Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, with so many PV-3 threads it's a bit confusing and I want to make sure I've got the steps outlined to get the most out of this purchase.

Heres what I've got: 2018 Springfield just added the Indian stage one performance intake and V&H turn downs. No mods to the CAT or headers. In the box PV-3 purchased from Fuel Moto 2 weeks ago.

1. Download the Dynojet Power Core software
2. Make sure I've got the latest firmware on the PV-3
3. Copy stock tune files from Bike to PV-3
4. Back up stock tune files from bike to PC in a safe folder
5. Load one of the existing Fuel Moto tunes onto the bike
6. Log three 12-15 minute rides and submit to Fuel Moto with a new tune request
7. Put the files emaileed to me from Fuel Moto on to the PV-3 then onto the bike

What mistakes have I made?

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
All, with so many PV-3 threads it's a bit confusing and I want to make sure I've got the steps outlined to get the most out of this purchase.

Heres what I've got: 2018 Springfield just added the Indian stage one performance intake and V&H turn downs. No mods to the CAT or headers. In the box PV-3 purchased from Fuel Moto 2 weeks ago.

3. Copy stock tune files from Bike to PV-3
4. Back up stock tune files from bike to PC in a safe folder
5. Load one of the existing Fuel Moto tunes onto the bike
6. Log three 12-15 minute rides and submit to Fuel Moto with a new tune request
7. Put the files emaileed to me from Fuel Moto on to the PV-3 then onto the bike

What mistakes have I made?
3. Perform "Read ECU" :)
4. ... and PV_info.txt !

So far you "have not done any mistakes"

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Did you not receive a bit of paper like I did inside the box added by Fuel Moto and a sticker on the box you have to cut through stating Fuel Moto updated to current spec by Fuel Moto?

The logging of rides is only required if the tune(s) sent to you is/are unsatisfactory and need a tweak here and there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you not receive a bit of paper like I did inside the box added by Fuel Moto and a sticker on the box you have to cut through stating Fuel Moto updated to current spec by Fuel Moto?

View attachment 591526

The logging of rides is only required if the tune(s) sent to you is/are unsatisfactory and need a tweak here and there.
I did, but my understanding is that each bike may be slightly different based on add ons and mods.
There is as also a wide gap between unacceptable and as "good as it could be". I'm sure I could recognize unacceptable but not sure I would ever know as "good as it could be" without someone like Craig looking the tune over.

With this purchase I just want to make sure I'm getting the most value out of the PV-3.

·
Rider
816 Posts
also you do not have to run the DynoJet software to receive, flash or log data . I only have a Mac. I do plan on getting a cheap PC so I can dig a little further in with the software, but it is not necessary to get started.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also you do not have to run the DynoJet software to receive, flash or log data . I only have a Mac. I do plan on getting a cheap PC so I can dig a little further in with the software, but it is not necessary to get started.
How would I know i have the latest firmware?

·
Rider
816 Posts
You can see the firmware version on the DJ unit as well. I don't have it in front of me, but its in the menu options.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I was also concerned about messing something up with the PV3. Let me assure you, it is all super easy and intuitive.

The box came with instructions and just follow them and Craig will get you a new map in short order. I decided to just go with his stock maps for a while and deal with some things I wasn't 100% happy with. I eventually contacted Craig and I ran a couple log files for him to look at. I don't know why I waited... Don't wait! After you put the new tunes on the bike, go for a ride and record a LOG file. Send them in to Craig with your thoughts and he'll make the necessary adjustments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the exact same set up as you do. Except I just did the Indian reflash for now. But I noticed with the flash for EPA my MPG took a decent hit. Would a tune with Fuel Moto help with that even after the addition of more power?

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
I have the exact same set up as you do. Except I just did the Indian reflash for now. But I noticed with the flash for EPA my MPG took a decent hit. Would a tune with Fuel Moto help with that even after the addition of more power?
Unless you get a custom tune, the Stock, Fuel Motto, CraigB, and Dynojet tunes all retain the close loop operating range of the leaner 14.7.1 AF ratio. We ride in closed loop 85% of the time. This basically means the fueling doesn't change because the ECU is using the O2 sensors to adjust the AF mixture. In open loop ( High power, high load) is for the most part leaned a bit with these aftermarket tunes. Yes you heard me right leaned. The Indian stock tunes are excessively rich in the open loop area.

Factory Tune facts:
1. Closed loop set to 14.7.1 (80 to 85% of average range power range)
2.Open Loop RPM ranges above 3000-3200 or high engine load (very rich from the factory this is why the CAT is so hot, burning all the un-burned fuel)
3. Timing advanced high in lower load and RPM ranges (contributed to clacking in earlier models)
4. Timing not advanced enough in higher power/RPM ranges. Leads to buzz/vibration

Stock, Fuel Motto, CraigB, and Dynojet tunes:
1. Closed loop set to 14.7.1 (80 to 85% of average range power range) Idle is set a tad richer
2.Open Loop RPM ranges above 3000-3200 or high engine load, fueling is reduced to a better AF for better power (cooler CAT better Mileage)
3. Timing retarded in lower load and RPM ranges ( no clacking on earlier models)
4. Timing advanced in higher power/RPM ranges. (except for Dynojet, most of their tunes don't do this)

Other tweaks:
The after market tunes also adjust the DBW (throttle mapping) tables for better throttle response
CraigB tunes lower the fuel cut threshold so the injectors come back on at a lower RPM (800 rpm) less jerking and surging when coming to a stop.

The aftermarket tunes are somewhat of a compromise because they keep the closed loop range intact. The benefit of this is for fuel economy. If the entire mapping was tuned properly for open loop the mileage would tank. And I know guys who have custom tunes (dyno shop) and run in open loop and the bikes respond really well, but the fuel ecomomy is in the high 20 MPG range.

So to answer question....LOL You shoukld see better MPG with the above tunes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too early to tell.

I just received my first tunes from Craig yesterday. Here is the process I actually used:

3. Perform read ECU on the bike.
4. Send stk file and txt file to Fuel Moto on tune request page.
5. Receive djt files from Craig
6. Flash one of the files on the Bike and test.

Based on my early results I doubt I ever log files for a custom tune.

When I moved to the Springfield all my friends asked how much stronger it was than my 1100 Shadow. I honestly thought it was more sluggish than the Honda because it was so much heavier. The bike pulls like a beast now. I'm sure its the difference in the Honda's carb and true throttle cable VS the Indian's throttle by wire/ecm.

As so many others have mentioned this should have been my first upgrade even with stock filter and pipes.

Many thanks to Dynojet, Fuel Moto, and Craig!

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Too early to tell.

I just received my first tunes from Craig yesterday. Here is the process I actually used:

3. Perform read ECU on the bike.
4. Send stk file and txt file to Fuel Moto on tune request page.
5. Receive djt files from Craig
6. Flash one of the files on the Bike and test.

Based on my early results I doubt I ever log files for a custom tune.

When I moved to the Springfield all my friends asked how much stronger it was than my 1100 Shadow. I honestly thought it was more sluggish than the Honda because it was so much heavier. The bike pulls like a beast now. I'm sure its the difference in the Honda's carb and true throttle cable VS the Indian's throttle by wire/ecm.

As so many others have mentioned this should have been my first upgrade even with stock filter and pipes.

Many thanks to Dynojet, Fuel Moto, and Craig!
On a stock engine a aftermarket tune makes more performance gains than both intake and exhaust.

In fact Intake and exhaust gains are negligible. 1-2 HP and zero torque

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
I just downloaded a CraigB tune to my '15 Vintage. By no means am I a computer wiz and was a little, well more than a little :rolleyes:, hesitant to mess with the PV3 and ECU. It was actually pretty easy to accomplish. In his email when he sent the tunes to me Craig says ride for 100 miles or so after the download, so off I go :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts