Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a lifelong mystery and contains variables of all kinds. I guess this question goes out to the non-fairing owners. I have a 16 dark horse, with the factory tinted low shield. I am 5'11" and looking for the proverbial smooth pocket of air. Have you guys found with these bikes that you can minimize turbulence over 75 mph with fork lowers at all? I get a little head shake with my current helmet, a Shoe RF-1200, but will be moving to a Simpson Mod Bandit soon.

I am not a huge fan of taking dragonflies to the face at 80mph, so what windshield setup do you find works best? I am considering the Clearview 16" recurve with a vent. Or do fork lowers break up the air to allow a nice pocket with a 14"?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Rider
2017 Springfield
994 Posts
I know, it's a lifelong mystery and contains variables of all kinds. I guess this question goes out to the non-fairing owners. I have a 16 dark horse, with the factory tinted low shield. I am 5'11" and looking for the proverbial smooth pocket of air. Have you guys found with these bikes that you can minimize turbulence over 75 mph with fork lowers at all? I get a little head shake with my current helmet, a Shoe RF-1200, but will be moving to a Simpson Mod Bandit soon.

I am not a huge fan of taking dragonflies to the face at 80mph, so what windshield setup do you find works best? I am considering the Clearview 16" recurve with a vent. Or do fork lowers break up the air to allow a nice pocket with a 14"?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Good morning. I am 6'3", so I probably sit a little higher in the saddle. I have a stock windshield on a '17 Springfield and had very bad buffeting above 55 MPH. I really do not know the height of the stock shield. I went with the fork mounted lowers and it had done wonders for me. For the summer, I just took the lowers and the windshield off, but will be putting everything back on as the temperatures drop.

Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
30 Posts
Northern the only advice I can give you is that I had a Clearview shield with the vent on a previous bike and to do it over I would save the money from the vent, IMHO it was worthless. The quality of the shield is good but the vent did nothing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Northern the only advice I can give you is that I had a Clearview shield with the vent on a previous bike and to do it over I would save the money from the vent, IMHO it was worthless. The quality of the shield is good but the vent did nothing.
Yeah that was my question kind of, since there is some flow under the shield and on top of the nacelle, would it even be necessary? I just rode out to the dealer and popped on a 16" factory and went for a spin, it stopped the buffeting. Any other shields you guys recommend?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good morning. I am 6'3", so I probably sit a little higher in the saddle. I have a stock windshield on a '17 Springfield and had very bad buffeting above 55 MPH. I really do not know the height of the stock shield. I went with the fork mounted lowers and it had done wonders for me. For the summer, I just took the lowers and the windshield off, but will be putting everything back on as the temperatures drop.

View attachment 648701
Same here

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

View attachment 648701
At over 6.3.my 2021 Springfield blew pretty bad over ,65. Four days later got the tall windshield made a huge difference . But still at ,80 it's not comfortable compared to my roadmaster I could hit 100 and not blow around. I'm interested in hearing about the lowers also

·
Registered
2021 Springfield
53 Posts
Ditto... I am 6'2" and I put the tall window (21 in PN 2880915) on first...and that helped somewhat with the buffeting, then I saw several posts on here that the lowers made a bigger difference. I went ahead and added lower deflectors (PN 2881023), and they did make a bigger change on the buffeting for me especially at 70+. I wear a modular HJC i90 or a modular Indian helmet. I am going to try putting on the original window with the lowers, and see what happens then. As for bugs, I keep S100 detailer and microfiber cloths in the saddlebags. Recently started using Turtlewax Ceramic 3 in 1 detailer... and it really works better to me than the S100 detailer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ditto... I am 6'2" and I put the tall window (21 in PN 2880915) on first...and that helped somewhat with the buffeting, then I saw several posts on here that the lowers made a bigger difference. I went ahead and added lower deflectors (PN 2881023), and they did make a bigger change on the buffeting for me especially at 70+. I wear a modular HJC i90 or a modular Indian helmet. I am going to try putting on the original window with the lowers, and see what happens then. As for bugs, I keep S100 detailer and microfiber cloths in the saddlebags. Recently started using Turtlewax Ceramic 3 in 1 detailer... and it really works better to me than the S100 detailer.
Looks like I need to get the lowers. Lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just put the lowers on, helped with buffeting but increased heat around legs, obviously.

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 648701
Where did you get the lowers?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer had them on their closeout table for a decent price. Next up is finding the right windshield, seems to be boiling down to Freedom or ClearView with the recurve and 16"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts