Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a single bubble on the front brake reservoir window.

Would this be a concern?

2018 Chief Dark Horse with 3,200miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are two things happening here.

Firstly, that little 'bubble' is really a part of the plastic window and nothing to worry about.

Secondly, your fluid level looks to be too high, but that depends on how the bike is sitting. If you sit on the bike and hold it upright and with the bars pointed forward, there should be some empty air space in the top of the window. An overfull reservoir can mean your brake pads won't rest away from the rotor and will drag, causing heat and wear.

You can check this for yourself, and if you are confident you can remove some fluid. Hold the bike upright or get somebody else to do that for you. Position the bike so the reservoir lid is level.

Clean the top of the reservoir thoroughly and fold an old clean towel around it to protect from any spill. Remove the screws. Lift the top off, then lift out the rubber inner cover. Dip some clean and dry fabric into the fluid to lower the level, or use a syringe or similar, until you see some clear air in the top of the window. Replace the rubber cover and the top. Screw it up and you're done.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
This is from my bike. The little plastic thing is there but in a different position.

My level will need a top up soon, but I've got 55,000 kms on the brake pads so they are worn down a bit and the level drops accordingly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are two things happening here.

Firstly, that little 'bubble' is really a part of the plastic window and nothing to worry about.

Secondly, your fluid level looks to be too high, but that depends on how the bike is sitting. If you sit on the bike and hold it upright and with the bars pointed forward, there should be some empty air space in the top of the window. An overfull reservoir can mean your brake pads won't rest away from the rotor and will drag, causing heat and wear.

You can check this for yourself, and if you are confident you can remove some fluid. Hold the bike upright or get somebody else to do that for you. Position the bike so the reservoir lid is level.

Clean the top of the reservoir thoroughly and fold an old clean towel around it to protect from any spill. Remove the screws. Lift the top off, then lift out the rubber inner cover. Dip some clean and dry fabric into the fluid to lower the level, or use a syringe or similar, until you see some clear air in the top of the window. Replace the rubber cover and the top. Screw it up and you're done.
Thanks for the info I’ll check it sitting and holding it upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts