Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike out (2018 Roadmaster) a few days ago for it VERY FIRST RIDE EVER (odometer showed 1 mile). Noticed as soon as it fired up, I put it in gear and it started to "walk forward" with the clutch fully engaged. I applied the brakes, held it for about 2 mins engaged, went up the driveway and stopped with clutch engaged. 10 seconds later with the clutch engaged it was fine. THEN I tried to find neutral.....FORGET IT. Up and down from 1st to 2nd with no give. No worries time to go for a little ride. After about 10 miles of clutch and gears now neutral was easy as pie to find. One phenomenon happened though as I headed home from my 1st small outing, I left from stop signs at gentle acceleration as I am breaking in the engine as per Indian guidelines, as I accelerate gently up around 2000 rpms all of a sudden she falls flat back down to 1000 rpm, I give her more throttle and she wakes up. Ambient temps were in the low 40s. Next stop, same thing. Almost like there was/is a restriction in the fuel. Kept going for about another 5 miles and seems to have been smoother on acceleration with no cut out. Anyone else experience this with the first few miles. Odometer only reads 15 miles. All kinds of odors as the engine came to temp. New bike smell, lol. All I could do on Friday, then all weekend we had freezing rain and snow. Winter is still here. 2 more weeks until regular daily rides are here. Thanks group.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question being, should I be worried about these power loss on acceleration or is it just all the computers processing the new inputs (throttle sensor, temp sensors...etc)

·
Rider
979 Posts
Some of what you experienced I did as well on my 19 SF. Especially the shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold and from what I have read that is normal. Just let it warm up more during colder weather.

As far as the bike walking forward with the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in(clutch disengaged), it should not do that. The clutch free play on these bikes is very small, so if you have more than 1.5mm then it is too much. The spec is .5-1.5mm. If it is more than that, then you should probably take it back to the dealer to adjust properly or just do it yourself. Dealers don't always set them up right or fail to do all the checks they should.

Some of what you are experiencing with the rpm is probably just the ECM/VCM learning and should smooth out soon for you. If it doesn't then you may have to have the dealer hook it up and check the system. Mine brand new with 4 miles on it had an oxygen sensor that was bad and the dealer fixed it on the spot before I took delivery.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

·
Rider
816 Posts
If the odometer showed 1 mile, I suggest calling the dealer you bought it from, telling them to come pick it up and do a “proper” setup and shakedown test ride. Bike should have a minimum of six miles on it before it leaves the service dept after initial assembly.

Reactions: phatroadmaster

·
Rider
979 Posts
Get out and ride it and do not Baby it too much. Sounds like it needs a good warm up by riding it. With only one mile showing, did the dealer do the proper initial check ride????
That was another thing I was going to mention. Usually they have between 3-5 miles on them because they have been test ridden by the dealer and also dynoed before they leave Polaris. The test ride is actually on the setup checklist that the dealer has to fill out and you should have a copy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get out and ride it and do not Baby it too much. Sounds like it needs a good warm up by riding it. With only one mile showing, did the dealer do the proper initial check ride????
Garanteed no. The bike wouldn't start when they delivered it, the chassis ground wire was loose. I hounded Indian for a new battery and got one, did it myself, dealership is over 1hr from my house. I want to follow Indian guidelines, says nothing over 1/3 throttle for 100 miles. I want to follow EVERYTHING to the letter, this is my dream bike. Never had it over 2500 rpm and don't intend to until that 100 miles where they say up to 1/2 throttle where my max RPM will be 3250 rpm until 500 miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the odometer showed 1 mile, I suggest calling the dealer you bought it from, telling them to come pick it up and do a “proper” setup and shakedown test ride. Bike should have a minimum of six miles on it before it leaves the service dept after initial assembly.
Dealer is over 1 hour away and delivered the bike with a dead battery. I will be doing EVERYTHING myself that I can. Went to a different dealer and bought the 500 mile oil package and they gave me the checklist to perform on the first 4 services. The basic oil change and inspection changes at 500 miles is $200. The 5000 mile where they flush the brake fluids is $500 and the 10000 mile where they change the fork oil was quoted $650. I am a poor man riding a rich man's bike, lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was another thing I was going to mention. Usually they have between 3-5 miles on them because they have been test ridden by the dealer and also dynoed before they leave Polaris. The test ride is actually on the setup checklist that the dealer has to fill out and you should have a copy.
Never got a checklist. Lost confidence in the dealer when it was delivered with a dead battery and I found the chassis ground VERY loose. I bitched to Indian and they provided me with a brand new battery. My dealer is over 1.5 hrs from my house. Another dealer is 45 mins from my house, but they didn't want my Harley on exchange so I went to another dealer. I will be doing all servicing myself. Above average mechanical knowledge with a plethora of tools. Also a certified Master Briggs technician, Certified Cub Dadet commercial master tech and a Kohler engine certified tech. Not exactly the same machines, but basic understandings are damn close.

·
Bronze member
4,118 Posts
Took my bike out (2018 Roadmaster) a few days ago for it VERY FIRST RIDE EVER (odometer showed 1 mile). Noticed as soon as it fired up, I put it in gear and it started to "walk forward" with the clutch fully engaged. I applied the brakes, held it for about 2 mins engaged, went up the driveway and stopped with clutch engaged. 10 seconds later with the clutch engaged it was fine. THEN I tried to find neutral.....FORGET IT. Up and down from 1st to 2nd with no give. No worries time to go for a little ride. After about 10 miles of clutch and gears now neutral was easy as pie to find. One phenomenon happened though as I headed home from my 1st small outing, I left from stop signs at gentle acceleration as I am breaking in the engine as per Indian guidelines, as I accelerate gently up around 2000 rpms all of a sudden she falls flat back down to 1000 rpm, I give her more throttle and she wakes up. Ambient temps were in the low 40s. Next stop, same thing. Almost like there was/is a restriction in the fuel. Kept going for about another 5 miles and seems to have been smoother on acceleration with no cut out. Anyone else experience this with the first few miles. Odometer only reads 15 miles. All kinds of odors as the engine came to temp. New bike smell, lol. All I could do on Friday, then all weekend we had freezing rain and snow. Winter is still here. 2 more weeks until regular daily rides are here. Thanks group.

During cold temps it is normal for the bike to want to walk forward in gear with the clutch pulled due to the oil drag on the clutch plates. Once the oil warms up the problem goes away like you experienced If it did this with a warm engine then yes the clutch would need adjustment but from what you said you are fine. The way a transmission shifts is affected buy the oil temp viscosity etc. basically from what you said, once the bike warmed up, all was okay.

The throttle is electronic, so for the rpm just to drop without any movement could mean an interruption in the drive by wire signal.

As for break in. Ride the bike normally. Don't baby it. You have to ride pretty aggressively to violate the break in rules.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Never got a checklist. Lost confidence in the dealer when it was delivered with a dead battery and I found the chassis ground VERY loose. I bitched to Indian and they provided me with a brand new battery. My dealer is over 1.5 hrs from my house. Another dealer is 45 mins from my house, but they didn't want my Harley on exchange so I went to another dealer. I will be doing all servicing myself. Above average mechanical knowledge with a plethora of tools. Also a certified Master Briggs technician, Certified Cub Dadet commercial master tech and a Kohler engine certified tech. Not exactly the same machines, but basic understandings are damn close.
All those "dealer services" are rip off.

Your dealer, obviously, is not a good one. Sad. Nothing you can do.

If you hunt around, you can find a free download of the service manual. Definitely get it.

You can do all the "services" yourself and you will know it was done right .

I got my bike back from the Indian dealer with the belt horribly misaligned and squealing, missing one exhaust bolt that holds the crossover to the frame, and loose screws rattling around under the seat.

I do all my own work. I know for certain that everything is perfect.

I just pulled the entire swingarm off and removed the lowering kit that was on it. I enjoyed getting in there and getting to know how it all worked.

It's a decent bike....and... Btw -- don't freak out about the break in procedure.
There are many real experts that disagree with the factory prescribed method, and even videos showing motors broken down for inspection.

Just ride it. It's not going to last that long anyway.
By the time you get 10,000 miles on it, It's worth 1/2 what you paid.

Fenders rust, stuff happens.... enjoy it. If it gets scratched, get another bike.

I switch every other year.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
When my Springfield is cold, and I mean 40 degrees or less, even with the clutch lever pulled in, you can not push the bike. As mentioned above, you will have this experience go away after the bike warms up, so I always put mine in neutral when I want to move it without the engine running.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All those "dealer services" are rip off.

Your dealer, obviously, is not a good one. Sad. Nothing you can do.

If you hunt around, you can find a free download of the service manual. Definitely get it.

You can do all the "services" yourself and you will know it was done right .

I got my bike back from the Indian dealer with the belt horribly misaligned and squealing, missing one exhaust bolt that holds the crossover to the frame, and loose screws rattling around under the seat.

I do all my own work. I know for certain that everything is perfect.

I just pulled the entire swingarm off and removed the lowering kit that was on it. I enjoyed getting in there and getting to know how it all worked.

It's a decent bike....and... Btw -- don't freak out about the break in procedure.
There are many real experts that disagree with the factory prescribed method, and even videos showing motors broken down for inspection.

Just ride it. It's not going to last that long anyway.
By the time you get 10,000 miles on it, It's worth 1/2 what you paid.

Fenders rust, stuff happens.... enjoy it. If it gets scratched, get another bike.

I switch every other year.
I got the 7 year "bumper to bumper" warranty with it. Looked at resale and they seem to hold value VERY well. All that said, I broke in my last Harley the exact same way. Tedious because you can't let it rip for a bit, but I will get to 500 miles easily in one weekend once the nice weather comes. I have the service manual and am not affraid to tear into it. As my dad always told me, "If one idiot can do it, so can you" <-- best advice ever and my life mantra.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,095 Posts
Sounds as though your clutch plates are sticking together until the oil warms up a bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds as though your clutch plates are sticking together until the oil warms up a bit.
My thoughts or that the bike was never run and it took some time (very little initial) for the clutch discs to wear in some. ON TOWARDS A GREAT SEASON

·
Bronze member
1,554 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer uncrated the bike, put the necessary parts on and then delivered it without starting it up. Not a good move on their part.

As for your break-in, I understand that you want to baby your new purchase, we all do. However, if you saw the way that first mile gets put on the engine in the factory dyno, you probably wouldn't worry as much. After breaking in three of the TS111, and about half a dozen Vics, I can tell you that you should be aware of the RPM's and always keep them varied; never go above the redline (5200), and ride it like you will after the 500 mile mark. With over 150K miles on PII bikes, I have never had an issue with any of them that was related to the break-in.

Reactions: phatroadmaster

·
Registered
863 Posts
I got the 7 year "bumper to bumper" warranty with it. Looked at resale and they seem to hold value VERY well. All that said, I broke in my last Harley the exact same way. Tedious because you can't let it rip for a bit, but I will get to 500 miles easily in one weekend once the nice weather comes. I have the service manual and am not affraid to tear into it. As my dad always told me, "If one idiot can do it, so can you" <-- best advice ever and my life mantra.
I think you need to go and look at that 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. Bet you have 3 years beyond factory 2 year for a total of 5 years. And it isn’t bumper to bumper.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts