Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a new Scout 60 that my local dealership has for sale with 34 miles on the odometer. When I asked the sales rep how the miles were accumulated, I was told the bike was loaned out for a test drive.

When taking engine break-in into consideration, would you guys be concerned with the amount of miles already on the bike? My thinking is the person that drove the bike could have driven it like a scalded ape for those first 34 miles.

Just curious..

Thanks!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
I came across a new Scout 60 that my local dealership has for sale with 34 miles on the odometer. When I asked the sales rep how the miles were accumulated, I was told the bike was loaned out for a test drive.

When taking engine break-in into consideration, would you guys be concerned with the amount of miles already on the bike? My thinking is the person that drove the bike could have driven it like a scalded ape for those first 34 miles.

Just curious..

Thanks!
'No matter what he did, it was not hurt....Maybe even helped it a little?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've test ridden several bikes and never came close to abusing one. Now, renting, that might be another outcome, but not test riding. I doubt many would. After all, your trying to see if it's a bike you want to own and the last thing I want to do is wreck it.

Are they offering a good deal on it verses one with 3 miles? Ask them to throw in the extended warranty at their cost if your worried about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd have no concerns with a bike with 34 miles. I'd also have no concerns with a scout with 5K miles. The latter will give you the same experience and save you thousands of dollars. These are very reliable bikes. I've seen low mileage Scouts and Scout Sixty's for as little as $8k. Keep in mind that the prices you see on CycleTrader are just asking prices. The people selling these bikes aren't being flooded with offers. It's a buyers market. I picked up a 2017 Sixty with 1300 miles for a little of nothing. To me, 1300 miles is "new". It also had the factory saddle bags, floor boards and upgraded headlight. Buying "new" is important to some, but I would strongly advise comparing the "new" price to the "used" price and making a "value" determination. My guess is that you could get a similarly equipped bike for as little as $6.5K. If you're feeling generous. offer $7.5K. These are excellent bikes, but as anyone that has tried to sell one will tell you, "nobody is being flooded with offers".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies and information. I decided to go with a new Scout ABS Deep Water Metallic not because of the mileage on the Scout 60 but due to the color and slightly higher engine output of the Scout.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts