Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the kit for the brown leather and I put it on.The kit has three steps.First you clean it then dye it then seal it the kit comes with all three.I cleaned the leather and then dyed it but then when i sealed the seats the dye started to come out and now it has streaks on it thinking about redyeing it.Has anyone else used the kit from Indian and have they had this happen?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got my kit so I haven't tried it yet. Did you let the dye dry real good befor applying the sealer? I talked with the Indian folks at Sturgis. They seemed to think the kit would fix things right up.....
i've got multiple colors going on. The backrest, the seat, the tops of my saddlebags and my saddlebags are all different colors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did mine and it looks great. Everything matches again. Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter regarding the drying times between the products. It is super hot and humid here in East Texas. I let my dye dry for over 8 hours before I did the sealer. I took my time with the sealer and did the three coats spread over three hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I let the dye dry for about 14 hours.Then I started the sealing but the back seat has streaks and i could see the dye on the sponge that they give us.I did not seal the bags I am going to give the bags until tomorrow to dry.I got them at a great color and do not want them to look bad.I need to know if I should redye the seat.but do I need to get the seal off or can the dye just be put on over the sealant.If anyone knows that would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WARNING! WARNING! I received my leather kit and decided to use it over the weekend. My wife and I watched the video three times and read the instructions until we could recite them word for word. The first and second steps went well and everything looked great. THEN_______after letting everything dry over night we started to apply the sealer. STOP DON'T DO IT! As soon as we started to apply the sealer everything went to hell In a hand basket. The sealer smeared the die immediately and any attempt to apply it evenly made it worse. YES IT WAS DRY!!!! VERY DRY!!!! No die would wipe of on a towel before we started the sealer. I wouldn't wish this on anybody. Except maybe INDIAN

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Fred-

Yours is the second story that I've heard like this. A streaked up mess, apparently from the sealer smearing the dye.
So don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I really can't give you any advice because I am no where near a leather expert.

What I suggest is that you visit some other Indian forums and read what the other guys are going through. Google Indian Community Forum and also Indian Chief Forum. Believe me, there is plenty of message traffic on this very topic.

Very early on these forums gave me guidance in dying my leather with products that I got from Tandy Leather. When I got word that Indian was going to step up and supply us with dye and sealer I was glad and looked forward to doing my stuff "their way"....not now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Big daddy
Thanks, Tandy Leather was recommended to me by a friend too. I wish I had went with his advice instead I relied on hopes that Indian would do the right thing. I used the supplied cleaner and removed the die. The dye penetrated some panels and others just washed right off. I'm going to Tandy Leather for advice.

·
Early joiner
90 Posts
I just used the Indian provided product on my seat. I watched the video and studied the instructions. I did as instructed and I am quite pleased with the results. I had concerns after reading some of the above horror stories but I am happy to report that my seat has returned to a color that matches all of my other leather. I did allow the dye to dry for sixteen hours before the first seal coat went on. The sponge used for the seal coat had some dye on it but there was no smearing on the leather. I allowed 30 minutes dry time between the first and second seal coat and six hours before the third and final seal coat. My only mistake was not using gloves when putting the seal coats on. My fingertips also match my leather.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I followed the instructions exactly and watched the video. After the dye I let it sit for 16 hours. A beautiful day at 70s and low humidity (which is rare). Started to seal it and there were the streaks. The dye was now on the clean sponge and things were getting messy. I softly worked the sealer with the sponge, got rid of the streaks (most of them anyway) and after a few hours of work it looked okay. I let it sit for 12 hours and applied the second coat of sealer. Another 12 hours and the final coat of sealer. I can't say I am impressed with the outcome but it is better than my extremely faded leather was. The good news is I took a five state trip, rode through rain and the dye did not come off, did not get on my clothes and still looks the same as when I finished it all. The bike is an absolute mess but the leather looks okay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A friend of mine bought a 2014 "Vinny" a few weeks ago. His leather restore kit came in and he has already used it. Didn't need to as no fading had occurred yet, but assumed doing so now should prevent fading down the road. He's very happy with the results and had no streaking issues. Again, I suspect this is because he hadn't let it fade. If I had a new 2014 right now, I think I'd be "pro-active" on it also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its obvious some of us who purchased our Indians early (February) got a different product than later purchased bikes. The sides of my saddlebags dyed fine. The tops of the saddlebags, the passenger seat, the passenger backrest and main seat didn't dye They just smeared. They don't even look like leather. My bike is garaged and has never set long in the sun. I will stop at every Harley shop I pass and show them my great leather.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My question is this. Has Indian made the change on the 15's regarding the tan seats so this doesn't happen anymore???

·
Registered
62 Posts
I started this project yesterday and completed the first two steps. (clean & dye) I'll start on the final phase (sealing) tonight.
I've attached a before photo and will post the final result photo. image.jpg
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
As a lesson learned - One I got my leather back to where I wanted it I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. It is a water based UV blocker that, if you decide to use it, goes on after your final coat of sealer. I've used this stuff for years on jet skis, boats, tractor seats, etc (yes I know I have WAAAAY too many toys). My experience is that it really blocks UV rays effectively and helps color retention on many surfaces. Google it to find a retailer if you're interested. I buy mine at West Marine. (ps - I have no affiliation with the product. Just sharing a good experience). Semper Fi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the kit yesterday. The dye streaks when the sealer is applied. The instructions were followed to a tee. I have not decided what to do. I actually do not mind the look. It looks stressed. That may be what the kit was trying to do. I do not know. I am disappointed on the silence from Indian on some of these issues though. I have heard nothing from them on the upper end valve clatter either. Silence.

·
Registered
62 Posts
image.jpg The finished project. I'm pleased for the most part. No streaks but I wasn't able to cover up the mark on my seat, left by the seam on my rain pants. (We got soaked one day at Sturgis...). Time to ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Indian has taken the stance that the streaking is caused from incorrect application of the dye kit. The dye is water based and will smear when the liquid sealer is applied no matter how long you let the dye dry. Indian needs to step up and make this right, they should have used an oil based dye not water based.
Our Vintages will suffer diminished depreciation due to this defect and Vintage owners should seek restitution from Indian / Polaris. It is time for a class action lawsuit to be filed against Indian / Polaris. There warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is definitely not due to incorrect application. Unless their instruction are faulty. I do not believe that excuse in the least. But, in reality, Indian should have fixed this problem, not pawn it off on the customer. This should be a warranty fix at the dealer level at the least. I don't think it looks terribly bad. But, you are right about diminished value due to defect.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Indian has taken the stance that the streaking is caused from incorrect application of the dye kit. The dye is water based and will smear when the liquid sealer is applied no matter how long you let the dye dry. Indian needs to step up and make this right, they should have used an oil based dye not water based.
Our Vintages will suffer diminished depreciation due to this defect and Vintage owners should seek restitution from Indian / Polaris. It is time for a class action lawsuit to be filed against Indian / Polaris. There warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.
Definition of 'Warranty'

A type of guarantee that a manufacturer or similar party makes regarding the condition of its product. It also refers to the terms and situations in which repairs or exchanges will be made in the event that the product does not function as originally described or intended.

I'd like to say that I'm pretty well versted in the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and you and your class action partners would have to prove, in a court of law, that you have actually lost money due to abnormal depreciation because of sun fading on leather. I think that would be pretty tough to prove and didn't Indian provide us 2014 owners a buy back guarantee? ....and hasn't your dealer indicated they would make this right with you?

I can sympathize with those who's leather has turned that white'ish beige color, however I think pressure on the manufacturer, not a class action suit (if you could even get an ambulance chaser to take that on), would be the best course. JMHO

1 - 20 of 62 Posts