Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at a 2020 Indian scout icon series in Texas MSRP $13,719, freight $897, TTL $254, paint protection $750 and Taxes $1009??. They also added a reduced reach seat and an engine guard which they claim is free but, to be clear, I never asked for the paint protection, the low reach seat or the engine guard. Even when I add that all together it comes to around $16,629......but the tax rate in Texas is .0625 and the actual bottom line should be $16,596. Their price was $17,418.08. Thoughts/Advice?

·
Bronze member
4,114 Posts
I am looking at a 2020 Indian scout icon series in Texas MSRP $13,719, freight $897, TTL $254, paint protection $750 and Taxes $1009??. They also added a reduced reach seat and an engine guard which they claim is free but, to be clear, I never asked for the paint protection, the low reach seat or the engine guard. Even when I add that all together it comes to around $16,629......but the tax rate in Texas is .0625 and the actual bottom line should be $16,596. Their price was $17,418.08. Thoughts/Advice?

Simple, no sale unless no engine guard, seat and paint protection.

·
Bronze member
3,395 Posts
the paint protection is a joke... you can buy any number of "ceramic" protectors and do it yourself for under $50... taxes should be real easy to figure out... you know what the state charges and that should be it...

·
Rider
556 Posts
Freight is pretty common, it's called a destination charge when buying a car. Their freight charge seems kind of high, but location changes these charges so I can't say if that's normal in your area. I'd go to a few other motorcycle dealers and see what they are charging for that one. Paint protection tell them no way in hell, that's an addon like an extended warranty and you have every right to opt out of if. If you don't need a low reach seat make them put the original one back on. Engine guard is up to you, I like the one on my DH but that's all personal preference. If they REALLY aren't charging you for it, it's easy enough to remove yourself and you could probably sell it on here to someone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the paint protection is a joke... you can buy any number of "ceramic" protectors and do it yourself for under $50... taxes should be real easy to figure out... you know what the state charges and that should be it...
I agree paint protection film for a motorcycle isn't needed and is more than I wanted. Heck I just want to cruise around and not worry about the paint.......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freight is pretty common, it's called a destination charge when buying a car. Their freight charge seems kind of high, but location changes these charges so I can't say if that's normal in your area. I'd go to a few other motorcycle dealers and see what they are charging for that one. Paint protection tell them no way in hell, that's an addon like an extended warranty and you have every right to opt out of if. If you don't need a low reach seat make them put the original one back on. Engine guard is up to you, I like the one on my DH but that's all personal preference. If they REALLY aren't charging you for it, it's easy enough to remove yourself and you could probably sell it on here to someone.

All good feedback and advice....I will keep looking if they don't come around regarding the "extras". Still not sure how they came up with a bottom line of $17,418.08....maybe that paint protection film is really a high tech force field:).

·
Registered
187 Posts
All depends on your dealer.
They typically have DOC fees or SETUP fees those cam be negotiated.
Tax is tax if you don't know how to navigate around it, it is what it is.

As for ADD ON parts, that's easy to figure out what they're charging you for..... Go to the Indian website and Select Build Yours

At the end of the day, like Spartan said☝......
"Remember they have to sell the bike, you don't have to buy the bike."

·
Bronze member
2,207 Posts
Just about everything and anything is negotiable. Like the saying goes, it doesn't hurt to ask. In this Covid environment & economy, I highly doubt new bike sales are hot. Ask away & better yet, get another dealer to give you their best price. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just about everything and anything is negotiable. Like the saying goes, it doesn't hurt to ask. In this Covid environment & economy, I highly doubt new bike sales are hot. Ask away & better yet, get another dealer to give you their best price. Good luck.
That's what I did and this other dealership is down around 15.5K a bit better then 17.5K......

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always get quotes from 2-3 dealers and let them compete. When a sales manager from one of the high volume stores called to fuss me out I told him it wasn't personal - - I'm the one that makes the payment LOL
Smart.....there are dealerships that make a habit of slam dunking people..........is a setup fee of $788 reasonable?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I usually go off the OTD price, I will have one in mind. You can fiddle **** with the numbers anyway you wish put dollars in any column or line item description as long as it adds up to no more than what I am willing to pay.
For example I wanted a scout sitxy out the door for 11500. Guy wanted 11700. I asked him to split the difference at 11600, he agreed to it.

Live in SOUTH EAST PA
bought Cosmos in trevose, pa.

I got mine OTD for 11600.
So yeah, no deals on pricing. I paid full price!

2020 60 w/ABS
thunder black

With the following (dealer installed)
pathfinder Led
Black heat shields
Indian Highflow intake

·
Registered
190 Posts
also I am retired military so I believe that Indian offers a $500 for accessories for an Indian Scout.
Yes honoring hero’s is still active...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes honoring hero’s is still active...
Thanks I better hurry and take advantage of it while it lasts........it doesn't appear the prevailing sentiment is that supportive of uniformed service any longer.....I was active duty for 34 years loved it, had a great career.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts