Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone carry this out: replace both front and rear brake fluid? I know the fluid has a tendency to absorb moisture and have changed fluids out because of this on all my vehicles and motorcycles every 24-30 months. Never had a problem. Not saying that the fluid change was the cure, but it may have played a role.

Anyhow, the question I have is what to expect or hurdles to cross. This is my 1st bike with ABS so I am trying to understand what maintenance hurdles I may have in attempting a brake fluid change...

TIA!

Reactions: old4x4

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
I had the same concern so I had the dealer do it. However, my understanding is there are two types of ABS systems, one you need a special tool that allows the valves to be opened so the entire brake system is flushed out, and one that you don't. My understanding is that the Indian system does NOT require a special tool.

If anyone has the maintenance manual can you please verify?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
According to the service manual, there is no special procedure for the ABS, assuming to know how to bleed the brakes. Just keep filling the reservoir and pump steadily, not rapidly.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had the same concern so I had the dealer do it. However, my understanding is there are two types of ABS systems, one you need a special tool that allows the valves to be opened so the entire brake system is flushed out, and one that you don't. My understanding is that the Indian system does NOT require a special tool.

If anyone has the maintenance manual can you please verify?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Flushed my brake fluid per the manual. Just like bleeding brakes on every vehicle I've owned, ABS didn't make any difference.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I think the special tool is only needed if you have disconnected a brake line, such as when changing a master cylinder, and have to purge the system of air. Some people thought they needed to remove a brake line when fitting extended reach pegs on the Scout in the early days and could not purge the system properly at home. There are threads on the forum about it from a year or more ago.

Careful bleeding should not allow air into the system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did this on my Chieftain a couple of weeks ago. I bought speed bleeders first as I had used them on my Vstar 1300. Makes it a breeze. No problems with the ABS. I’ve always heard to use a fresh bottle of brake fluid so that’s what I do. Good luck. It’s not at all hard to do.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I did this on my Chieftain a couple of weeks ago. I bought speed bleeders first as I had used them on my Vstar 1300. Makes it a breeze. No problems with the ABS. I’ve always heard to use a fresh bottle of brake fluid so that’s what I do. Good luck. It’s not at all hard to do.
Same here--always heard once you opened a bottle, it will begin to absorb moisture and shouldn't be stored to use later. It's cheap enough anyway.

Reactions: tkdphoenix

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PastorEM,
Speed bleeders: had them on my previous bike and I did like them. Do you happen to know the thread size and bleeder length to use on the Vintage front and rear calipers?

Thanks, Nash.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Speed bleeders: had them on my previous bike and I did like them. Do you happen to know the thread size and bleeder length to use on the Vintage front and rear calipers?

Thanks, Nash.
I believe the sizes and P/Ns for Indian are listed in the Speed Bleeder website. 2 lengths are required.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone carry this out: replace both front and rear brake fluid? I know the fluid has a tendency to absorb moisture and have changed fluids out because of this on all my vehicles and motorcycles every 24-30 months. Never had a problem. Not saying that the fluid change was the cure, but it may have played a role.

Anyhow, the question I have is what to expect or hurdles to cross. This is my 1st bike with ABS so I am trying to understand what maintenance hurdles I may have in attempting a brake fluid change...

TIA!
On some automotive systems after installing a component that introduces air into the system the scan tool can cycle the valves and bleed the system. None that I know of on m/cycles have to be done this way when only flushing the system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Surprised it's not there. I think I was probably referencing this earlier post when I visited the site.
http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/speed-bleeders-installed.34313/#post-1271929
It does show someone who went through this exploration of sizes via working with Speed Bleeder. I personally used the Mity Vac with disappointing results with lots of air bubbles sucked in around the hard plastic tubing/nipple juncture - ended up the traditional method of pumping the master cylinders. Next time I'll try Teflon tape of the threads.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had master cylinder replaced as part of early recall on '15 Vintage. Brakes were spongy on ride home. Blended them as on any other vehicle which took care of issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Appreciate it. Will knock out the brake fluid change this weekend...

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
131 Posts
F225E7A7-4BC7-4829-AA8A-6256F0159F0E.jpeg
You might consider this a noob question, but is it normal for small amounts of front brake fluid to splatter on the reservoir and bars? I’ve noticed this a couple times after a ride, I quickly clean the area to remove any fluid...dealer says they don’t see any issue with it (had them check during a recent service). Any thoughts or ideas please let me know, thanks!

·
Rider
1,139 Posts
View attachment 397304 You might consider this a noob question, but is it normal for small amounts of front brake fluid to splatter on the reservoir and bars? I’ve noticed this a couple times after a ride, I quickly clean the area to remove any fluid...dealer says they don’t see any issue with it (had them check during a recent service). Any thoughts or ideas please let me know, thanks!
I can't believe a dealer would say this is normal

1 - 20 of 31 Posts