Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the hunt for good pads for the bike. I think I might have overheated the rears with dragging during tuning of the engine at low speeds and now they have a groan to them. I have tried sanding the glaze off and they get better but the groan comes back.

So, here are the options as I see it.
1. Indian pads 2203679 $69.99
2. Factory Spec Semi metalic severe duty FS486 $12.76
3. EBC Organic FA196 $30.57
4. EBC Semi Sintered metal brake pads FA196V $33.20
5. EBC Double-H Sintered metal brake pads FA196HH $37.00
6. EBC Extreme Performance Sintered Brake Pads FPFA196HH $71.99

Anyone have experience with aftermarket brake pads?

·
148 Posts
I tried the Double H but couldn't stop the squeaking , even used the paste on the back side that is made to stop the squeak. So I paid the price for the Indian originals and very happy now , no Squeaking.

·
Bronze member
1,952 Posts
I installed the EBC HH at about 18,000 miles. I now have about 10,000 miles on them and no squeaks ever. The OEM pads squeaked at about 9,000 miles and I tried everything to quiet them down. The HH pads delivered a noticeable increase in grip.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
After 33,000 plus miles of service,I'm still on my original pads,front AND rear.The rears still look like new,however, the fronts are getting down there,but still have some mileage left on em cause I can still see the wear grooves cut into the contact edges of the linings,meaning,they're still good.But then again,I am NOT hard on brakes. I use my gears to slow me down,that is,unless I have to make a panic stop,which I'm happy to say I haven't had to do "YET" because I drive this machine pretty sanely,not to mention,it would cost an unholy fortune to replace ANY PARTS on it if I fell down and went BOOM!!! ! :eek: :cry: But I also have a set of those FA196 pads in stock for when those front pads do finally wear out.
And BTW??? Did ya happen to notice the difference in the lining thickness on those aftermarket pads compared to the lining thickness on the original factory pads??? "WOW" is all I can say cause I've never seen pads ,especially factory pads,on any bike,with that thickness of lining on em!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just put on double h absolutely hate them made a horrible noise up front and no feel on rear pads did all the usual pre install prep and had to remove and sand more to even get bearable next time i will try lyndall sooner than later

·
Registered
983 Posts
EBC double H front and rear. No squeaks -stop well. While you're down there be sure to clean the ABS.

·
Bronze member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only reason I am getting into the backs is because of the groan. Fronts are fine. I ran a sintered clutch in the GTO once. Really grabby.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've used EBC in the past on my Harley and wasn't overly impressed. I really liked HAWK performance pads I have used in the past for my old SG. I have no idea if they have anything for the Indian MC or not.

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
I am on the hunt for good pads for the bike. I think I might have overheated the rears with dragging during tuning of the engine at low speeds and now they have a groan to them. I have tried sanding the glaze off and they get better but the groan comes back.

So, here are the options as I see it.
1. Indian pads 2203679 $69.99
2. Factory Spec Semi metalic severe duty FS486 $12.76
3. EBC Organic FA196 $30.57
4. EBC Semi Sintered metal brake pads FA196V $33.20
5. EBC Double-H Sintered metal brake pads FA196HH $37.00
6. EBC Extreme Performance Sintered Brake Pads FPFA196HH $71.99

Anyone have experience with aftermarket brake pads?
I put the EBC FA196V Semi Sintered on my rear RM
For reference, on the front I went with Front: FA347HH Double-H Sintered Metal pads

I have no issue with braking, squealing or noise.

·
Bronze member
1,510 Posts
I have the EBC extreme on my RM. Had warped rotors at about 10K and replaced them with EBC rotors and new pads. No noises at all and they work well. 20K later, still look good..

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
I just now finished cleaning and lubing my front and rear brake pads where they ride in the calipers so they don't bind or hang up when applying and releasing the handlebar and foot brakes.Unfortunately though,it's frigin rainin "AGAIN" so I can't road test it right now.Actually I could,but I'll get it all dirty,and I'll have to wash it AGAIN!!! DUH!!! ! lol lol

·
Silver member
4,852 Posts
I've put EBC HH sintered on my last few Harleys and no complaints. Vintage will get the same when the time comes.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
After changing numerous sets of brake pads over the years, since their introduction into the automotive world,I have discovered that the Kevlar pads worked the best.HOWEVER, they are expensive and also make a BIG MESS on your wheel and everything around it from all the dust they create.The sintered pads also work well, but are hard on the rotors and eat em up premuturely.So I try to stay with the organic pads,when ever possible,cause even though ,in the past,they were not as good as the other two, they did NOT make a big mess,nor did they eat up the rotors.However,the newer orgainc pads have also come along ways too and IMO,work just as well as the other two,only without the mess and frequent rotor replacement!! Anyways, that's what I try to stick with when ever possible.But that's me !! :rolleyes:

·
Bronze member
3,104 Posts
I just ordered front and rear from eBay,24 bucks free shipping.
I figured might as well,and throw them on the shelf.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
Yup!! We're on the same page here brother.A long with the spare pads,I also have two tires in stock,just in case I run over something and cut one.And while I have the wheel off for tire R+R,I can also check my pads closely and replace em if necessary while I'm there,then order new pads for stock.Do the job once,do it right,then move on to the next job!! (y)

·
Bronze member
3,104 Posts
With the closest shops hours away,and with this virus thing,it's always good to know how to do these things yourself .
Never depend on anyone else,and you'll never get let down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts