Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
Gotta get dyno charts... Especially for the SC420's on a stage 1 Scout !

P.S. I am holding this #2 post slot in order to post dyno charts for these cams - if and when they become available ..

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
They're claiming 140tq on a Scout...

that's a 80%+ increase in torque 🤔

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
How did yall manage to ignore the preface to the 140trq figure ? Selective blindness ?

Here - let's put it in bigger fonts: " 140 inch test bike running SC450 cams.... " ,
I think the rest reads " = worp 10.25 velocity with 160g acceleration thru worp 9 while using 1.21 gigawatts thru the flux capacitor." , or some such..

Someone wanna explain to me WTF is a "140 inch test bike" , and how it applies to Indian Scout performance when using a SC450 cam ?

Andrews Cams peeps have got to be smart enough to know that printing such crap is only going to fool a (hopefully) small percentage of the Cro-Mag race....? But perhaps it is the only way they think they can sell a few of the SC450's - Perhaps "real and usable" data for the SC450's would show them to be subpar or far superior (to the SC420's)...

Sorta like what I consider to be the Lloydz fiasco with the 585's and the 558's when they had the dyno charts for each up on their site - only way to sell 558's was to remove the charts and start crap up about 558's being a better "touring cam" than the 585's - when their own data shows the 558's are simply a low performance version of the 585's (from off idle to redline) for the same price !

Reactions: AvionicsScouter

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
Soooooo...

Adding some cams to your 69ci allows it to make more hp/tq than a 130ci engine...

I'll follow this thread for the laughs...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,312 Posts
I'd like to see what that 1300cc big bore kit made in performance numbers. Then I'd like to see what a 1300cc BB with these cams would do. Now we might be talking some serious performance with the combination of the two.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Someone help me out here. I don’t understand the benefit of camming a high revving engine like on the scout and ftr. I get it on the big twins, but maybe I just don’t understand where the benefit would lie on these two machines.

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
@Cameroni79 , I'll help you out on this, but I have no idea on how detailed an explanation you need.. One extreme is " Fo Mo Powah, Duh" and the other will delve into stock cam system design being hamstrung by the gas composition requirements of the catalyst, therefore and also, emissions requirements..

·
Registered
413 Posts
@Cameroni79 , I'll help you out on this, but I have no idea on how detailed an explanation you need.. One extreme is " Fo Mo Powah, Duh" and the other will delve into stock cam system design being hamstrung by catalyst, therefore and also, emissions requirements..
Right, but you’re opening intake and exhaust for different amounts of time vs stock. On a big twin that makes sense to push the performance to the higher rpm range. That’s more horsepower. You sacrifice some low end performance when you cam them. On a scout and ftr the HP peak is already high for a twin. It takes a while to get a scout up to 6k rpm. I’m still stuck on what the goal of changing the cam profile on two high revving machines is accomplishing. I’m happy to admit my ignorance if I just flat out don’t understand.

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure you own a Scout, but I assure you that nailing WOT from 4k rpm will see 6k whizzing by in less than a blink of the eye.. And hanging on till 8300 rpm takes "real man guts"...

The goal of installing performance cams is to modify the power curve shape as well as increase the curves over the stock curves.. The higher the rev limit of an engine, the larger the "envelope" for creating enhanced performance from a cam design change.

If stock-like overall ride-ability is to be maintained ( cams not relegating a bike to drag strip only) :
The changes possible are dictated by the relative optimization of the stock cams. If the stock cams are quite optimal, performance cams may only be able to enhance relatively small areas of the power curves. Obviously, until performance cams are offered and tested, nothing is known about the relative optimization of the stock cams.

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure you own a Scout, but I assure you that nailing WOT from 4k rpm will see 6k whizzing by in less than a blink of the eye.. And hanging on till 8300 rpm takes "real man guts"..
My god, man - you have never spoken more truth 👏🏼

the 69ci from @ 5000rpms all the way to redline is like sitting through a Category 5 Hurricane...

...and thats "ONLY" 100hp/77tq...

I couldn't ever imagine 130hp at redline...

not only that, but the brutal grunt you'd get from 140tq...

my main question I asked on their Instagram page was "do these cans now lower the 8200rpm rev limit on the Scout/Bobber ??"

we'll see, but I wouldn't expect any concrete evidence on those claims...

a claim such as turning 130hp/140tq from a 69ci takes some serious and substantiated explanation...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure you own a Scout, but I assure you that nailing WOT from 4k rpm will see 6k whizzing by in less than a blink of the eye.. And hanging on till 8300 rpm takes "real man guts"...

The goal of installing performance cams is to modify the power curve shape as well as increase the curves over the stock curves.. The higher the rev limit of an engine, the larger the "envelope" for creating enhanced performance from a cam design change.

If stock-like overall ride-ability is to be maintained ( cams not relegating a bike to drag strip only) :
The changes possible are dictated by the relative optimization of the stock cams. If the stock cams are quite optimal, performance cams may only be able to enhance relatively small areas of the power curves. Obviously, until performance cams are offered and tested, nothing is known about the relative optimization of the stock cams.
Yes I own a 2020 scout. It’s not a fast revving machine. An i4 in a sport bike is a fast revving engine. Yes it will rev on up there, but it’s pretty slow comparatively. Performance wise I think it’s pretty great! Hopefully I’m way off here and cams will kick butt in the scout.

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
Also, the stock clutch will disintegrate after a handful of wide open throttle pulls with 140tq...

There is no way a stock Bobber clutch will hold 140ftlbs...

The more I talk about it (and think about it), it sounds more like a live grenade...

·
Bronze member
2,380 Posts
@litos, I'm having a hard time determining your relative sanity. You make sense, then you don't.. Any chance you have a drunk Joe Sixpack cohabitating your mind ? (Like I do..)
"Cat 5 hurricane" - Yep... "lower the rev limit" = crazy talk... "130hp/140tq from a 69ci.." - Who is claiming that ?.. I tell you who, NoOne is ! ∴ more crazy talk...
Try substance abuse, or other substances abuse...always works for me !

@Cameroni79, I submit to you that discussion about, comparisons to, and any other linkages (of or about I4 sport bike engines) have no more place in an Indian forum than they would in a John Deere Tractor forum.

Simply increasing the total valve lift a small amount and/or slightly altering overlap with a simple lobe center change will usually always produce a small but persistent power curve shape enhancement. Really big enhancements can come from taking bigger "stabs" at cam design changes from stock.. we will see..

In the meantime, if your Scout is not running a S&S intake/filter and loud slipons (with the stock header) you are not riding the same Scout I do. And your performance is no where close to mine.. BTW, top the above off with a FM PV3 and the FM Scout Stage 1 tune for OVER 100hp at the rear wheel as proven via FM dyno charts..

·
Rider
1,162 Posts
"130hp/140tq from a 69ci.." - Who is claiming that ?.. I tell you who, NoOne is !
it literally says it in the description.....

I circled it for you....

BFF2F9F7-F825-4885-ADD1-EC0D41C496F7.jpeg

·
Bronze member
1,942 Posts
Could have a lot of fun promoting a 420 cam to younger cannibis loving riders

Reactions: Ridin_low

·
Registered
413 Posts
@litos, I'm having a hard time determining your relative sanity. You make sense, then you don't.. Any chance you have a drunk Joe Sixpack cohabitating your mind ? (Like I do..)
"Cat 5 hurricane" - Yep... "lower the rev limit" = crazy talk... "130hp/140tq from a 69ci.." - Who is claiming that ?.. I tell you who, NoOne is ! ∴ more crazy talk...

@Cameroni79, I submit to you that discussion about, comparisons to, and any other linkages (of or about I4 sport bike engines) have no more place in an Indian forum than they would in a John Deere Tractor forum.

Simply increasing the total valve lift a small amount and/or slightly altering overlap with a simple lobe center change will usually always produce a small but persistent power curve shape enhancement. Really big enhancements can come from taking bigger "stabs" at cam design changes from stock.. we will see..

I only mentioned sport bikes to illustrate how relatively slow the scout engine is to rev. I’m not knocking the engine, I am a massive fan. Referring to it as fast revving is comical though. There are bikes that will hit 12k rpm before we will hit 5k on our scouts.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts