Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its broke once again. Same issue that was "supposed to be fixed" Went to take wife to get some seafood, started up, rolled outta driveway, started running like crap and engine quit 500ft from home, multiple attempts to restart, finally did get it started and got it home. Called dealer, he was shocked it happend again, can do nothing til Monday. So another weekend with a broken bike. Really doubting this purchase, and really doubting this bike to go anywhere as it may break dwon again. Not about to get stranded, especially for the price paid. Will have to wait til Monday to talk to Indian/Polaris to find out what they will do as I don't trust this bike anymore. May have to use the Lemon Law. Very disappointing as I like this bike alot, just not enough to put up with ride a week, broke a week.owned for a month, ridden 2 weeks, been broke 2 weeks. Will keep ya posted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#2 cylinder misfire, bike road fine yesterday, go to ride today, wont idle at all. Have the 3 strike rule here. But for not even having bike for a month, broke down every other week ???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And who knows how long they'll have it this time, nothing like paying for something I cant use. I'm an ex Victory owner so I thought this would be a "safe" purchase, really doubting it now. Looking into my options....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Being a non-running, safety issue I would not worry to much about it. I know of a couple of new Honda Wing purchasers who had issues with the new DCT when Honda introduced them and Honda offered full refund or a replacement new bike. I am sure Polaris will do nothing less as they are very competitive! It will be interesting to see if this is what they do/how they respond. Best wishes and please keep us posted!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
#2 cylinder misfire, bike road fine yesterday, go to ride today, wont idle at all. Have the 3 strike rule here. But for not even having bike for a month, broke down every other week ???
I was forced to use the lemon law on my Springfield, made me very hesitant to purchase an Indian again, but they made it right. Hope they can find a solution, I haven't had as much fun on a motorcycle in my life as I have had on the Challenger, love this bike.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm sorry you got a bike with a bad part.

Just bad luck. Indian will straighten it out. Hang in there!

It's under warranty!

·
Silver member
3,521 Posts
Wow that is disappointing hope you get the bugger fixed.

Reactions: HINK

·
Bronze member
3,562 Posts
does it have anything to do with the cylinder deactivation for idle during hot?... I don't have it but it isn't supposed to turn on until engine is X amount of warmth.. maybe yours is stuck on...

·
Bronze member
1,324 Posts
I have to ask if you might suspect your fuel supplier might have tainted gas? The way you describe the breakdown is similar to bad fuel and if you’re refueling at the same station each time? Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1st refuel no issues, 200+ miles, 2nd reuel ended the 320 mile trip. 2nd refuel had me questioning that. 3rd refuel same as 1st. Bike will hopefully be picked up tomorrow, and phone call to Indian/Polaris first thing in the AM. Started bike today, seems rear cylinder is not firing, so limp mode. I didnt pay what i did to be able to ride every other week/in shop every other week. Will see how this gets handled as original dealer cares less and I was forced to go to another dealership, which needs approval from Polaris to pick up and work on my bike. Almost to point of throwing in towel and wiping my hands of Indian/Polaris.

·
Rider
551 Posts
What did they do to fix it the first time. Not trying to be snarky but I'm finding your posts devoid of details which a dealer absolutely needs for a first time fix!

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Could be computer, could be faulty wiring harness, could be a multitude of things. I’d give Polaris one more try and if no fix, demand a different bike or money back. Lemon law if nessasary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BobbyP, they cleared the faults and could not duplicate. 4 days later same fault codes. I've given the dealership all the info, kept it short here. Bike won't idle, its a paperweight/boat anchor til its fixed. Just pissed its spent more time at the shop then me riding. I love the bike, just 2nd guessing if its worth the hassle.

·
Rider
551 Posts
So in other words they found nothing, fixed nothing and then they ( and you ) were surprised when it happened again??? You have an intermittent electrical problem, a mechanics worst nightmare (owners too ).

You have to hope that whatever is intermittent, fails totally otherwise it will be extremely difficult to diagnose. Or that the problem happens to others and is diagnosed that way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I know, I'm an airplane mechanic and everything I deal with is black boxes. I haven't had a chance to check out a schematic, I'm supposed to have the best dealership here in Florida working on it, so tomorrow I call Polaris and dealership to find out what the plan will be. Really bad part supposed to be nice weather this week.

·
Rider
909 Posts
Well, its broke once again. Same issue that was "supposed to be fixed" Went to take wife to get some seafood, started up, rolled outta driveway, started running like crap and engine quit 500ft from home, multiple attempts to restart, finally did get it started and got it home. Called dealer, he was shocked it happend again, can do nothing til Monday. So another weekend with a broken bike. Really doubting this purchase, and really doubting this bike to go anywhere as it may break dwon again. Not about to get stranded, especially for the price paid. Will have to wait til Monday to talk to Indian/Polaris to find out what they will do as I don't trust this bike anymore. May have to use the Lemon Law. Very disappointing as I like this bike alot, just not enough to put up with ride a week, broke a week.owned for a month, ridden 2 weeks, been broke 2 weeks. Will keep ya posted.
Have you read PG 45 of the owner's manual concerning Misfire Detection ?
If a misfire is detected the fuel to that cylinder is cut off and restarting clears the trouble code and restores fuel. The third time it happens , the check engine light will stay on and fuel will be cut to the cylinder, basically , game over.

·
Registered
383 Posts
And who knows how long they'll have it this time, nothing like paying for something I cant use. I'm an ex Victory owner so I thought this would be a "safe" purchase, really doubting it now. Looking into my options....
If they have it more than two weeks and for loan payment or equivalent.

·
Rider
909 Posts
I had a code for the ABS happen so I looked it up and it said over inflating the tires could cause it and I just had a 500 mile service and my front tire was 42 lbs ( supposed to be 36 ).
I had some time this morning and I reset the tire pressures and wondered how the other service items came out. First off I checked the oil as prescribed by the owners manual and it was overfilled. Above the measurement area into the rod, so I withdrew the proper amount. Next I checked the coolant level and it was low, below the full line by an inch.
Why quit now , I opened the battery compartment and the positive terminal on my battery was finger tight. The ground was good.
I must confess that the 3 Indian shops I have visited over the years have employed the most non professional mechanics I have ever seen. I'm not saying that don't know their stuff , they just don't care , and it's not just Indian it seems all service people care about is their cell phone.
So before you start bragging about your mechanic see how your bike measures up after next service.

1 - 20 of 321 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.