Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buzzing sound from faring -19 Indian Chieftain Limited

Hey all! Just got a 19 Chieftain Limited and it’s got an intermittent buzz that comes from the front, left side of the faring. When I hear it and do the following, it doesn’t stop:

Engage the clutch (coasting)
Cut the audio
Speed up/slow down
Raise or lower the windshield
Engage breaks

It sounds like electronic feedback and is audible at all speeds, but, it’s intermittent. I only have 300 miles on it, and it’s under warranty so I might take it to the dealer on Tuesday if I can’t figure it out.

Any tips or thoughts? Initially I thought maybe some bolt worked it’s way loose so I went around and gently tightened up every visible bolt I could find, but it still makes the sound. I also removed the left speaker grille and went for a ride and it was less noticeable but also still present.

·
Rider
691 Posts
Are you certain its not coming from the lid on the top glove box?
Thats where a lot of them vibrate there.
Mine does.
Press down on it next time and see if it stops

·
Registered
113 Posts
My Chieftain had the same buzz and it was coming from inside the top dash box. I had to open the lid and press down on the back side to get the buzz to stop. I never solved the problem before the bike was totaled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gave that a try! No dice!
Not sure if the 2019 fairing and speaker grills are the same or even similar, but on my 2014 I had to take the plastic speaker covers off and wrap electrical tape on the tabs that insert into the fairing. It made a lot of the buzzing go away. After a couple years of chasing buzzes and vibrations in my fairing, I finally disassembled it and tightened everything up and put it back together. I was amazed at the amount of loose screws, nuts and bolts that I found. I was able to cure about 98% of the nuisance noise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the same problem and found a wire with a label on it was buzzing. I zip tied it and the noise went away. It was on the LHS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took it in to the Indian dealer and paid a diagnostic fee and unfortunately they couldn’t figure it out either. I was told to ride it and see if it goes away, if it doesn’t, they would open up a Polaris ticket and have engineers look at it. I was kinda bummed but the guys at the dealership were awesome.

I just rolled over 500 miles so I’m gonna do an oil change tomorrow on it and see if I can find anything that needs to be zip tied up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if the 2019 fairing and speaker grills are the same or even similar, but on my 2014 I had to take the plastic speaker covers off and wrap electrical tape on the tabs that insert into the fairing. It made a lot of the buzzing go away. After a couple years of chasing buzzes and vibrations in my fairing, I finally disassembled it and tightened everything up and put it back together. I was amazed at the amount of loose screws, nuts and bolts that I found. I was able to cure about 98% of the nuisance noise.
Yes, sounds very similar. There are tabs that the bolts screw into. I’ll try that tomorrow!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Buzzing sound from faring -19 Indian Chieftain Limited

Hey all! Just got a 19 Chieftain Limited and it’s got an intermittent buzz that comes from the front, left side of the faring. When I hear it and do the following, it doesn’t stop:

Engage the clutch (coasting)
Cut the audio
Speed up/slow down
Raise or lower the windshield
Engage breaks

It sounds like electronic feedback and is audible at all speeds, but, it’s intermittent. I only have 300 miles on it, and it’s under warranty so I might take it to the dealer on Tuesday if I can’t figure it out.

Any tips or thoughts? Initially I thought maybe some bolt worked it’s way loose so I went around and gently tightened up every visible bolt I could find, but it still makes the sound. I also removed the left speaker grille and went for a ride and it was less noticeable but also still present.
Try to push on the speaker cover, Mi e vibrated, and it took me awhile to figure out what it was. I took the cover off and put a small strip of non-stick foam and put the cover back on- vibration and buzz gone. Might not be your problem, but give it a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts