Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the 585s cams were installed in the engine, I notice how fast the engine reached the rev limiter in all gears. Once my rear tire needed changing, Ray recommended going with a taller tire. I love the way the cam tire combination is working now. The engine takes a little longer to hit the rev limiter on all gears with the taller tire. I think this combination is perfect. Ray recommended to with the Dunlop elite 4, 180/70R 16 instead of the 180/60R-16. I will recommend this combination to anyone with the 585s and Stage 3 cams.

·
Bronze member
1,939 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your bike again. I do like the performance of the 585's. I'll have to keep the tire size idea in mind when it's time. Hoping to get my new upgraded valve springs in soon, haven't ridden much at all and the itch is getting real bad. On the upside my golf game, surfing and house is the best it's been in a long time.

Reactions: 30PlusRetlaw

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The speedo will vary some. It will show you going slower. Ray have the same tire and he check his speed on radar also. Maybe he can shine in later on that topic.

·
Bronze member
1,531 Posts
The taller rear tire lowers the overall drive ratio.

EXAMPLES.....on my skoot with the same tire if my speedo is showing 80 mph, I am actually going about 83mph, almost 84. GPS or road side radar.

Trip meters and odometer...traveling 100 miles will actually be about 105.7 miles.

I ran this same size on my Vaquero and the results are the same on the Indians. Running thru the gears each gear achieves a higher speed at the same rpm shift point, the engine likes the lower ratio and seems to pull harder, it's not running thru the tork curve as quick. The taller tire raises the rear so ground clearance is improved. Raising the rear also pulls the forks in reducing affective rake which sharpens the handling.

Unless you have a problem reaching the ground when stopped it's a win win alteration with positive changes.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
4,707 Posts
There is also a VCM adjustment you can make with a PVCX that brings the speedo into line with reality. I don't know if it also effects the odometer, but if the bike is faster than the speedo is showing and your memory slips, it could be touch and go with speed cameras etc.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There is also a VCM adjustment you can make with a PVCX that brings the speedo into line with reality. I don't know if it also effects the odometer, but if the bike is faster than the speedo is showing and your memory slips, it could be touch and go with speed cameras etc.
If it changes the speedometer it will change the odometer. Iv wondered if a sproket change would help much.

·
Bronze member
3,054 Posts
that would defeat the purpose of the taller tire...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts