Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after anxious, careful and dreaded 1k kms till break in maintenance, got my baby back from the dealership ready to ride. I had an earlier suspicion with regards to how the shifting felt "spongy" but thought that it was the move from a harley.

Riding out of the dealership, the sponginess became worse, and it started going to a faux-neutral between 5th and the overdrive 6th (faux neutral being a neutral then a snap back to 5th). First time i thought i didnt pull the peg hard enough, second time it happened with a grind and i had to pull the clutch and work down through gears at standstill. Rode back on, and gears were perfect up to 5th. Then same thing happened.

Went back to the dealership and they put it with rear wheel up and worked through the gears fine, then one went on a test ride and it shifted okay (i heard him do clutchless shifts) and then another one (a friend of mine) took it and the slip happened with him too. So now it is sitting there with the guys completely shocked and very disappointed (not half as much as I am though). The guys were nice enough to lend me a king pin till they contact Polaris and do the inspection. This is bad. 1k kms down the line and transmission issues? I just hope this is an easy fix. Do not want to lose my faith in indian/polaris.

Any mechanics out here who can take a shot at explaining what the issue could be? If it was a clutch thing i would have felt it on all gears. And as far as im concer, the fork that selects the 6th is "not lone" but only my 6th seems to be an issue.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd wait to see what they find. I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it and take care of you. That's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So after anxious, careful and dreaded 1k kms till break in maintenance, got my baby back from the dealership ready to ride. I had an earlier suspicion with regards to how the shifting felt "spongy" but thought that it was the move from a harley.

Riding out of the dealership, the sponginess became worse, and it started going to a faux-neutral between 5th and the overdrive 6th (faux neutral being a neutral then a snap back to 5th). First time i thought i didnt pull the peg hard enough, second time it happened with a grind and i had to pull the clutch and work down through gears at standstill. Rode back on, and gears were perfect up to 5th. Then same thing happened.

Went back to the dealership and they put it with rear wheel up and worked through the gears fine, then one went on a test ride and it shifted okay (i heard him do clutchless shifts) and then another one (a friend of mine) took it and the slip happened with him too. So now it is sitting there with the guys completely shocked and very disappointed (not half as much as I am though). The guys were nice enough to lend me a king pin till they contact Polaris and do the inspection. This is bad. 1k kms down the line and transmission issues? I just hope this is an easy fix. Do not want to lose my faith in indian/polaris.

Any mechanics out here who can take a shot at explaining what the issue could be? If it was a clutch thing i would have felt it on all gears. And as far as im concer, the fork that selects the 6th is "not lone" but only my 6th seems to be an issue.
Not sure about motorcycles though if you use the wrong fluid type in auto transmissions, manual and auto they will not shift correctly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting, I found a false neutral shifting down from 6thto 5th today 50 miles into a 115 mile ride. Sounds like I need to keep my eyes/ears on this.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Did hit a false neutral once between 5th and 6th with over 2,000 Miles on my Scout but once only .. The rest have been Rock Solid ..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about it. Hang in there, see what they find out.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I remember back in the late 80's when working on an out of the crate sportster, I took it out for a test drive after setting it up. I got on it and busted 1st gear. I had just been hired a couple of weeks earlier and thought I was going to be in trouble. When I told the service manager what had happened, he smiled and told me to get him the serial number. He looked it up and there had been a recall on that bike for incorrectly cut gears. He just thought it was kind of interesting.
I don't think this is what happened to your tranny though. It just provoked an old memory.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Is the tranny in the Scout one that Polaris just developed or has it been used in other Indians/Victories?

·
Founding member
439 Posts
Yesterday while riding to work, I had issues with going to neutral. When I parked the Scout, I had to leave it in first gear. When I left work I could get it in neutral. Looks like it's a problem when engine is at running tempurature. Last night, I did check engine oil level and it was good. This morning, same thing. I am taking it in at noon to have them check it out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I too hit that false neutral between 5th and 6th. I was running it hard, up from 5th gear and it went into a neutral. Up again and hit 6th gear.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Founding member
439 Posts
Got back from the dealer. They adjusted my clutch. Not sure if this was a band-aid or a fix. Clutch feels looser which I don't care for. At least I can get it in neutral now.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Got back from the dealer. They adjusted my clutch. Not sure if this was a band-aid or a fix. Clutch feels looser which I don't care for. At least I can get it in neutral now.
Clutch? I am not that mechanical but not certain how clutch can put the bike in neutral between 5th and 6th gear?
Any comment welcome but I just aint going to get to upset about it....I have a 5 year warranty :)

Reactions: Rudy Smith

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooookay so there IS an "unofficial"update. Still waiting on polaris to officially comment but the dudes at the dealership (yes I can admit that) are very nice guys and are helpful to the max. The worlshop manager made it a point to ride the demo wcout they had as well as test a customer's ride himself to check. They all did the same thing. Now he said something that made some sense to me: polaris seem to have falsely advertized the scout as a 6 speed bike. It is a 5 speed bike with an overdrive 6th. Which somewhat does make sense cause when shifting smoothly from 5th to 6th it was fine. However, while accelerating then using the 6th for "torque"it went to that faux-neutral and then started grinding when i tried clicking the shifter up again.

I will still wait for the official polaris response and i hope that they come up with something scientific. I moved away from harley to escape reliability issues which i never had befofe the bike crossed 5 years and had at least 60,000 kms on it. My scout has only 1100.

If polaris / indian reps are reading this, please help me wear my Indian tshirt with pride again. As it stands the Harley guys have taken us for a big laugh.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I too hit that false neutral between 5th and 6th. I was running it hard, up from 5th gear and it went into a neutral. Up again and hit 6th gear.
Yeah exactly my case. Except it started grinding when i hit up again. See my long update for more info buddy.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My chieftain sometimes has a problem with going into second if I am over 2400 rpm's . It seems to be better after it is hot or if I short shift it. Never a problem above that so it may be a scout issue... I am sure they will get to the bottom of it but hope it isn't a quirk of that tranny that it gets caught between 5 and 6 th. Good reason for the 5 year warrantee period.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly...its this kind of stuff that makes me HIGHLY reconsider getting a Scout without an extended warranty to cover the first year issues that come up over time...unfortunately I could just not commit prior to the Sept deadline. I know there is a Silver Scout sitting in Concord, NC that is unclaimed that I drool over buying if I get a new position in the next month, but now i'm really, really reconsidering unless they threw in a year or two extra for free. I don't want to spend a premium on a bike and have this kind of crap kick in after a year and get hosed at a dealer fixing it.

This is why they should give 5 years on ANY first year Scout in my opinion....the rest of us take a much larger risk of footing a major bill if their initial designs aren't up to snuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts