Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm thinking of buying the new big bore 116 kit with the heads and purchasing the rods as well for my 17 chieftain. For the guys that have taken their bike apart do you need the indian cam tool if taking off the top end as well as swapping the cams? Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cam tool needed if you are installing the 116 kit because you will install the cams while there is no load on the rockers and rods. Not to mention that you can install the cams while you have the jugs off.
Thank you for your help

·
Bronze member
1,237 Posts
IndianDR and davem are essentially BOTH right. There IS a "special tool" that can be bought from your dealership to facilitate changing out the connecting rods, but you can do the job with some commonly available tools available at any good hand tool purveyor.

We all have our own particular preferences with how we like to do things. Personally, I think that the job is best done with the engine completely removed from the chassis because I don't like working under the confines of the frame. But some mechanics need to cut the working time down as much as possible, so they'll only lower the engine enough to be able to remove the heads and cylinders.

engine ON THE ROLLAWAY.jpg

·
Rider
863 Posts
You can remove the rods without any special tools.It is a nasty place to get to.
You need one special socket. I suggest one from Cornwell the one from snap on they indian supplies sucks
IndianDR and davem are essentially BOTH right. There IS a "special tool" that can be bouyght from your dealership to facilitate changing out the connecting rods, but you can do the job with some commonly available tools available at any good hand tool purveyor.

We all have our own particular preferences with how we like to do things. Personally, I think that the job is best done with the engine completely removed from the chassis because I don't like working under the confines of the frame. But some mechanics need to cut the working time down as much as possible, so they'll only lower the engine enough to be able to remove the heads and cylinders.

View attachment 578789
You did it the hard way taking the motor completely out. I do it half way in the bike. No need to lug that heavy pig around.

·
Bronze member
1,237 Posts
You did it the hard way taking the motor completely out. I do it half way in the bike. No need to lug that heavy pig around.
You are right about it being HEAVY, IndianDR. It takes two guys to transfer it from under the chassis to the work bench. But once it's on a flat bench or roll-away, it's a pleasure to do the job. The gents working at a dealership need to minimize working time, so it's a no-brainer for them keep it under the frame.

In my case, I don't have the time constraints that a dealership wrench has to work with AND I did my Stage 3 kit before the factory came out with the retro-fit connecting rods. So I tore the engine down COMPLETELY and fitted in a set of modified, conventional Carrillo connecting rods.

connecting rods_OEM above carrillo.jpg

rods installed.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts