Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of upgrades on my 2018 Scout while I'm not riding it. The clock mounted usb was an easy install as the wiring is already present from the battery to the headlight. The very tasty looking Harrison Billet 6 caliper I have wanted since seeing one on a bike last year. I really like the new brake. Enough of an improvement to warrant the cost but not scary at the same time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is really interesting. I would like to improve the braking on my scout but until you mentioned this product I could only find a Brembo caliper and disc upgrade. I just looked at the website and I'd like to know what fittings you ordered and the price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The caliper comes with bolts and a bracket for the abs sensor. All you need is a couple of washers for the brake line and fluid. The brakes are linked so still has plenty of feel. Bedding it in but still is notably better than the standard brake plus much cooler! Measuring the improvement is difficult but I was told its a 20% improvement and I have no reason to doubt that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is it made specifically for the scout or is it a generic product? I can't see the Indian listed in the website.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Specific as you don't need any mounting brackets. Contact Harrison Billet, their details are on their website. I know a guy with the brembo who likes it a lot but I preferred the look of the billet 6 pot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for taking the time...the Brembo replacement is a two pot, I think...I would just like to improve the front brake - sometimes the oem just seems right at the performance limit for the weight of the bike. I notice the new models have floating discs and "better" calipers..responding to feedback possibly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My issue was two up when a van emergency stopped in front of me and I had to turn while braking otherwise I would have hit them. Plus this is soo bling :cool:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try replacing the pads with better ones- far cheaper.

I replaced the OEM pads with scintered ones and they’re far better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Already done that. EBC. I agree, they are better but it doesn't excuse a bike of this weight using such low spec brakes. Look at the Triumph range for comparison. The Bonneville range, for example, has a dual disc setup.
I haven't heard any reports about the newer 2020 scouts with their improoved brakes.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I pulled the trigger and purchased the Freespiritsparts Brembo caliper and rotor. My Indian Dealer did the work (even though I have changed calipers and bled brakes before on other bikes) as I didn't have the tools to take the front wheel off. As it turned out there were some reported issues with the size of the rotor fitting nicely into the caliper but that was quickly sorted. In regards to performance...all I can say is that I use one finger to brake now and have had to adjust my braking distance because it stops on a dime. I am really happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pulled the trigger and purchased the Freespiritsparts Brembo caliper and rotor. My Indian Dealer did the work (even though I have changed calipers and bled brakes before on other bikes) as I didn't have the tools to take the front wheel off. As it turned out there were some reported issues with the size of the rotor fitting nicely into the caliper but that was quickly sorted. In regards to performance...all I can say is that I use one finger to brake now and have had to adjust my braking distance because it stops on a dime. I am really happy with it.
Hi Maxman, I'm super interested by this nice Brembo Kit for my 2019 Indian Scout Bobber. Can't wait to get mine!
What did you mean by "some reported issues with the size of the rotor fitting nicely into the caliper"? What was the problem and how did you fix it?
Many thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts