Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 Indian Scout in Feb. I now have 500 miles on my bike. I have considered a stage one kit but with the crack down and tight restrictions in California I am finding it difficult. After Vance Hines was fined 500,000. for sale of restricted exhausts in California most other companies are refusing to sell to California residents. If I want to do all the required stage one steps....exhaust, air cleaner, power commander and a remap/Dyno tune I was told that I would need to pay in cash and sign a document that I will only be using the bike off road. Also the law reads all bike built after 2013 will need an "official noise emission label" on their exhaust clearly visable. Has any California Indian Scout owners blew off these regs and installed a phase one kit on their bike? What type of pipe do you have and how did you get them? Did the phase one make a big difference in your normal riding of your Scout? How did you handle the remapping of your motor? Thank you all.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
The OEM stage 1 kit is supposed to be legal in all the states......
It does not use aftermarket mufflers only a very slightly modified OEM muffler that is user able to maintain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you RBinTEX. Do you know what the power gain is with the OEM stage 1 kit? When I bought a new Harley Davidson in 1992 the bike really lacked in power. It needed modification to gain more power and make it run better. My Indian Scout in the stock state has great pick up and runs fine. Given the way I ride I am not sure I need to spend the money to get more power.

·
10,005 Posts
Thank you RBinTEX. Do you know what the power gain is with the OEM stage 1 kit? When I bought a new Harley Davidson in 1992 the bike really lacked in power. It needed modification to gain more power and make it run better. My Indian Scout in the stock state has great pick up and runs fine. Given the way I ride I am not sure I need to spend the money to get more power.
I have no idea about power gains with the stage 1, but the flash that goes with the kit did help the fuel delivery quite a bit on my 2015.
Sound was better and the engine ran cooler....

·
10,005 Posts
By the way, a LOT of people say that the price for the system kit was a lot to swallow for very little gain.....
I bought mine used along with a new flash card.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Indian stage 1 is CA legal. We got it free on the bobber as it will see CA use and didn't want any issues.

It's OK, but I'm glad we didn't pay for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kodiakisland......that is what I have heard by more than on Scout owner. Most say it sounds better but not really worth it unless you go deep in to the illegal/"off road" add on parts. I really don't hot rod my bike so I think I will leave it like it is. thank you

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kodiakisland what was for free? I am not sure what "flash" is?

·
10,005 Posts
The flash is the computer flash to change some of the references in the CPU
They change the bike computer for more gas and other variables.

·
Registered
594 Posts
kodiakisland what was for free? I am not sure what "flash" is?
For the bobber, the dealer threw in the Stage 1 exhaust at no cost. It was free for me, not sure what it costs to buy it from Indian. A reprogram is included with the exhaust. I really have no idea if the exhaust/new flash actually produces anything tangible, so I don't know if it's worth paying for or not.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had my dealer install the stage one on my 2018 Scout. There is no compliant sticker on the exhaust, the sound is much better IMO and the re-flash really improved throttle response. I got 20% off retail so the cost was OK. I don't have to worry about the noise cops, don't have to worry about selling a non compliant bike when that time comes. The exhaust is smaller and lighter and suits me just fine. I'm almost 71 years old, my days of needing 200 horsepower in a bike are gone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The flash is the computer flash to change some of the references in the CPU
They change the bike computer for more gas and other variables.
Is a "flash" similar to a Dyno tune?

·
10,005 Posts
Is a "flash" similar to a Dyno tune?
The flash provided by Polaris is restricted to what is allowed by law for a production vehicle.
The OEM flash reprograms your ECU to legal spec's.

The Dyno tunes do not have that restriction..... they tune the ECU for best performance!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The flash provided by Polaris is restricted to what is allowed by law for a production vehicle.
The OEM flash reprograms your ECU to legal spec's.

The Dyno tunes do not have that restriction..... they tune the ECU for best performance!
Ok, got it.....thank you.

·
Bronze member
1,383 Posts
I had my dealer install the stage one on my 2018 Scout. There is no compliant sticker on the exhaust, the sound is much better IMO and the re-flash really improved throttle response. I got 20% off retail so the cost was OK. I don't have to worry about the noise cops, don't have to worry about selling a non compliant bike when that time comes. The exhaust is smaller and lighter and suits me just fine. I'm almost 71 years old, my days of needing 200 horsepower in a bike are gone.
If I might ask -how are the stage 1 mufflers smaller.?

·
Bronze member
4,359 Posts
I had OEM stage 1 pipes on my Indian. They were the same size but with a chrome end cap in place of black. They sounded much better but did not give any extra power. When I bought a PVCX for it that opened up the motor. I have no idea whether a PVCX and better tune would fit within Cali regulations.

Here's a crazy story on noise regulations.

Here in my state the EPA decided that bikes were too noisy and they forced through legislation intended to stop aftermarket pipes. They said that every exhaust system had to have a sticker saying it suited that bike, what brand it was, and what noise level it produced. The EPA wrote it up, the politicians passed it, the police were expected to police it, and the RTA (registration authority) were expected to provide a testing facility for those bikes deemed by a copper to have failed and had been corrected. If we got pinged we were off the road, trailer it home.

There were no stickers and nobody told anybody else where the mythical stickers were supposed to come from. And there was one facility in Sydney equipped to check noisy bikes. No matter where in the state you were pinged you were expected to ship the bike to Sydney - NSW is about 1,000 kms across. No thought was given to older bikes for which OEM pipes were no longer made, or that cars can change their exhaust system at an exhaust shop without all this rubbish.

Then the motorcycle riders association of NSW made some stickers. They were sticky back metal with spaces to engrave the details. They were $5 posted and we all just engraved our own with the bike and what we reckoned was a legal noise level. Suddenly we were legal again.

It took a lot of lobbying but the politicians saw that they'd legislated total rubbish and the whole lot was rescinded one or two years later.

I feel for you California riders, it seems you get the worst of this kind of legislation.

·
Bronze member
1,279 Posts
I had OEM stage 1 pipes on my Indian. They were the same size but with a chrome end cap in place of black. They sounded much better but did not give any extra power. When I bought a PVCX for it that opened up the motor. I have no idea whether a PVCX and better tune would fit within Cali regulations.

Here's a crazy story on noise regulations.

Here in my state the EPA decided that bikes were too noisy and they forced through legislation intended to stop aftermarket pipes. They said that every exhaust system had to have a sticker saying it suited that bike, what brand it was, and what noise level it produced. The EPA wrote it up, the politicians passed it, the police were expected to police it, and the RTA (registration authority) were expected to provide a testing facility for those bikes deemed by a copper to have failed and had been corrected. If we got pinged we were off the road, trailer it home.

There were no stickers and nobody told anybody else where the mythical stickers were supposed to come from. And there was one facility in Sydney equipped to check noisy bikes. No matter where in the state you were pinged you were expected to ship the bike to Sydney - NSW is about 1,000 kms across. No thought was given to older bikes for which OEM pipes were no longer made, or that cars can change their exhaust system at an exhaust shop without all this rubbish.

Then the motorcycle riders association of NSW made some stickers. They were sticky back metal with spaces to engrave the details. They were $5 posted and we all just engraved our own with the bike and what we reckoned was a legal noise level. Suddenly we were legal again.

It took a lot of lobbying but the politicians saw that they'd legislated total rubbish and the whole lot was rescinded one or two years later.

I feel for you California riders, it seems you get the worst of this kind of legislation.
Yep, and as an ex-Californian I remember when that thick-headed and maid-banging but OH so somehow freakin' "charismatic" "governator" of ours(get the idea I was never all that impressed with the guy???) signed into law the "Modified Motorcycle Exhaust Ban" as he exited the Sacramento statehouse for his final time.

BUT, and in HIS defense, AND as I've said MANY a freakin' time over these many decades, we can probably chalk THAT whole thing up to all the years many of my fellow California motorcyclists with that DAMN stupid "alibi" for runnin' straight pipes on their machines which states "loud pipes saves lives"(and which is BULL CRAP) were MAINLY responsible for tickin' off a sufficient number of NON-riders in my old state to get the ear of their state representatives in order to PASS that bit of legislation!!!!

And NOW if I have ANYBODY here who reads what I just wrote here and NOW wants to disagree with me about that whole stupid "loud pipes saves lives" crap, BE MY FREAKIN' GUEST, 'cause as MUCH as you'll claim you're "right" and attempt to rationalize your obnoxious freakin' behavior out there on the road, you'll STILL gonna be freakin' WRONG, 'cause it AIN'T and never HAS been your excessively loud ass freakin' pipes that "keep you alive", but it's KNOWING how to ride SAFELY among your fellow motorists out there, and yeah, even THOUGH half of 'em should have NEVER been issued a damn driver's license in the FIRST damn place, that keeps your freakin' ass in one piece! And I SHOULD KNOW. after almost 50 freakin' years of ridin' these here motorcycles on the crowded and congested "mean streets" and freeways of "La La Land"!!!

(...okay, and now that I've gotten THAT off my chest here........)

LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a 2017 Indian Scout in Feb. I now have 500 miles on my bike. I have considered a stage one kit but with the crack down and tight restrictions in California I am finding it difficult. After Vance Hines was fined 500,000. for sale of restricted exhausts in California most other companies are refusing to sell to California residents. If I want to do all the required stage one steps....exhaust, air cleaner, power commander and a remap/Dyno tune I was told that I would need to pay in cash and sign a document that I will only be using the bike off road. Also the law reads all bike built after 2013 will need an "official noise emission label" on their exhaust clearly visable. Has any California Indian Scout owners blew off these regs and installed a phase one kit on their bike? What type of pipe do you have and how did you get them? Did the phase one make a big difference in your normal riding of your Scout? How did you handle the remapping of your motor? Thank you all.
Does 'The State' allow you to do that?...LOL...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts