far, I think I still can. I did notice my'17 is slightly hotter than my '15 was. I ride in traffic pretty often in Florida in the summer and if the heat starts getting to my right leg, I just don't put my right foot down at stops. Seems like every time Indian comes out with a change people cry and whine because they didn't get it on their ride. I guess you should find a manufacturer that never improves it's itproduct line so you can whine because they never improve anything!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've lived without the cylinder shut down thus far, I think I still can. I did notice my'17 is slightly hotter than my '15 was. I ride in traffic pretty often in Florida in the summer and if the heat starts getting to my right leg, I just don't put my right foot down at stops. Seems like every time Indian comes out with a change people cry and whine because they didn't get it on their ride. I guess you should find a manufacturer that never improves it's itproduct line so you can whine because they never improve anything!
I don't this is whining. You got it all wrong...

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
If one thinks an improvement/enhancement over a model year is a slap in the face, then it is whining.

What do you expect? You buy a Ford two-wheel drive and the following year the same model comes out with AWD, you think that a slap in the face? Seems to me that Indian listened to customer complaints about heat and responded, appropriately.

Come on . . . . get back to the real world, where free market desire drives capitalism and our great nation. 2020 may very well bring a model variation that some may think their 2019 is due by default.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If one thinks an improvement/enhancement over a model year is a slap in the face, then it is whining.

What do you expect? You buy a Ford two-wheel drive and the following year the same model comes out with AWD, you think that a slap in the face? Seems to me that Indian listened to customer complaints about heat and responded, appropriately.

Come on . . . . get back to the real world, where free market desire drives capitalism and our great nation. 2020 may very well bring a model variation that some may think their 2019 is due by default.
I shouldn't be doing that , but let me reiterate. You regard as whining spending $25K for a brand new 2018 Indian and then a few weeks later having a 2019 released, making your bike a year old within few weeks? I don't think this is something to celebrate right?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I shouldn't be doing that , but let me reiterate. You regard as whining spending $25K for a brand new 2018 Indian and then a few weeks later having a 2019 released, making your bike a year old within few weeks? I don't think this is something to celebrate right?
Hmmm, note to self, do not spend 25k on a new bike weeks before new model year launch. Might be unpleasantly surprised.

·
Founding member
1,983 Posts
Did you expect that the 2019 model would be identical to the 2018 model. And that they should increase the price for the exact same bike, so then you could celebrate (and not whine)? Buyer's regret is only to blame on the buyer - don't look back, just enjoy the ride ... it's just a thing called life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you expect that the 2019 model would be identical to the 2018 model. And that they should increase the price for the exact same bike, so then you could celebrate (and not whine)? Buyer's regret is only to blame on the buyer - don't look back, just enjoy the ride ... it's just a thing called life.
From all the comments thus far this makes the most sense...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
This is an air cooled engine..... This means air is needed to cool the engine...... The engine will get hot because no air is cooling it in traffic. These are designed to run on highways and open roads not a daily traffic commuter. The rear cylinder deactivation has been around a while on other bikes and, most don't use it much.

A slap in the face :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: is a silly statement, every year products evolve and get enhancements. Implying that a air cooled engine runs hot in traffic is a design issue as I see many state here, is like someone complaining that every time they turn on the left water faucet hot water keeps coming out.......

And yes we here about how my 650 cc air cooled engine never hot hot........... This is a 1800 cc + engine 3 times the size 3 times more heat.

As they say, if you can't stand the heat get off of the air cooled V Twin. There are many other options like Honda Gold-wings, Cars with air-conditioning.
My friend, you hit the f#%king nail on the head............................

1 - 20 of 105 Posts