Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the forum.

Has anyone upgraded the front calliper on their scout? I can't remember if it has braided lines from new?

I took one for the a test ride Saturday and really interested but coming from a much higher spec bike I felt the bike needs some more bite on the front.

Yes yes I know it's not a sports bike, I don't have an all out sport bike at the moment either. But brakes are always a good thing to have!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found that by replacing my front springs with Race Tech springs and emulators the stopping is greatly improved as well as the handling or at least my perception of it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
@Mharris, Galfer should have their Wave Rotors available for the Indian Scout sometime around February 1st. Galfer also makes a few different brake pads, including sintered pads, for use on their Wave Rotors.

They also make custom brake lines; I ordered one for my bike but accidentally deducted 2 inches twice and ordered a front brake line that was 2 inches too short. My mistake. It's a nice looking brake line; it looks better, with better fittings than the stock brake line, fully braided line, in your choice of colors. I got black fittings on a black line. It's definitely beefier (thicker sidewall) than the stock brake line. I couldn't install mine yet (too short, my fault), so I can't testify to their utility.

Like @SM_Scout said, stiffer fork springs will help, too. The Scout fork springs are a bit on the weak side, and allows for a pretty noticeable nosedive while braking.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the front calliper on their scout? I can't remember if it has braided lines from new?
Stock Scout lines are steel braided with black vinyl coating.

Reactions: Wtorres141

·
Registered
406 Posts
Stock Scout lines are steel braided with black vinyl coating.
My 2016 came with the clear vinyl SS brake line, so I have one black cable (clutch) and one silver one (brake)...I'm following @TheDude and ordering the custom black/black Galfer once my new handlebars arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
My 2016 came with the clear vinyl SS brake line, so I have one black cable (clutch) and one silver one (brake)...I'm following @TheDude and ordering the custom black/black Galfer once my new handlebars arrive.

My 2015 Scout has two (2) clear vinyl SS brake lines and they are staying that way! I think you may need to very carefully go back to the dealer and have the other one installed!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Wtorres141

·
Registered
406 Posts
My 2015 Scout has two (2) clear vinyl SS brake lines and they are staying that way! I think you may need to very carefully go back to the dealer and have the other one installed!!:rolleyes:
Yep both 'brake' lines are confirmed vinyl clear SS. It's the Clutch line that is black vinyl. but not for too much longer I'm going to swap out the front brake like for a black SS one veeerrry soon.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i totally agree with the marginal brakes + less fork dive will help some but when i test rode a scout the poor tyres slipped + squeaked while applying the brake firmly, pretty poor IMO. i would look into if the 4 piston caliper units from the big indians fit, i believe i seen where the rotors were the same size. the Victory version of the scout may have better calipers that fit, as similar fitments lower production costs

·
Registered
582 Posts
The discs from the Chiefs are -not- the same, not even close. The Chief rotors have a larger diameter, are offset 5mm, and have a 6-bolt pattern. Very different. I think replacing the rotors with Galfers, when they're released, and replacing the tires with something sticky, like Pirelli Night Dragons, will help things tremendously. We're still waiting for Galfer to finish up their design and testing. Oh, and don't forget improved brake pads (something sintered/metallic would help in wet environments).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
on other bikes i upgraded the rotors with minimal results, but using an iron rotor could help a lot if you can deal with oxidation + a lot of that depends on where you live. for now the scout brake upgrades are very limited let alone a high friction iron disc. a 6 piston caliper would be the ticket, lots more grab without the $$$$ of adding a second disc. i used a hawg halter that worked well with HH pads. its good that using the big ***** was checked out, hate to pass an easy upgrade. that leaves the water cooled Octane as a possibility, hopeful swap for scout owners. time will tell for sure!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
The new Victory Combustion was shown with Brembo calipers so there may be hope soon

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
that would be nice, but seeing how Victory ceased their use on earlier Vic's i would not hold my breath. many other brands work well for less $$$. generally any 4 piston unit will be better + bigger pistons as well give better braking, time will tell, kinda like waiting for Santa!!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
that would be nice, but seeing how Victory ceased their use on earlier Vic's i would not hold my breath. many other brands work well for less $$$. generally any 4 piston unit will be better + bigger pistons as well give better braking, time will tell, kinda like waiting for Santa!!!
You're right,other brands are good.Just waiting on one where the bolt holes line up and Ill buy it. Brembo did supply for the KM bikes. Willwood is another good brand I like too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The best upgrade for brakes love done in the past on several bikes is to change the Master Cylinder to a suitable Brembo one that shifts more fluid and therefore increases brake pressure and sensitivity. Depends what you want but I love instant sharp brakes...
Looking at the same for my new Roadmaster....

·
Registered
955 Posts
for a cruiser I switch to using mainly rear brake, then use both for harder braking.

... should add I ride solo on my Scout, guess the brakes may be wanting if I had a pillion, don't know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been using the back brake more as suggested... it's much improved as well as more stable when the anchors are used seriously....
Many thanks .... but still thinking about a Brembo master cyl

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I'm going to try that.... but coming from sports bikes it's against all I know.
How long do your rear pads last?
It should go against all you know. 70% of braking power comes from your front brake. You should use BOTH your brakes, especially in a panic stop. Choosing to ignore better than 1/2 your stopping power will end up with you justifying why you "had to lay your bike down to avoid a crash."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts