Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a new Chieftain a while back that only has 395 miles on it right now. Yes, it is going back to the dealer for this but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this same issue. For no reason when you try take off from a stop it'll shut down. When you try to start it back up in gear it does nothing. If you put it in neutral it'll start. At first she thought it was something she was doing since it's new to her but I rode it yesterday and it happened to me right after I made a turn into a parking lot. Same thing, I had to put it in neutral to start it. I know there's a recall on the gear position switch but would that cause the bike to shut off?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There is a switch in the kickstand that will turn the engine off if it is in gear with the kickstand down. It’s probably just a bad switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Chieftain Limited and every once in a while it will "turn off" in neutral when I extend the kick stand. It does not do it every time but only when the kick stand gets to the end of its travel which is when it hits the "kick stand down" switch. I will have to pay more attention to make sure it was not in gear.

Tim

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There is also a service bulletin out because of an issue with the gear position switch. That could be an issue as well. If the bike thinks it’s in gear when it’s actually in neutral the kickstand switch will turn the bike off.

Be careful because if it is the gear position switch it can also say it’s in neutral when it’s really in gear. That’s bad if the bike is on the kickstand and you hit the start button. The bike will take off on it’s own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow I just bought this bike about three weeks ago and it has four recall items on it? I did not think to ask about fixing recall items on a new bike before I drove it off the dealers lot. I guess this is the new world order of quality now........

Tim

Edit
Now that I cooled off a bit I called the dealer and they assured me the first three recalls were taken care of before I bought the bike and the last one is to replace the switch which won't be available until May 2020. I thought if a recall item was completed it would be taken off the vehicles VIN number and/or shown as completed?

·
Bronze member
3,414 Posts
it does... and you can check by making a account on Indians web site... I doubt very much that your problem is the gear sensor.. that might keep you from starting if it thinks it's in gear or it might crash your bike if your not careful starting it if it thinks it's in neutral but not... I've got a 18 limited and the same recall... never ever (knock on wood) had a problem with it... it was known by this forum long before it was recognized by Indian and many a fix instructions were made... basically when it gets dirty it needs to be clean... it is now part of the 10K service... I'd lean more towards a faulty kick-stand sensor... but you should be throwing codes and be able to diagnose from there..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does... and you can check by making a account on Indians web site... I doubt very much that your problem is the gear sensor.. that might keep you from starting if it thinks it's in gear or it might crash your bike if your not careful starting it if it thinks it's in neutral but not... I've got a 18 limited and the same recall... never ever (knock on wood) had a problem with it... it was known by this forum long before it was recognized by Indian and many a fix instructions were made... basically when it gets dirty it needs to be clean... it is now part of the 10K service... I'd lean more towards a faulty kick-stand sensor... but you should be throwing codes and be able to diagnose from there..
There were 4 recalls on her bike. The only one that has not been done is the gear position switch one. The check engine light never came on. Would it indicate faults by some other means besides the check engine light illuminating?

·
Registered
259 Posts
There were 4 recalls on her bike. The only one that has not been done is the gear position switch one. The check engine light never came on. Would it indicate faults by some other means besides the check engine light illuminating?
Sorry nutz4spd I did not mean to hijack your thread. I was just trying to say I have the same issue as you do sometimes and when I went on Indian's website to check into this recall that was mentioned I found (4) recalls that came up on my VIN number as well.

Tim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry nutz4spd I did not mean to hijack your thread. I was just trying to say I have the same issue as you do sometimes and when I went on Indian's website to check into this recall that was mentioned I found (4) recalls that came up on my VIN number as well.

Tim
You're fine Huey. :cool:

·
Registered
356 Posts
My FTR did the same on my first ride.The stalling was the lousy EPA fueling which got a PV3 and the no crank in gear clutch pulled in was a bad clutch switch.Listen carefully,bike off,and slowly pull clutch in and you will hear a lite click just before lever touches handlebar,if not switch is bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts