Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys recommend front and rear fender bumpers? I know that front and rear highway bars are especially good to have Incase you lay it down but I’m not sure how useful the fender bumpers are. Have yours came in handy before? I have just transitioned from sport bikes so any advice is helpful.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,210 Posts
You are correct in your assumption, they are useless. Just for looks and not in a good way IMO

Reactions: Kevin Cranick

·
Founding member
1,019 Posts
Sorry guys but you have bad taste. :) I have the bumpers and love the look. Yep, I'm right. :) Okay, okay, it is personal taste. :) Oh, and by the way, I've had two riders who were convinced after hitting deer, head on, that their fenders would have been smashed into their tires and they would not have been able to ride on after the collisions. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
H
Sorry guys but you have bad taste. :) I have the bumpers and love the look. Yep, I'm right. :) Okay, okay, it is personal taste. :) Oh, and by the way, I've had two riders who were convinced after hitting deer, head on, that their fenders would have been smashed into their tires and they would not have been able to ride on after the collisions. Just something to think about.
Haha hey brother. I didn’t mean any harm. I’m sure you’re bike looks awesome, and you’re right. They may not be for me but I shouldn’t say they’re not pretty. I just want to ensure the protection of my ride without spending unnecessary money. Hitting deer huh? I can’t say I’ve ever considered that although I’ve ridden through my fair share of herds in the road. Have you heard of any other case where the fender bumpers have come in handy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks - oh yeah! Love my chrome front fender bumper.
Protection? Not on the highway, but I do credit it with avoiding a few dings moving it around a tight garage.
Not here to hate. I know a lot of guys love their chrome. Luckily for me I’ve got a clean and clear garage so I’m good there. I will just stick to the highway bars.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I can think of one particular instance where the front bumper would be nice. I was stopped on I70 at the Eisenhower tunnel when the car in front of me started to roll backwards. The bike was off so I ended up yelling since the horn wouldn't sound. It all happened in a second or two. In that case a bumper may have helped.

·
Founding member
568 Posts
I think the bumpers I added to my '14 Chieftain are the best add-ons I have. Yeah, they won't protect much, but add a lot of style to that huge front fender.

·
Founding member
1,019 Posts
H

Haha hey brother. I didn’t mean any harm. I’m sure you’re bike looks awesome, and you’re right. They may not be for me but I shouldn’t say they’re not pretty. I just want to ensure the protection of my ride without spending unnecessary money. Hitting deer huh? I can’t say I’ve ever considered that although I’ve ridden through my fair share of herds in the road. Have you heard of any other case where the fender bumpers have come in handy?
I have one that I hesitated to mention in my original post because I can't 'prove' that my front bumper helped but I think it's very possible. I was riding behind a large van on a frontage road in a construction area a few weeks ago and all of a sudden, at about 30 mph, I was confronted with a huge, weird shaped pothole for lack of a better term. I couldn't avoid it and I hit it dead on, was bucked from my seat it was so hard and the handle bars twisted quite a bit. It was the biggest pothole I've hit in my many years of riding. I checked everything on the front end and all is good, thankfully. A riding friend and my dealer feel the strength of the frame of the front bumper helped but who knows, the front forks are pretty stout themselves.
I always, well almost always, :) leave a lot of room between me and the vehicle in front of me. This was a good wake-up call. LEAVE MORE DISTANCE!!!

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Mainly, they are a "for looks" thing I think.

But they have saved many customers from having dented or chipped paint on their fenders. Backing in or pulling into a parking spot and there's a cinder block wall there. Any little nudge without a bumper, will most likely result in paint chipping away. Then if you don't get that taken care of. Then comes the rust and so on.

One might also take in consideration when taking your bike to service department. Whether they have your bike for just the day or multiple. There's always the possibility of them nudging your fender with a wall or with another bike. And yes, while that might be the responsibility to cover the costs of fixing. You're still going to be dealing with the situation of having to wait for parts/paint. Just something to think about.

I for one, wouldn't put them on my ride (I am of the sorts that removes weight, not adding it on). But I do think they look great on any heavyweight. Chrome or black.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,430 Posts
Would you guys recommend front and rear fender bumpers? I know that front and rear highway bars are especially good to have Incase you lay it down but I’m not sure how useful the fender bumpers are. Have yours came in handy before? I have just transitioned from sport bikes so any advice is helpful.
I borrowed this picture from @Snatch Mcc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
H

The bumpers sit pretty close to the ground, especially the rear one. IMHO while they might look nice, they’re not going to help much if you get rear ended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
H

<snip> Hitting deer huh? I can’t say I’ve ever considered that although I’ve ridden through my fair share of herds in the road. Have you heard of any other case where the fender bumpers have come in handy?
You only need to ride through one Mulie to understand what a difference the front bumper makes. I was probably around 45 mph when I hit a 250 lb+ doe that appeared from under a steep embankment. Slight tweak to the front fender, and no other damage. Worth considering.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I put front and back bumpers on my Roadmaster, I like the classic look and their mounting points are solid so-in some cases it will save your fenders,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would you guys recommend front and rear fender bumpers? I know that front and rear highway bars are especially good to have In case you lay it down but I’m not sure how useful the fender bumpers are. Have yours came in handy before? I have just transitioned from sport bikes so any advice is helpful.
Totally a personal decision. I have a 2017 Chief Classic and wouldn't consider the chrome protectors, however, I also have a 2019 Roadmaster Elite, which came with the chrome bumper protectors, and they look great!

·
Registered
422 Posts
On several occasions when backing the motorcycle up I've hit a curb and scratch the chrome tip at the bottom of the fender so I think the rear bumper would help with that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts