Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Burn baby Burn... My leg

28K views 161 replies 56 participants last post by  One-Eyed Jack 
#1 ·
HELP....
Skin Flesh Arm Joint Muscle

This is what happens when I ride my Scout. I love it so much but dread stopping and trying to hold my leg off the HOT pipe. I'm literally a new week old rider and just about 5'3. What in gods creation can I do besides losing 50 pounds on my thighs by tomorrow??

See less See more
#2 ·
HELP.... View attachment 24845
This is what happens when I ride my Scout. I love it so much but dread stopping and trying to hold my leg off the HOT pipe. I'm literally a new week old rider and just about 5'3. What in gods creation can I do besides losing 50 pounds on my thighs by tomorrow??
Short term buy DEI's heat shield. It comes in different sizes as shown in that link. Find the size you need, note the part number and see if you can find it cheaper. You should also note that the Scout exhaust runs a lot hotter until it's broken in. Myself, I've had great success keeping the heat down during break-in by having the oil changed. I've had it changed at 30, 500 and now 1500 miles.

#6 ·
If your leg touches the exhaust pipe on any bike it will burn you just like putting your hand on a hot oven will. When you stop try balancing the bike with your left leg and leave your right leg on the peg. Your bike is light enough to do that.

#15 ·
I do try to keep my foot on the right peg BUT although it may be light for some I still feel it's weight and am feeling a little unsteady being so new. I wear jeans and try to keep my right leg out or on its tip toe. It's all good, I understand it's all part of riding. I love my scout and will overcome this issue one way or another. Thx

#9 ·
Cobra and Samson make chrome heat shields for 2 1/4" pipes. I bought a 7" long shield for the upper pipe and a 4" shield for the lower. My wife is 5'-1" w/ short legs and her biggest concern was burning herself. I added the heat shields over top of the existing heat shields and she has no problem now. even when her chaps rest against the heat shields there is no burning. unless you are really looking you don't even notice the new heat shields. got them off Amazon, but you can probably find them elsewhere.

#20 ·
Hahaaaa, hell NO! I'm literally 8 days on this bike. I'm a whimp! I would never ever ever be stupid enough to do that. I've been on the back of bikes for years and never did then. I wear jeans, long sleeve, boots, and a helmet. I'm covered, that burn went through my pants and I keep riding daily. It won't stop me. Lol

#19 ·
The system does get cooler as you run the bike in. I would also suggest you try practicing, with the bike cold of course, balancing on your left leg while sitting on your bike. You can have someone there to help if required. Have your left foot flat on the ground and your right on the front peg. That will help you at lights, giveaways etc but of course it's not much help its time for the side stand to go down. I have found a position for my right foot when I stop which always means my leg and bike pants are always clear of the pipe. Check that out too. But if there is absolutely no position where your leg does not touch the pipe then yes, you have a real problem. From what others have said exhaust wrap lowers the temp by only a few degrees in real life. Hope this helps. We gotta keep you riding!
Alpal

Reactions: LH Rizzi
#27 ·
bassanni has new 2 into 1 exhaust coming out available the 15th that reroutes exhaust assy away from you leg.ceramic coating is nice also

#34 ·
I think everyone that rides motorcycles burns themselves at least once. It sucks, it hurts, but it happens. If you're literally a "week old rider," well, there you go. Doesn't help heal the burn, but just know that all of us have burned ourselves too.

#51 ·
Yeah I realize that, I've seen veteran riders with some burns, I really don't think it has to do with my week old riding. It's more my physical shape causing my issue. But thx I'll keep riding until I find a solution that works for me or I'll burn my leg to the bone. Lol

#35 ·
Well, you could use those wings I see in your avatar, instead of riding.

#38 ·
There was another thread on here with a shorter female Scout rider having the same problem, to the extent she considered selling the bike and taking a significant hit. Her solution was a Bassani 2-into-1 exhaust. Maybe not the cheapest solution, but she said it worked great for her.

Reactions: Nattie25
#45 ·
I'm beginning to think at least some Scouts have abnormally hot rear cylinder temps. I've been burned on mine a few times. Wearing jeans, no shorts, and not touching the pipe. Mine gets that hot. I'm starting to think its running way to lean. I've been riding a long time and never remember one getting quite this hot.

#52 ·
The Dobeck ELK fuel controller cooled my Vintage down at the top end but not sure of the pipes, I suppose if the jugs are cooler so are the pipes.

Thick sole boots or shoes wil give you some added height, allowing your legs room to move outbound. Personally I like both feet anchored on the pavement. It is a comfort thing with me, Avoid bad habits early and you won't have to pay for them later,

In addition to heat shields, there are many pipe options and more coming all the time. I am sure some of these will be of a lower profile which should offer you some relief and room to move.
Read the forum.... Much has been written in regard to the Scout pipe woes. Search posts by shiver.....She had similar issues early on and I haven't heard her complaining about them lately so perhaps she solved the problem...... from her perspective anyway.
Good luck and congrats again on the new Scout. Some pics would be mice btw!

Reactions: Nattie25
#55 ·
Nice bikes and nice bike room! My bike room is a garage full of stuff... I really admire you guys [and gals] that have a dedicated space for your rides!

#56 ·
Sorry that happened to you. I guess you do it once and you will never forget. I was five, never happened again.

Lots of good ideas in this thread, hope you get it figured out. Take care.

#60 ·
Nice scooters ya got there, you obviously have good taste in motorcycles. Hope you find a solution. You sound very dedicated so I'm sure you will resolve this. Lots of good ideas here. The exhaust wrap may be a quick and cheap fix. In the mean time eat your veggies and grow a little:) good luck Nattie 25.

#67 ·
I was at an Indian meeting today and a woman came in to sell some pot holders that were put together with Velcro or something to put them around certain area of pipes. Not sure what the temp is but if you can find some type of commercial pot holder to take the heat then wrap that around the danger zone until better solutions show up. I think she made them to put over fishtail pipes so they are softer when you trip over them....I should have listened better !

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.