Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Lyndall brake rotors? I see they are big with the FTR crowd. I'm putting Galfer rotors and pads on my Triumph ThruxtonR. Recently ran across these and see they are in large demand via the H-D community. Lyndall says they are in pre-production for the bagger/cruiser sized Indians. Wondering about their floating rotor ring retention technology vs the traditional rivet style?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
I haven't tried their rotors, but I have always had great longevity out of their gold racing pads...

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
I don’t expect better braking performance with the Lyndalls tbh, less contact area. Galfer and Brembo know what they’re doing.

They do look awesome though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , they do look RAD. I especially like the different colorways options and rotor hub designs. The fact that they are American made by a famikybowned business is also appealing

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
I had Lyndall rotors on my Street Glide, composite, very light. I've always put Lyndall pads on my rides. Usually Z+ Red. I had heard the Gold were harder and also needed some warm up time. The Red are fine ,last a long time, quiet and are clean.

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
Warm up time for what?
Heavy metallic pads (Gold) require some time to warm up before full stopping power. That's what I've always heard. I've seen this discussed over the last 20 years. Plus, as expected, tougher on the rotors. When I got the composite rotors, there are special pads. I was talking to Lyndall owner during that process. He sold me some leftover rotors that were wrong color, but can't see them on bagger. They were about 500 at the time, retail.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
That’s odd, So if you haven’t used your brakes for a few minutes, they perform less?

I would never want that on a street bike...

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
That’s odd, So if you haven’t used your brakes for a few minutes, they perform less?

I would never want that on a street bike...
How Brake Pads Work
BY JAMIE PAGE DEATON

Metallic Brake Pads
PREV NEXT
Metallic brake pads are perhaps the most common brake pads found on cars today. The brake pad on the left is new; the pad on the right is used.

Metallic brake pads are perhaps the most common brake pads found on cars today. The brake pad on the left is new; the pad on the right is used.
DAVE WHITE/ISTOCKPHOTO
Most vehicles on the road today have metallic brake pads. In case you're wondering, these brake pads aren't just slabs of metal. They're typically made of iron, copper, steel and graphite all mixed and together and bonded to form the pad material.
The reason that these pads are so common is simple -- metallic brake pads are cost-effective and durable. They provide good performance and are good at transferring the heat generated by friction with the brake rotors. The downside of metallic brake pads is that they're heavy, which can have a (small) negative impact on the car's fuel economy. Also, because of the extra weight, metallic brake pads aren't the best choice for high-performance driving. Being made of metal makes the pads very hard. That's what makes them durable. But because there isn't as much "give" in metallic brake pads, they can cause more wear on the brake rotors than other types of brake pads. The metallic brake pads themselves hold up well, but they often negatively impact the durability of other brake parts. Finally, metallic brake pads work best when they're warm. When a vehicle with metallic brake pads first gets going on a very cold day, stops may take slightly longer than usual until the brake pads heat up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On my Rm, I replaced the stock rotors after they warped around 8k miles with Galfer rotors and EBC HH pads, cheaper, much better braking and I think less dust.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my Rm, I replaced the stock rotors after they warped around 8k miles with Galfer rotors and EBC HH pads, cheaper, much better braking and I think less dust.
I'm more inclined to go with Galfer rotors merely due to their use of proven technologies and reputation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts