Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time in 30 years this has happened, took at cooler in the trunk, it leaked, I did not catch it for 3 weeks, open the trunk today and my leather coat has several brown spots on it and my indian gloves even worse. I used leather conditioner on both and they look 100% better. Has anyone ever put their leather coat in the dryer on low heat or air fluff, want to make sure it drys out. Also any words of wisdom on revitalizing the leather is welcome.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
First time in 30 years this has happened, took at cooler in the trunk, it leaked, I did not catch it for 3 weeks, open the trunk today and my leather coat has several brown spots on it and my indian gloves even worse. I used leather conditioner on both and they look 100% better. Has anyone ever put their leather coat in the dryer on low heat or air fluff, want to make sure it drys out. Also any words of wisdom on revitalizing the leather is welcome.
I had a similar experience I first washed the coat out with some bi carb soda by rubbing it onto the leather making sire not to go over board, you do not want to have the leather soaked just damp and even stocks .allow it to dry to a powder in an ope aired place once that dries to a powder wipe the excess off and allow it to air some more, They find a box or container place the jacket and gloves into it with some ,Damp free moisture absorber similar to the one here and see how that goes .It should clean it and allow it to be restored to near new .If it is successful after doing all that get a good conditioner and give the jacket and gloves a good coat. I did that and worked but still had a musty smell so too it to a dry cleaners , it was much the same but left it in a place that had lots of fresh air circulation and now its like new again. Good luck, I am sure your going to get lots of advise on this too. Last of all might help leaving some of this in your saddle bags ,once the mould is gone just vacuum the beads out. Rice also works to absorb moisture .Last of all do not put your leather in a drier it is not recommended I know some guys have not always with success ,it depends on the type of leather etc. NOT WORTH taking the risk. A dry cleaner that does leather would be a better option .
IMG_1052.jpg

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar experience I first washed the coat out with some bi carb soda by rubbing it onto the leather making sire not to go over board, you do not want to have the leather soaked just damp and even stocks .allow it to dry to a powder in an ope aired place once that dries to a powder wipe the excess off and allow it to air some more, They find a box or container place the jacket and gloves into it with some ,Damp free moisture absorber similar to the one here and see how that goes .It should clean it and allow it to be restored to near new .If it is successful after doing all that get a good conditioner and give the jacket and gloves a good coat. I did that and worked but still had a musty smell so too it to a dry cleaners , it was much the same but left it in a place that had lots of fresh air circulation and now its like new again. Good luck, I am sure your going to get lots of advise on this too. Last of all might help leaving some of this in your saddle bags ,once the mould is gone just vacuum the beads out. Rice also works to absorb moisture .Last of all do not put your leather in a drier it is not recommended I know some guys have not always with success ,it depends on the type of leather etc. NOT WORTH taking the risk. A dry cleaner that does leather would be a better option .
View attachment 521930
thanks Geoff I have the trunk on the bike dry, and sprayed Lysol on the liner, that part is done.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
thanks Geoff I have the trunk on the bike dry, and sprayed Lysol on the liner, that part is done.
Best of luck with the rest. I know even after I did all the above I still had to leave my jacket is a airy place as it still smelt mouldy ever after being dry cleaned .

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best of luck with the rest. I know even after I did all the above I still had to leave my jacket is a airy place as it still smelt mouldy ever after being dry cleaned .
we have the same color bikes even, wow

·
Bronze member
2,267 Posts
I wouldn't put the leather jacket in the dryer...maybe hang up out in the sun. I had this happen to my leather jacket when I left it in a wall locker in my garage one summer (I live in the Deep South). I was able to use a damp cloth to wipe the mold off, then used Doc Bailey's black leather treatment.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I wouldn't put the leather jacket in the dryer...maybe hang up out in the sun. I had this happen to my leather jacket when I left it in a wall locker in my garage one summer (I live in the Deep South). I was able to use a damp cloth to wipe the mold off, then used Doc Bailey's black leather treatment.
I would be more likely to put it in a dry area out of the sun as it will drive the leather out ,under a well vented shaded area would be mush better ,it might take longer but wont dry the leather out like direct sun light would.

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
Don't put it anywhere where it will dry quickly, that can result in uneven shrinking and buckling.
An airy place in the shade is better than full sun.
Don't try to wash it with anything that will soak in, this can get into the inner fibres and start to damage the natural bonding of the leather.
Clean it with leather conditioner, but once again don't use so much that is soaks in. Smear it on and buff off with a good cloth. You only want the conditioner to form a protective layer over the top.
A 50/50 mix of water and vinegar can kill a lot of mold, but once again don't soak. Just wipe on and wipe off.
If you take it to a dry cleaner, make sure they know how to deal with leather. I've had a dress leather jacket come back stiff and coarse after cleaning and it took a lot of slow buffing with leather dressing to make it soft and supple again.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Don't put it anywhere where it will dry quickly, that can result in uneven shrinking and buckling.
An airy place in the shade is better than full sun.
Don't try to wash it with anything that will soak in, this can get into the inner fibres and start to damage the natural bonding of the leather.
Clean it with leather conditioner, but once again don't use so much that is soaks in. Smear it on and buff off with a good cloth. You only want the conditioner to form a protective layer over the top.
A 50/50 mix of water and vinegar can kill a lot of mold, but once again don't soak. Just wipe on and wipe off.
If you take it to a dry cleaner, make sure they know how to deal with leather. I've had a dress leather jacket come back stiff and coarse after cleaning and it took a lot of slow buffing with leather dressing to make it soft and supple again.
Kim , Adamstown dry cleaners near the rail way gates ,are the only ones that do leather here in Newcastle . they take about two weeks to clean and treat your leather ,as the old man who is retired has not passed his trade onto his son. Cost around $50.00 but they also condition it too.

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
Kim , Adamstown dry cleaners near the rail way gates ,are the only ones that do leather here in Newcastle . they take about two weeks to clean and treat your leather ,as the old man who is retired has not passed his trade onto his son. Cost around $50.00 but they also condition it too.
That's the one I went to where the jacket came back in worse condition than it started.

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
Clean it really good like suggested. Hang it in our garage with it unzipped and fully open and put a fan on it continuously for several days to dry it.

I would not recommend direct sunlight...

Reactions: Twister
1 - 13 of 13 Posts