Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founding Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit down on 2014 Chieftain demo(sells as new) with 3300 miles from an out of town dealer(Sioux Falls, SD). Before sealing the deal I asked about the 500 and 2500 mile service records. They only had one in their computer on 12-1-14, three days after I put the deposit down.The salesman said they were done but had no record of them. Polaris says the warranty is good as soon as the dealer registers the sale no matter what the service records are. The local dealer did a compression test and found 105 in the front cylinder and 90 in the rear. Should I continue or bale out?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I was going to buy a demo in Denver, 2800 miles, but they were not coming off the price.
I found a repossessed bike with 1140 miles At Ride Now in Peoria AZ. Bought it through internet sales, shipped to my home town. I had to rely on faith the dealership took care of the bike. I saved 3900 & the previous owner had added 1400 bucks of extras. Mine was a great deal well worth the risk. Just make sure everything is written down! Good Luck

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bought mine as a dealer demo also. I don't recall if I got any record of previous service, I'll have to dig out the paperwork. I know when I did the 5K service there were a lot of items that were to be lubed in each service that didn't have lube/grease (example: lever pivots). Looking back I probably should have gone with a new 15 but no turning back now, I am happy with the bike. If Indian upgrades/improves some of my nit picks on future Chieftains, I might consider a newer one then.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Get all your warranty information in writing and the name of the Polaris representative that advised you this. Document everything , just in case you dont get the coverage(if needed). Every time ive purchased a used bike, i am always wondering how it was manintained. However in your case this is a known dealer and they should identify it as a demo. It is funny how it is not listed in their records that the work was done!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Dale hopefully you are getting a deal on the bike, if not it would not be worth the buy. They can use the word "demo" but it is a used bike ridden by hundreds of people. A demo or used bike is still what it is, a bike that you are unsure how the previous riders treated it. I bought with that understand & I am still very happy with my bike. Many guys would only marry a virgin, but look at all the wonderful women they lost out on! Ride the one you love.

·
Registered
47 Posts
105 and 90?... I'd bail.... Not good...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
I put a deposit down on 2014 Chieftain demo(sells as new) with 3300 miles from an out of town dealer(Sioux Falls, SD). Before sealing the deal I asked about the 500 and 2500 mile service records. They only had one in their computer on 12-1-14, three days after I put the deposit down.The salesman said they were done but had no record of them. Polaris says the warranty is good as soon as the dealer registers the sale no matter what the service records are. The local dealer did a compression test and found 105 in the front cylinder and 90 in the rear. Should I continue or bale out?

3,300 miles isn't a dealer demo bike. That looks more like they got one of the bikes that was used on one of the demo trucks that toured the country. You know, those bikes we all beat to shit on the demo rides. I wouldn't buy it unless it has a very significant discount.

·
Founding Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OTD price is under 20K and it has 2 grand in accessories installed. The salesman said it was ridden gently to dealer events and by a couple of customers from March till now... Do I believe him?... It will come with the full 5-year factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Anything to make a sale! I hate pushy salesman! The more they push, and bullshit, the more i tend to walk the other way!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Dale
Ridden gently by a little old lady from Pasadena, you made me laugh. The person that has to be happy is you. You have the factory warranty 5 years, you need to find out the factory standard compression requirements. Ride the bike, remember my used bike, with 1147 miles, with 1400 dollars added accessories, was delivered to me 13 hours away from AZ all for 18400.

·
Founding Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm starting to get cold feet as I have not ridden this particular bike(1400 miles way). I have relied on the the salesman who is a distant cousin and the business manager who have spent the majority of time riding this Chieftain during the summer. They have conflicting experiences.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I was worried also, because I bought my bike off of pictures on the internet. Sales guy sent me more pictures on the phone. My choice was based on price, quality of the Indian name, and the 5 year warranty. Leap of faith yes, but based on research.
Shame the cousin is not so distance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts