Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pre-owned 2022 Super Chief today (see pic) with about 210 miles on it. Nice to save money and it's in good shape. Unfortunately, the previous owner did not record the Master Pin or any personal PIN he set. I've played around with the owners manual and the process and, although I have the FOB, I guess I can't reset anything, even a new personal PIN. I think I have to go to a dealer...and I'm not a fan of my closest dealer that is about 1.5 hours away.

Writing to ask if I have this correct. Is there no way to recover or reset a PIN? Even just a personal PIN? What else is this Master PIN used for?

Thank you.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you contact to dealer he bought it from? They should have a record of the factory code.
Thanks
You need to go to the dealer; the master PIN is encoded in the VCM and can only be read by digital wrench. Then put the master PIN in something that will never get lost or destroyed. Many put it in their phones. If the battery in the key fob goes dead, and you don't have the pin, your stranded. Many have learned that lesson the hard way.

Also create a user PIN that you would never forget.
I was afraid of that. Thank you for the info. Is it also fair to say that I can't create a user PIN until I get to the dealer? The prior owner apparently put a user PIN in but didn't record it in the manual. I bought the bike used from a Harley dealer (73 year old traded in for a Harley trike), so they were of little help to me today.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, the only way you can create a user pin is to use a PIN to log in, master or user.
Thanks for the info. Follow-up question. On my Super Chief with the 4 inch screen, what purpose does this PIN serve at all? My manual doesn't talk about being able to start the engine with just the PIN like I see the larger bikes may do. Can I start the bike with the PIN? The owners manual isn't great on this topic. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My fun continues with my situation. The battery died. I took it out and replaced it. Went to start it....bike asking for the Master Pin before it will let me start the bike, I guess because I replaced the battery. What an annoying feature this is right now. I have to take it to a dealer which of course I can't do by riding it. Likely will have no choice other than to trailer it 1.5 hours away to a dealer to retrieve the code. I can't find any other way and no easy code has worked.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never heard of this before. Many of us have replaced batteries and had no issues starting the bike with the key fob present. Does the bike have removeable side covers? Sometimes as a long shot the master PIN can be located there, but it is a long shot. Some dealers put it there. I think it's possible to get the master PIN just from the VIN number, but dealers may not be comfortable because they would be too easy to take the bike.

Maybe it's a hell of a coincidence, but maybe the key fob battery is toast. Those take the standard CR2032 batteries
I will play around with the side covers. Got to run out to pick up a kiddo and then back tonight. I have the FOB on me, hit power, it boots straight up to the Master Pin screen with the red key icon noting Security system has been activated. After about 20 to 30 seconds, it cuts off automatically.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Never heard of this before. Many of us have replaced batteries and had no issues starting the bike with the key fob present. Does the bike have removeable side covers? Sometimes as a long shot the master PIN can be located there, but it is a long shot. Some dealers put it there. I think it's possible to get the master PIN just from the VIN number, but dealers may not be comfortable because they would be too easy to take the bike.

Maybe it's a hell of a coincidence, but maybe the key fob battery is toast. Those take the standard CR2032 batteries
I couldn't resist and I did take off the one side cover I do have. There is a white QR code looking thing but nothing else in there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

I replaced the Key Fob battery. No change. Bike boots up straight into asking for the pin with the red key on. I'm stumped.

Is there any chance this an ECU problem? I googled and see some folks talking about this on other issues with the battery but I honestly don't see how what I did should have caused any issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This might be a new security (2022) feature that when the battery is removed, the master pin has to be input. But the dealer should be able to get you the master pin just with the VIN number. Because it is associated with the bikes VCM. The bike both has a VCM and ECU
I've read that the bike must physically be connected to something at the dealer to get the PIN. I would think they should be able to get it from the VIN.

New info....I went out and noticed the tender charger cable is now blinking red. I've never seen it do that before. I do not have a charger attached. It is just blinking red. Any idea? Related?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Blinking red when not connected is normal.
Hmm, interesting. I've connected this bike every night and never noticed a red light. I have it in our dark garage and never noticed it. My Indian Scout does not blink but that's a different type.

Question: When I changed the battery, the tender cable also had a "cap" with a charger and opening in it near the battery area. It was open. Not sure what that is...would that matter where it was open or closed? Closed would insert whatever was there (fuses?) inserted into the slots. I'm talking something near the battery area and not the end where the charger is usually connected. Thanks much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Blinking red when not connected is normal.
Second follow up question...if I connect the tender to my own battery charger as I usually do, I see no light on the tender but I do see my usual lights on the actual charger. I don't see any mention of this tender line in the owner's manual. Maybe I'm missing it. Should there be a light when it's actually charging? I find it odd that it was blinking with nothing going on/no connections.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm updating here and I have to admit it was likely human error on my part.

I went and slowly worked my way backwards to double-check my work installing the new battery. While the batter terminals were tight/good, I think the antenna connection was not pushed in firmly enough. :eek: I did a better job making sure this was snug....bike started right up. Posting the answer to admit my own human mistake and in case it helps anyone else in the future. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have a battery tender jr and another higher end charger. The Jr blinks red when not plugged in. When plugged in it will progress from solid red to blinking green to solid green. The high end charger has a status display that shows state of charge. Hth
I have a battery tender jr and another higher end charger. The Jr blinks red when not plugged in. When plugged in it will progress from solid red to blinking green to solid green. The high end charger has a status display that shows state of charge. Hth
Thanks for the info. I have a battery tender jr and its behavior is the same as you outlined.

What I'm questioning is the battery tender line attached directly to the Indian Super Chief battery and hanging off the bike that I connect the battery tender jr too. Does that blink for you as well in the same way? It shows nothing when actually charging.

That cable also had a "cap" down the line that I mentioned. It was open, has some small prongs, so I closed that cap. I may need to take the seat off and take some pics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have additional new info today. The Harley Dealer where I bought this previously-owned Indian wrote me back to say they would contact the previous owner to see if he may have the Master Pin on his own documents. He also said he will call the Indian Dealer but that they don't usually extend professional courtesies with info. I have a July 1 appt with the Indian dealer so I can get it from them.

But the main thing that is a concern...Harley dealer said as part of their prep they put a brand new battery in the bike the day before I bought it because I had let them know I planned to purchase it. He said that's standard procedure for them. He said the battery should have been fine and he wonders if the bike has a draw or other issue. He suggested I have Indian check it out under warranty.

I'm not sure I have a way to check the draw at this point with my new battery except just leaving it and see what transpires. I usually leave my bikes connected to a tender so that may be masking an issue. This original problem arose when I left the tender off for 48 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts