Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly...What are forum readers experiences with rod failures and 585 cams ? Facts only please. Is the failure only high rpm ? Any rpm ? How often is there a failure ? Any factual information welcome.

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
Go to the 111 Performance section grab your favorite drink....start reading. Tons of info about on 585 cams and pre 2019 valve spring issues with aggressive cams, no so much on connecting rods.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I don’t think there has been any failures with con rods with just 585 cams alone.

Are you thinking valve springs?
I have the 2019. The springs are already good, but Thank You
Go to the 111 Performance section grab your favorite drink....start reading. Tons of info about on 585 cams and pre 2019 valve spring issues with aggressive cams, no so much on connecting rods.

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
Then have at it I would have went with a 19 if we would have known about the valve springs issue then but eventually I’ll do new springs and a different cam or BBK we will see

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I can't recall any con-rod problem with 585 cams. The con-rod problem was with the early 116 kits and it was not many bikes but clearly an issue that needed attention. I've got friends who had 116 kits with no problem. Once the new kit was introduced the dealers got those bikes back in for the new rods.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Dr. Shifty is correct. The con rods were an issue on the early BBK's. That's why Indian pulled the BBK kit off the market and redesigned the rods utilizing Carillo for manufacturing. The original BBK's did not include the rods. The revised kits now includes on the 2014-2018 engine kits.

It was the valve springs that were an issue with the 585 on the older bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr. Shifty is correct. The con rods were an issue on the early BBK's. That's why Indian pulled the BBK kit off the market and redesigned the rods utilizing Carillo for manufacturing. The original BBK's did not include the rods. The revised kits now includes on the 2014-2018 engine kits.

It was the valve springs that were an issue with the 585 on the older bikes.
Thank You

·
Bronze member
2,202 Posts
Doubt if you'll find much if anything about rod failures with just cams, even 585s. Good cams, like mine a lot.

Reactions: Lodge keeper

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
Exactly...What are forum readers experiences with rod failures and 585 cams ? Facts only please. Is the failure only high rpm ? Any rpm ? How often is there a failure ? Any factual information welcome.

Sounds like you my have had a rod failure, is that correct?

Like others said the very first BBK kits there was three bikes we knew of had rod failures. Indian stopped selling the kits and beefed up the con rods and replaced all the con rods in the existing kits. Never again hear of any issues. That's why I asked if you had a rod fail on your 2019

·
Bronze member
1,231 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 2019 models ALL already have the better connecting rods and valve springs that would be required on a 116 CI motor? If so, then Lodge Keeper is good to go with whatever cams that his he desires.

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 2019 models ALL already have the better connecting rods and valve springs that would be required on a 116 CI motor? If so, then Lodge Keeper is good to go with whatever cams that his he desires.

The valve springs yes. But the BBK kit for the 2019 models includes con rods

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you my have had a rod failure, is that correct?

Like others said the very first BBK kits there was three bikes we knew of had rod failures. Indian stopped selling the kits and beefed up the con rods and replaced all the con rods in the existing kits. Never again hear of any issues. That's why I asked if you had a rod fail on your 2019
No....no failure. Going to increase the HP. I have read other posts, one referred to the rod durability as "wimpy" , as well as other comments. Also, the release of beefed up rods seemed to confirm things. Your input is useful, for both financial and "peace of mind" reasons. The dealer is installing 585 cams. My concerns about rods and clutch springs are resolved. Only the cams will be installed. Thank You for all the input

1 - 13 of 13 Posts