Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been a Harley enthusiast and ridden Harley’s for over 20 years. Still love my current 2 Harleys (Road King and Heritage Softail). Considering possibly adding an Indian Springfield. How many of you own both and what is your perspective. Also one of my hesitations is that the nearest dealer is close to 1 1/2 hours away. However I’m assuming a local Indy can help with some repairs when needed.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Get the Indian, you won't need to worry about how far a dealer is for repairs as they are very reliable machines. Keep the Harley's, especially the RK, I love those bikes too. P.S. I have a Chieftain and a 2020 Scout, great bikes, go ride one.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I have a 2015 Roadmaster and a 2004 Sportster 1200R, my around town bike. My RM has 63,000 on the clock and is the best bike I’ve ever owned. The Sporty is fun, dependable and I find it easy to maintain. The RM just keeps going.

·
Bronze member
1,961 Posts
I have a 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse that i've converted into a Roadmaster (all Indian accessories). It is the most comfortable, capable touring/short trip scoot I've owned. I've owned many Harley's over the last 22 years. My current HD, which I will never sell, is a 1996 FLSTN Heritage Special. The EVO is an easy to maintain, simple design and this bike is a lot of fun to go for 2 hour jaunts on. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip, it is in excellent condition, but would choose my Indian every time for that. Best of both worlds. Get an Indian, you won't be disappointed.

·
Rider
974 Posts
I currently have both and can honestly say that I ride the SF way more than I ride the springer these days. I do my own work as much as possible and wrenching on the Indian although different, is easier in my opinion than on the HD. I say go for it! The SF is an outstanding motorcycle and for me the best I have ridden in 30+ years of riding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good morning
I have an 03 heritage as well and just purchased 2019 Springfield used with 243 miles on it . My nearest HD dealership is 20 miles away and the Indian dealer is 40 miles away. I've never taken the HD to the dealer for any service, and hopefully I don't for the indian. I will take it in for the 500 mile service. I went to the dealer after I purchased it to transfer the warranty and they all seemed very helpful.So I'm hoping I have as good of luck with the SF as I did with the HD

·
Registered
60 Posts
I now have both. Just joined the team as I am finishing up building a customized 16 Roadmaster. Haven't ridden it yet as I have been working on it all winter. This will be my touring and my 09 dyna is my "old school" chopper for around town. I ride with a big group and lot of them claim "only Harley is the greatest"

This will change when I get my beast out. I love the look of the Indians and you will set yourself apart from the crowd with one.

A couple of things for me is i have two dealers within and hour drive but even that can be an inconvenience if you only need something small. Also, there is some aftermarket stuff available for Indians but nowhere near Harley. Good thing is that Indians look good stock.

I am looking forward to mine and from having the bike apart down to the frame, these machines are built well.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve been a Harley enthusiast and ridden Harley’s for over 20 years. Still love my current 2 Harleys (Road King and Heritage Softail). Considering possibly adding an Indian Springfield. How many of you own both and what is your perspective. Also one of my hesitations is that the nearest dealer is close to 1 1/2 hours away. However I’m assuming a local Indy can help with some repairs when needed.

I only have really one negative when comparing the Springfield to the RK and it’s probably just me. The stock seat on the Springfield just didn’t work for me. A thirty mile ride was all I could do. Got an extended reach seat that was for a road master and it’s all good. I love the bike. My only other comment is that I really prefer the six speed of the Springfield over the five speed RM.
Both are good bikes. No complaints either way. Honestly I ride the Springfield much more.

·
Registered
312 Posts
While I am a fan of owning both (currently 3 HD's and 2 Indians), I would reconsider having both a Road King and a Springfield as they are too similar in look and function. But the kicker is that you will always choose the Springfield over the Road King! It is just a superior bike in every regard I can thing of, unless you have some very cool paint job on the road king. The ergos on the Springfield are better than any bike I have owned (I would still have it but have a policy that I don't keep two bikes with the same engine at the same time and the roadmaster is my big bike go-to). Although, if your thing is a bagger with a windshield, then go for it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I currently own 2 Harley's and a Chief Vintage. I plan to keep and ride all three.

I like my touring bike, the ultra limited, but the ride is better on the Indian. I just haven't felt inclined to go the Roadmaster route, but if they bring back the Roadmaster Classic I'd consider getting one.

I keep and ride each for different reasons. I like each of them.

I'm finally able to get the Vintage out and am so happy I bought one.

Don't think you can go wrong by owning both Harleys and Indians.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Don't think you can go wrong by owning both Harleys and Indians.
Yep... only problem on my end is a Piss Poor Dealer... if you are a guy who needs to rely on a Dealership for Absolutely Anything... be very afraid...ie do yer homework on the Dealership!!!
I'm on an Island here!!!

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts

My wife owns both a Fatboy '06 and Chieftain Darkhorse '16. She likes both, for different reasons and different occasions.
Of the two, the CDH still has an active aftermarket service plan. So both are serviced by a local independent shop (45 miles distant) , although the an Indian dealership is closer at 10 miles. No good experiences there so we ignore them.

For her, the FB has a maximum riding distance of about 200 miles. The CDH, well we really haven't found that limit yet, but we have hit a couple of 400 mile days.

The CDH will take much rougher roads and bumps.

The FB has its own private drip pan.

The FB is louder. I know we can change that, but she hasn't asked yet.
The FB is easier for her to handle. With a 27" inseam and weighting 120 lbs, she struggles with the CDH in tight places.

Both bikes are lowered. The CDH too much which impacts the handling -- she has to watch entering and leaving driveways.

Both bikes get complements but the FB seems to really attract attention. Did I mention it is a CVO and has more factory bling than should be allowed. It has more chrome than paint.

The FB seems to be more contrary. It has become hard to start when hot. I think the compression release(s) are failing.

The CDH has better lighting for night driving.
The CDH has better speakers and better vehicle on-dash information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I currently have both and can honestly say that I ride the SF way more than I ride the springer these days. I do my own work as much as possible and wrenching on the Indian although different, is easier in my opinion than on the HD. I say go for it! The SF is an outstanding motorcycle and for me the best I have ridden in 30+ years of riding.

View attachment 584861
Like the SF color scheme. What year is that ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only have really one negative when comparing the Springfield to the RK and it’s probably just me. The stock seat on the Springfield just didn’t work for me. A thirty mile ride was all I could do. Got an extended reach seat that was for a road master and it’s all good. I love the bike. My only other comment is that I really prefer the six speed of the Springfield over the five speed RM.
Both are good bikes. No complaints either way. Honestly I ride the Springfield much more.
For all my bikes, I always take off stock seat and put on a Mustang touring forme and my wife. No stock seat pleases me. Also I thought all Indians had 6 speed. Surprising the RM on has 5.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep... only problem on my end is a Piss Poor Dealer... if you are a guy who needs to rely on a Dealership for Absolutely Anything... be very afraid...ie do yer homework on the Dealership!!!
I'm on an Island here!!!
The Denver area has multiple Harley and Indian dealers...including one of each that are only a few hundred yards apart. We're fortunate here.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
Even though my Harley's stopped being ridden once my Indians came home, I refused to sell them for well over a year - I loved my Harley's that much.. I'd take em out for nostalgia rides every now and then, but no one else in the family would ride the Harley's if one of the Indians was available (Family rides are my "thing"..)

Sidebar: My Stage 1 Scout displaced not only my Sportster, it "killed" my Ducati Monster as well..

So, I eventually sold both Harleys and the Ducati - I miss them all but no one else does..

BTW, the Sporty and Ducati were new bikes purchased in 2015, the Ultra was "like new".. The Chief, Scout, and RM were purchased new in 2016..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even though my Harley's stopped being ridden once my Indians came home, I refused to sell them for well over a year - I loved my Harley's that much.. I'd take em out for nostalgia rides every now and then, but no one else in the family would ride the Harley's if one of the Indians was available (Family rides are my "thing"..)

Sidebar: My Stage 1 Scout displaced not only my Sportster, it "killed" my Ducati Monster as well..

So, I eventually sold both Harleys and the Ducati - I miss them all but no one else does..

BTW, the Sporty and Ducati were new bikes purchased in 2015, the Ultra was "like new".. The Chief, Scout, and RM were purchased new in 2016..
That’s funny. I wish money was unlimited. I’d have a dozen of varied bikes.

·
Rider
879 Posts

Not likely I will off the Shovelhead, nor Ironhead, nor EVO FXR, and Certainly Not my DragBike!!!!
The Denver area has multiple Harley and Indian dealers...including one of each that are only a few hundred yards apart. We're fortunate here.
Didn't say we don't got a dealer... said they aint worth a shit... Our H-D Dealers smoke 'em in All Regards...
can even get parts for Antiques!!!!
I wouldn't let our Dirt Bike mechanics even look at my YoYo....

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
Ok , how bout some gruesome details. Short and sweet, you can't ride a Sporty or an Ultra down the same roads, the same way, as you can a Scout, Chief, and RM.. Family that followed the Indians over the same speed bumps, and other "irregularities" , (obviously at the same speed of the Indians) got hurt.

The stage 1 scout would out run - or run with - the Ducati Monster. Monster had the handling, but the Scout had the comfort and the fully protective windshield.

There's more if anyone is interested..

·
Bronze member
1,930 Posts
For all my bikes, I always take off stock seat and put on a Mustang touring forme and my wife. No stock seat pleases me. Also I thought all Indians had 6 speed. Surprising the RM on has 5.
I think he mistyped RM when it should have been RK. The RM has a 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts