Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2019 Scout Bobber with ABS brakes. Bought it last August. I'm having trouble with the front brakes and wanted to see if anyone else was. Last fall, I experienced a flat brake lever when I went to pull on the brakes for the front. I bled the brakes and they were fine again. I had a full lever.

Today, it was nice enough to ride again in Tennessee, so I got the Bobber out. It's been a few weeks since I last rode it. I went to back it out of the garage and hit the front brake lever and it collapsed all the way. After pumping a few times, I got back to about a half lever. I'll try bleeding them again, but I don't understand why the bike is losing brakes on the front. The rear has been fine and has a full pedal. Anyone else experiencing this?

Darrell

·
Rider
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the duplicate posts. The forum kept saying it didn't go through.

·
Rider
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bled them again and topped the master cylinder back off. They're back where they should be. I'll definitely take it back to the dealer and let them see if there is a problem.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You just have air near the top.

Make sure the bottom bleeder valve is closed tight. Take off the resevoir cap. Pump the brake handle while you shake the bike. When the handle is tight again, top off and put the cap back on.

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
You just have air near the top.

Make sure the bottom bleeder valve is closed tight. Take off the resevoir cap. Pump the brake handle while you shake the bike. When the handle is tight again, top off and put the cap back on.
Shake the bike?

·
Rider
944 Posts
Are you getting air when you bleed them? It would spirt when the air comes out or there will be bubbles in the fluid. I always put a plastic hose on the bleeder fitting (not knowing what your fitting looks like) and put that into a glass jar that way I can inspect it as it's bleeding.

If the brakes do that again look at your brake pads to see if they have pulled away from the rotor. If they have then the o-ring in the caliper could be twisted. Probably not this but is something to eliminate. Always use two people to bleed brakes one tiny slip of the hand will allow air back into the system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This literally just happened to me this morning on the way to work, first ride of the season. The front brake felt decent when I left and when I got off of the freeway I had no front brakes. The master cylinder is full so I can only assume that it’s air in the line. I just got off the phone with the dealer and who knows when they’ll have a tech available to fix it. Meanwhile I’m at work with a bike that only has rear brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spoke with the tech who is currently the only tech working for both of the Indian dealerships in my area. What he told me was that, supposedly, the Scouts don’t like being left on their sidestands for a few months and that causes air to get stuck in the brake lines. He told me to take the cap off of the master cylinder and pump the brake lever until the air bubbles work their way out, which I had already tried.

I proceeded to periodically remove the cap and pump the hell out of the front brake lever and some bubbles did come out. It’s to the point now that the front brake actually engages, which is good, but it’s not 100%. He told me that I could bring it in and have it bled, which Polaris would supposedly pay for, but they’re only taking appointments 2 days a week. Planning that far in advance this time of year, in this neck of the woods, looked like I’d have to take it in in the middle of a snowstorm or a torrential downpour, which I’m not the biggest fan of.

What concerned me most is that nobody was concerned about my safety, and nobody mentioned that the bike potentially has a recall on it for this exact thing. Also, if the recall was already done, which it very well could have been, I suspect that is how the air got into the brakes in the first place. Indian sends me incessant emails touting their mobile service as well as pickup and delivery, but nobody offered it to me. Thank the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster that I didn’t hit anyone or hurt myself getting off of the freeway and finding out I had no front brakes, and thankfully I didn’t have to make any emergency stops.

·
Rider
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t think that tech knows what he’s talking about. My bike stays upright on the lift in a wheel chock and I had the problem with the front brakes. I think it happens when the bike sits for a long period of time. However, I can’t understand why if nothing is happening to allow air in the system. Both times, mine happened after the bike sat for a long period of time. Both times, I bled the front brakes and topped off the reservoir and had full brake lever again. I have not taken mine in to the dealer yet for a recall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts