Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about at wits end - I'm trying to remove the rear Buddy Pegs on my '01 Chief and replace them with a pair of Lindby rear crash bars. They use the same mounting holes as the Buddy Pegs - but gosh, they just will not budge! And if I keep applying pressure to that 3/8" hex bolt, I'm going to wring-off that little nipple that holds the peg in the right orientation. WTF??!!

This should have been put on with Blue Loctite - Did the factory use RED?? (I assume the Factory, as my ride only has 1800 miles on it.) And if so, how do I heat this thing, without damaging the powder coating on the frame, or melting the billet aluminum peg?

I even tried removing the peg from the mount - pulled the 3/16" flat-head hex bolt (that holds the peg to the mount) thinking perhaps something might be in there to help... but hells bells, I cannot even get the peg to release from the mount! (sigh.)

Right now, I can fit a 3/8" Allen wrench on the bolt head _IF_ I lower the bike (strapped to the stand.) I don't think the bolt will come out though, as I cannot see it clearing the swing arm. Do I need to disconnect the shocks and drop the swing arm?? I already have the battery box/oil tank out. Starter and primary (inner and outer) are out as well. (Yes, we've been getting rather personal of late. :-o)

If I pull the rear fender, and drop the swing arm, I might have better access to the Buddy Peg's mounting bolt head... Is this what I need to do - heat the bolt head, rather then the buddy peg mount/stantion?

This is ... frustrating!!
Thoughts? Ideas? Offer of free labor??

- Michael

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Get a socket hex and long ratchet tap with hammer as you try to break it free. Stick your tongue out to the right, and keep saying you can do it baby over and over

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am just about at wits end - I'm trying to remove the rear Buddy Pegs on my '01 Chief and replace them with a pair of Lindby rear crash bars. They use the same mounting holes as the Buddy Pegs - but gosh, they just will not budge! And if I keep applying pressure to that 3/8" hex bolt, I'm going to wring-off that little nipple that holds the peg in the right orientation. WTF??!!

<snip>

Right now, I can fit a 3/8" Allen wrench on the bolt head _IF_ I lower the bike (strapped to the stand.) I don't think the bolt will come out though, as I cannot see it clearing the swing arm. Do I need to disconnect the shocks and drop the swing arm?? I already have the battery box/oil tank out. Starter and primary (inner and outer) are out as well. (Yes, we've been getting rather personal of late. :-o)

If I pull the rear fender, and drop the swing arm, I might have better access to the Buddy Peg's mounting bolt head... Is this what I need to do - heat the bolt head, rather then the buddy peg mount/stantion?
<snip>

- Michael
MAN! You weren't kidding when you said your bike had exploded all over your garage!
I'm beginning to lose interest in buying a set of crash bars if this is the excruciating lengths required.... :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAN! You weren't kidding when you said your bike had exploded all over your garage!
I'm beginning to lose interest in buying a set of crash bars if this is the excruciating lengths required.... :)
Good luck!
I was reading on another Indian list where a gent ran into this same problem - back in 2005. He had to remove the buddy pegs to make way for separate dual mufflers.

Long and short of it was he pulled the rear fender, dropped the Progressive Shocks, lifted the bike up on the jack which then lowered the swing arm to gain unfettered access to the Buddy Peg bolts.

The only way to get red loctite loose.. is with heat. Local shop said I needed to apply heat to the outside of the peg mount. I looked at him.. and said "I would need a thermal blanket then to prevent the powder coating on the frame from blistering!" And he looked at me, and said "yeah, so?" "But its Aluminum." I said... he said "what's your point?" sigh.

So I stopped by the local welding shop and bought a 3' square thermal blanket.

Its only time... plus money if I screw it up, right? :oops:

Hope I can finish it before Bike Week... 2017! [happy]

-Michael

·
Registered
425 Posts
Assume Red Loctite is on EVERYTHING on your Gilroy. I owned 2 of em and that was my experience. On my 2002 Chief I followed the process outlined by mmjak with the exception of the fender. Three of us on a cheater bar were able to break them loose. I was putting the passenger floorboards on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts