Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am just getting started in the negotiation process. Looking at a 2014 Vintage - Black. Here is what I am getting initially from the dealer in Tucson

Bike 20,999
Set up 688
Doc 349
Trans 797
Mil Disc -1,000

total: $21,833.00

No other discount, includes 5 year warranty, this is plus tax, title and license.

My question is, what are you all paying for your bikes if you don't mind me asking? Would like to know before tax, title and license, as this varies by state.

With new model year around the corner, I am thinking I should be able to negotiate another $1,000 to $1,500 off of MSRP.

Your input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That setup fee seems a little steep to me.

The profit for the dealerships is in the Setup and Doc fee, so keep that in mind. I would have no problem paying a little more if I knew that they were going to take care of me.

The 5-year warranty is big too though. You will likely be taking the bike back to that dealer for any warranty work, so make sure that you don't burn a bridge, or at least make sure that they know that you know. Essentially your Mill Discount is eaten entirely by their profit. I would be interested to see what the fees are with folks that are not in the military are.

Do they know that you have seen the new color ways? Might be able to splash the pot and say that you are going to hold out for a two tone... You can always revert to the old one if they try to drop pricing on the 14's. Tell them, "Come on man, you have to make room for the 15's. Work with me on a 14, or I will probably hold out for a 15."

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm holding out for a 2015 two-tone Vintage with about $3100 in accessories (not including Luggage Rack) and couldn't negotiate any more than MSRP on the bike, minus "military discount" and a paltry 10% off on the accessories. It's gonna be more than the new car I bought my wife in May. But if Indian/Polaris throw another wrench into the works one more time, I think I'll go buy two new rice burners and wear a friggin' cowboy hat. But I really want that Vintage!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran across the link below on another forum. It shows dealer invoice on Indians, the Vintage invoice is $18,905, so if they got MSRP it would net them $2094.00. Add in set up at 688 and Doc 350, they net a total $3132. I am sure that the dealer does not lose the Military Discount, they probably get that back from Polaris. I do know they would have to sell quite a few bikes a month to stay in business, with overhead and all. But they don't have to get it all from me. The way I see it, they are after my money, and I am needing to protect it. :)

I will add a backrest (Minus not included luggage rack) :) and fishtails for now. I am thinking about the two tones, really liking the green, but the 5 year warranty is a draw, and Black is the fastest color on a motorcycle!

Thinking I may play the 15's are coming game and see what happens. If I do ride one home, I will have alot of Harley memorabilia to box up and store!

Thanks for the input!

Indian Motorcycle | See Dealer Cost

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For kicks, on that website, look at Harley Davidson's, some money to be made there, in their more expensive bikes! Not much mark-up on rice burners though. Starlifter, I hear what you are saying, I could wear my Cowboy Hat while riding my Harley and save a bunch of money! :) And thank you for your service....22 years in the Army here, retired 10 years now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I almost bought a 2014 Vintage in the Springfield Blue a couple months ago but there was a display thingy in the showroom that was topped by a two-tone red/cream front fender. I got to thinking, sure as sh*t if I buy the 2014, Indian will bring out the two-tones for 2015. I anguished over it for a few days because of the 5 yr. warranty. Ultimately, I am trusting Polaris/Indian to have payed close attention to feedback the first year, not that there have been any major issues. I'm also with you on the fishtails. I wouldn't have them on any other bike but they are just somehow right on this machine.

I've never had a black bike and likely never would. My wife thought the black Vintage would look good until I told her it would look like 10,000 Harleys.

Let us know if you strike a reasonably good deal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Actually, I'd have to buy the cowboy hat too. And thanks for your service. I got you by one year of service and 10 years on retirement. But mine was in the "Chair Force" as soldiers and Marines are apt to describe it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Before you buy that two toned bike I'd recommend asking if the two tone is paint or clear over decal. Heard a rumor its not paint and it seems like a lot to pay if thats the case (since some dealers are doing the paint for at or very close to the same price). Just a thought. Semper Fi.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you buy that two toned bike I'd recommend asking if the two tone is paint or clear over decal. Heard a rumor its not paint and it seems like a lot to pay if thats the case (since some dealers are doing the paint for at or very close to the same price). Just a thought. Semper Fi.
This would not be good. If two tone is a decal, there would be no way I would pay for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cannot imagine the two tone is a decal.

As far as price the local dealer is talking 4k over sticker here for a Roadmaster. Needless to say him and I aren't talking anymore. I may head to Charlotte or Arkansas to get mine. People rave about those two dealers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cannot imagine the two tone is a decal.

As far as price the local dealer is talking 4k over sticker here for a Roadmaster. Needless to say him and I aren't talking anymore. I may head to Charlotte or Arkansas to get mine. People rave about those two dealers.

This dealer is doing two tones on 2014's at a very reasonable price. GREGORY POLARIS JACKSONVILLE, AR (501) 834-0344

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4k over msrp, they are seriously on drugs. I guess if they can get it, more power to them. I agree, i would be really surprised if the two tone was a sticker.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Got my custom paint done on my Vintage by Gregory Polaris in Arkansas. I'm in Maryland and my next Indian will be shipped or ridden home from there. Ask for Rob if you call. Extraordinary customer service.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
There is always the "used' bike market. I found my Indian on E-Bay. I paid $23K for a bike with some factory accessories and all of 2K miles on it AND it is one of the first 1901 numbered bikes. Before I bought the bike I asked the local dealer what the same bike with the same accessories would cost. $28,500 out da door! After I paid registration and factored in my costs to go get the bike (350 miles away from me) I saved about $4,800 AND I got one of the numbered bikes in the best color.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a 2014 Thunder Black Vintage, I Paid $20,999.00, Bike only, Then there were $269.00 Doc Fees, Lic & Reg $25.00, Sales Tax $300.00 (Sales Tax in South Carolina is 10% or $300.00 Max on vehicles) Then I got a few accessories after that price. Bluetooth Speakers $599.00, Riders Backrest $524.96, Handlebar Tan bag $199.00. It was a little more than I thought I was going to spend, But Man I love riding it! Keep figuring out when I can ride it other than going to the store or errands around town!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see you guys don't like the idea of the dealer making about $4000.00 total profit on their Indian Bikes and i am not arguing with you but it costs a ton of money to own a Indian dealership. if you sit down and figure out all their costs to operate a business the figures would astonish you as i own a business and know what these costs add up to. Insurance and taxes are the biggest culprits and you have to make a certain amount of profit to operate and stay in business or you will fall by the wayside as so many small businesses have in the past. believe me when i say that i want the cheapest price when i go ride shopping also (auto or bike) but i know there is a bottom number and they cannot go below that. another thought is, if you really like Indian Motorcycles you better support your local dealer or he will go out of business and then where will you go and how far will you have to travel to go to another dealer. until there is a Indian dealer around every corner as Harley has we will have to bite the bullet and support what we have available or Indian will fail again and i don't care how much money they have behind them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see you guys don't like the idea of the dealer making about $4000.00 total profit on their Indian Bikes and i am not arguing with you but it costs a ton of money to own a Indian dealership. i.
It is not $4k of profit folks don't like. It is $4k over MSRP which equals regular profit built in to the whole dealer arrangement PLUS $4,000 just because the dealer thinks he can charge it. I can't blame him for asking but I would shop across the country before I paid over MSRP unless it was something I absolutely had to have and couldn't find anywhere else. I bought my Indian from SC dealer even though NC has a couple dealerships closer. The one NC dealer didn't seem to want to go below MSRP.

In fairness I didn't try too hard to get him to budge but my initial impression was he was dug-in pretty good with MSRP and I knew I was going to be near another dealer the next few days so I didn't push him. I made an offer to SC dealer and we were about $500 apart for a couple days. We then split the difference and I drove it home with my wife driving the car back home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
that is good news for everybody that is shopping and in the market to buy. now if the other dealers would follow suit maybe , just maybe, Indian will be around for a long time. Polaris has a lot of money backing the Indian motorcycle but it is the dealers that will make or break the deal and as like you all stated , if you are not getting a decent deal you won't buy the bike and may be inclined to do business with a different company. as far as the used market, yes you can save money buying one but dealers in order to stay in business have to sell new bikes, not just service the few used ones out there. I have a dealer very near me that i would not buy from or get my ride serviced as they think they are the only game around (and they are ) but as far as i am concerned they can keep their inventory that they think are so valuable. this problem is the reason i have not yet bought a new Indian yet as they do not have any competition and i do not want to drive 150 miles to the next nearest one. i know you guys are going to say that 150 miles is not that far and i agree but when you need service, i do not want to drive that distance back and forth every time. now if you have extensive service you will have to get your ride there , go back home , then return the150 miles to the dealer and then get it back home, which is now 600 miles traveled to get service, way too many miles and very expensive. this is what has to change for Indian to be successful and i wish them Good Luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not mind a dealer making a profit, that's why they are in Business. I would like to support the local dealer also, it's important to me to build that relationship. But, at what cost? Is the dealers expectation that everybody will be so absolutely astounded by the new Indian, that we will open our wallets and throw money at them? If a dealer is asking 4k over retail, that dealer would never see a dime of my money. I do like the Indian, am looking into owning one, but if I can't get a fair deal, then I will move on.

It's all business, Polaris isn't giving the five year warranty out of the kindness of their heart. New motorcycle, buyers a little nervous, let's throw a 5 year warranty out there to see if that will help, and it is.

I want Polaris-Indian to succeed, I think it is important for the market. They will fail if dealers continue to think 4k over msrp is reasonable. To be fair to the dealership in Tucson, they are asking msrp, not 4k over. They are also owned by Ride-Now Motorsports, a fairly large multi-state company. I have only bought one bike from them in the past ten years, all other negotiations have failed due to their extra fees. The local Harley dealer, owned by Ride Now wanted me to pay $650.00 set up fee on a used bike. A USED BIKE, what the hell? I left and they called me and said they would waive the fee if I came back and I told them to stuff it. I was there ready to buy, cash in hand and they try that. I have bought 8 bikes from Cochise Motorsports in Sierra Vista in the past 14 years. A one owner shop, they have always treated me well, given me their bottom line price and we have made the deal. No extra fees, no BS, just a great shop. Unfortunately they will not be dealing in Indians at this time. He is a Victory, Polaris, Honda and Yamaha dearler. Think they are waiting to see what happens with Indian.

Used market is hit and miss, but I am not against it. Rather get a new one from my local dealer.

Anyway, I want a fair deal, and the intent of this thread I started was to see what everybody was getting. Sounds like pretty much msrp is it. I will test ride one here in the next couple of weeks and see what I think.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts