Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thunder Works provides connections to the breather tubes on all of our intakes. The "Ripper" intakes for the 111 and 116 bikes include a plug so you can opt out of running the breather tube back into the intake. It requires installing a small filter or some way to catch any oil drops. So I am curious how many of you connect the breather tube as intended. Who doesn't connect the tube and why? No trick here, I am just curious. I am addressing any brand of intake.

This photo shows a Ripper intake with a breather tube and the other shows the plug for the breather tube inlet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've got a Wimmer A/C and installed it with the breather tube into the A/C and it's LOUD. Around certain RPMs I can hear a "clatter" - apparently that's the lifter sound being routed into the A/C that I'm hearing. I've since ordered a filter for the breather tube to have it vent into the atmosphere just to get rid that damn noise. I've got the filter, just can't find a "plug" to fill the whole in the back of the Wimmer A/C. Right now I'm in a holding pattern.

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
used K&N filter on the breathing tube for a season to keep oil out of filter. sitting on hot days in traffic there were clouds of oil vapor coming from the filter. Made a mess of the fuel tank. Decided to go back to the air filter.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a Wimmer A/C and installed it with the breather tube into the A/C and it's LOUD. Around certain RPMs I can hear a "clatter" - apparently that's the lifter sound being routed into the A/C that I'm hearing. I've since ordered a filter for the breather tube to have it vent into the atmosphere just to get rid that damn noise. I've got the filter, just can't find a "plug" to fill the whole in the back of the Wimmer A/C. Right now I'm in a holding pattern.
If you can give me dimensions for a plug I can draw and 3D print one for you. I use a special resin printer so the parts are gas, oil and temperature safe. You can glue it in place with silicon glue. No charge.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
FWIW I have vented my head breathers to a catch can for years. Routing all that oil vapor and oily water vapor back into the intake to be burned causes lots of carbon build up on the pistons and exhaust valves over time. I dump my catch can every oil change. What comes out is pretty messy and I'm glad it's not going back through the engine.

Reactions: defears21

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a voodoo on this bike and last. Neither had gases and oil vented grime going from head to air cleaner. I use a 1/2” rubber hose to a filter tucked up into the space below the gas tank, into the upper frame. There’s a little 2 bolt frame block off you can remove. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
I appreciate that. However someone with the same A/C needs to chime in with those dimensions. I can't read a ruler. I failed basic math many many times so my dimensions probably wouldn't even be correct. Honest truth, no sarcasm meant at all.

If you can give me dimensions for a plug I can draw and 3D print one for you. I use a special resin printer so the parts are gas, oil and temperature safe. You can glue it in place with silicon glue. No charge.

·
Rider
859 Posts
I’ve recently installed the Voodoo and added a small filter to the hose and tucked that into the tank recess. I can smell the oil vapors when idling but it’s not overpowering. I haven’t noticed and oil seepage yet but I may install a catch can at some point. BTW the voodoo doesn’t route the breather into the throttle, it’s just runs into the backing plate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got tired of the noise and also noticed oil on the filter after a few thousand miles with the vent connected to the Wimmer. I order a 1/2" oil resistant line and brass filter and stuck it up the frame hole. If you are still needing to plug the hole in the back of the Wimmer, you can use a 1/4 mnpt plug from your favorite hardware store. I hope this helps.

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
I have a voodoo on this bike and last. Neither had gases and oil vented grime going from head to air cleaner. I use a 1/2” rubber hose to a filter tucked up into the space below the gas tank, into the upper frame. There’s a little 2 bolt frame block off you can remove. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea i do the same thing----

·
German rider
711 Posts
Routed a tube down next to the oil filter.
So drips could... but, there was no drip, no noticeable moisture at all since apx. 4,000 km.
Maybe due reduced oil capacity (5 Liter max) or that no (little) vac is sucking on it... I don't know.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I tried a Google search for a 1/4 mnpt plug. Nothing came up. What is that exactly?
Thanks.

If you are still needing to plug the hole in the back of the Wimmer, you can use a 1/4 mnpt plug from your favorite hardware store. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The original link wasnt working but i have fixed that

Interesting topic. I've been monitoring the responses to see different results people post. Let me know how it works out for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The responses are interesting. I personally run the breather tube back into the intake. I don't think the small amount of oil and fumes will do much to rob performance or break the engine down. But I can see the point of not doing it. It seems that getting the oil to go through a small filter and drip into some kind of catch can will work well. It just takes more effort to set this up.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The responses are interesting. I personally run the breather tube back into the intake. I don't think the small amount of oil and fumes will do much to rob performance or break the engine down. But I can see the point of not doing it. It seems that getting the oil to go through a small filter and drip into some kind of catch can will work well. It just takes more effort to set this up.
FWIW I have vented my head breathers to a catch can for years. Routing all that oil vapor and oily water vapor back into the intake to be burned causes lots of carbon build up on the pistons and exhaust valves over time. I dump my catch can every oil change. What comes out is pretty messy and I'm glad it's not going back through the engine.
I've got a catch can on my SRT8. It's amazing how full it gets and how quickly it becomes full. Which reminds me, I've got to go empty that soon. I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a catch-can for the breather tube on the bike yet.

The original link wasnt working but i have fixed that

Interesting topic. I've been monitoring the responses to see different results people post. Let me know how it works out for you.
Thanks for fixing the link. I ordered the part, it will be here on Monday and I will let you know how it works out.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
I wonder if us non California guys could order the vapor canister for our bikes and mount it and run the hosing for it through there?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wonder if us non California guys could order the vapor canister for our bikes and mount it and run the hosing for it through there?
Intersting. Does this even apply to me considering that I am California with the vapor canister? Or would I need to do something different because of the vapor canister?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
943 Posts
For the everyday rider putting the tube into to AC makes no difference. When you don't want that tube in the AC is when you are trying to get 9s in the 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts