Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding at a spirited pace my bike's front brake tends to ring, not unlike a wine glass when you rub your finger around the rim. I've been on a lot of bikes, this is the first one that has ever done this.

I know i haven't cooked the brakes and I cannot figure out what this might be. Brakes work fine just makes a strange sound. Dealer said I could probably eliminate this by getting a free floating rotor.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
That's got to be annoying. I haven't heard it on mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
When riding at a spirited pace my bike's front brake tends to ring, not unlike a wine glass when you rub your finger around the rim. I've been on a lot of bikes, this is the first one that has ever done this.

I know i haven't cooked the brakes and I cannot figure out what this might be. Brakes work fine just makes a strange sound. Dealer said I could probably eliminate this by getting a free floating rotor.

Not on a bike but I had that very same issue on my right front wheel on my Ford Escape. May not be germane to the bike. Never did find out the source, but it eventually went away (or I'm getting deaf).

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
You didn't mention whether the brakes 'ring' going down the road or just when you hit the brakes.
I will assume just when you apply the brakes! :)
Was the problem from the get go when you left the dealer or later on down the road in mileage?

You might check to make sure you haven't picked up a small stone in the pad lining and causes a resonance.

If it is stone free, somehow, you probably did get it a little hot and glazed the pads.

This would be fairly easy to do if the setup crew didn't properly wipe down the rotors when the bike was being prepare!
The dealer may have glazed the rotors on the test drive trying to burn in the brakes in the test drive?????

You might check the rotors for color changing to indicate some glazing problems caused by heat, maybe even a sticky caliper piston, and while your laying down there look for some grooves or scratches that might indicating stone damage!

My fist thought is the stone, this happens much more than most think!
Regardless, your dealer should step up and take care of this before further damage occurs.

Strongly insist on them doing something about it.

Just putting new brake pads on could solve your problem.

The dealer is trying to put the monkey on your back by suggesting that you should put on a floating rotor is indicating to me that something is wrong with the OEM rotor or the pads!

Since there are a bunch out there with zero brake squeal problems and your the only one.... it is highly unlikely it is not the stock rotor itself causing the problem.

Get it looked into soon, because it could eventually accelerate and become a major safety problem with the brakes..... :eek::eek::eek::mad:!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't mention whether the brakes 'ring' going down the road or just when you hit the brakes.
I will assume just when you apply the brakes! :)
Was the problem from the get go when you left the dealer or later on down the road in mileage?

You might check to make sure you haven't picked up a small stone in the pad lining and causes a resonance.

If it is stone free, somehow, you probably did get it a little hot and glazed the pads.

This would be fairly easy to do if the setup crew didn't properly wipe down the rotors when the bike was being prepare!
The dealer may have glazed the rotors on the test drive trying to burn in the brakes in the test drive?????

You might check the rotors for color changing to indicate some glazing problems caused by heat, maybe even a sticky caliper piston, and while your laying down there look for some grooves or scratches that might indicating stone damage!

My fist thought is the stone, this happens much more than most think!
Regardless, your dealer should step up and take care of this before further damage occurs.

Strongly insist on them doing something about it.

Just putting new brake pads on could solve your problem.

The dealer is trying to put the monkey on your back by suggesting that you should put on a floating rotor is indicating to me that something is wrong with the OEM rotor or the pads!

Since there are a bunch out there with zero brake squeal problems and your the only one.... it is highly unlikely it is not the stock rotor itself causing the problem.

Get it looked into soon, because it could eventually accelerate and become a major safety problem with the brakes..... :eek::eek::eek::mad:!
Yep just when i brake hard. It doesn't happen when just riding. I have looked at the brakes, no unusual marks or wear. I have my first service this Sat, I will have them look at it then.

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Mine does this too. This is not a brake failure, and it will not impead you braking to any extent to be alarmed. It is an annoying issue though. Your dealer should address this as a warrantee issue.
You will, however, most likely get the usual run around from the dealership mechanics/service manager ( nothing is wrong, I don't hear it, they just need to be cleaned, etc).
It can be fixed by a possibility of a few things.
A pad replacement, and/or
rotor replacement, and/or
scuffing the pads, and/or
scuffing the rotors, and/or
taking the rotor off and banging it on your techs head so they can hear the ringing too.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have the same issue. Have only put 240 miles on my scout. Got it after waiting 7months.
I do have 1.5 miles of gravel road from my home to the paved road. Trying to decide what to do. Try washing off and seeing if it is dust. If not, may talk to the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree it's annoying especially when the bike is new. Hopefully the last one won't be necessary.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Only in heavy rain. Drizzle or wet doesn't do it. Heavy rain does.

Got rarer as brakes bedded in. But did not go away.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3500 miles, it only does it when I'm braking hard. Seems to have gone away except with hardest braking.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
3500 miles, it only does it when I'm braking hard. Seems to have gone away except with hardest braking.
Pretty Much the same here .. Only Hear it if truly have to Brake Hard to stop which seldom occurs with me ..

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
I had a low version of that at all times. Went away after a while. Did have some bell ringing sound when braking in the rain. Haven't ridden in the rain for a while, so not sure if it's still there.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Mine has had a squeal since day one when coming to a stop. I am going to try and swap the two rotors from side to side to see if that will stop it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts