Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to post of my utter disappointment of the California canister recall. I’m sure many California owners have already gone through this. The canisters are always on order and the dealers put them in when they come in. But I had made an appointment at orange county Westminster LA Indian dealer and I called today before I drove down tomorrow 175 miles away. Of course they do not have my canister they said they can’t hold them. And the next order would be June 20. My temporary dmv permit expires next week. Why’d I make an appointment? Next closest dealer is 187 miles, I’m headed there in Redlands when they come in.

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
I just have to post of my utter disappointment of the California canister recall. I’m sure many California owners have already gone through this. The canisters are always on order and the dealers put them in when they come in. But I had made an appointment at orange county Westminster LA Indian dealer and I called today before I drove down tomorrow 175 miles away. Of course they do not have my canister they said they can’t hold them. And the next order would be June 20. My temporary dmv permit expires next week. Why’d I make an appointment? Next closest dealer is 187 miles, I’m headed there in Redlands when they come in.
What year is your bike? I have a 16 and my renewal did not have anything on it about the canister.

WD./

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
It’s a 2014, they get you when the registration is due because it is a smog part.
I know but I thought the recall was for up through 2016 and mine did not have the DMV alert.

So maybe it is just prior to the 2016s.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Carb is the legislative part of the law. They don't enforce. Kalifornia is getting in everyone's pants. Glad I'm gone......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since when do they smog motorcycles in California? Or are they getting real invasive?
They are not doing physical smog check like with cars, but they are confirming the canister has been replaced. My dealer gave me a letter for my 2017 Chieftain that CA DMV requires.Just mail it in at renewal time.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
Okay guys this is the issue. It affects all TS111 bikes through 2017. I did not get the cannister paperwork this year, but they will catch me next year I am sure. But I replaced mine right after the recall was issued.

But here is what happens and why:

The original cannister has a charcoal filter that sits outside the cannister. The filter is mounted on the original cannister and facing forward. Someone, somewhere, and I don't know where. CARB, Factory, whatever, not sure. Anyway, the cannister filter facing forward could possible allow water into the cannister during a rain event and ruin the charcoal, whereby ruining the filter effect and the trapping ability of the cannister.

The new cannister is mounted in the same place, however there is a vent tube that had been added that reroutes the filter up and into the left side cover and out the hole below your air shock valve. This eliminates any water intrusion issues. They replace the entire assembly only out of fear the original cannister might have taken on water. Chances are slim, but that is the reasoning. It is a simple 30 minute or less replacement.

Once replaced your dealer must give you the original wet signed paperwork that the cannister work has been done. This is very important. The DMV will NOT accept a photocopy.

If you have not received your DMV notice then you have some time, but you need to get it replaced. CA DMV will catch up to you eventually. The good part is It cost you nothing to fix. And no extra $$$ on your registration.

If you have received the DMV notice, but your dealer is out of stock on the part go ahead and pay your DMV fees anyway by mail. This will allow you to ride the bike, but you will not get your sticker until the work is done. But if you were pulled over for a expired sticker the Police officer can run your tag and will still know you have paid your fees and will likely not give you a ticket and know there is some minor manufacturing issue with your bike.

Lastly, here is the filter I am talking about:

Cannister Filter.jpg

·
Registered
730 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Springfield from Indian OC on January 31, 2018. I took it in to have Stage 2 cams installed a few months later and they did the recall, no problems. They sent the paperwork to the DMV. I received my renewal in the mail and never had any issues.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Indian in Sydney did mine on the first service , they said if the bike had less than x amount of kms / miles the recommendation is to just replace the tube that runs into it and anyone with more than that just replace the whole unit. They had few in stock and just replaced the whole thing. Simple to do and only took another 30 mins. labour .

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
So, I wonder if when I took my bike in for the gas line recall and the Stage 1 remap if the guy went ahead and did the canister swap without mentioning it to me.

When I put my VIN into the Indian database the canister recall does not show as applying to me. It does list the prior recalls tho'.

Perhaps they made the change during production and some bikes already have the new filter?

WD./

[edit] - so I just reread the renewal and it is noted about the recall. Guess I have 2 months to get it done.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
So, I wonder if when I took my bike in for the gas line recall and the Stage 1 remap if the guy went ahead and did the canister swap without mentioning it to me.

When I put my VIN into the Indian database the canister recall does not show as applying to me. It does list the prior recalls tho'.

Perhaps they made the change during production and some bike already have the new filter?

WD./
It should be on your paper work so you would see that it was replaced as a warranty issue and you have record along with the dealership would have it logged against your service records etc.Mine was noted on my paper work after all the install of stage 2 cams , service and shop cost etc then the canister was noted and no labour change for that component.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts