Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Bosch Lean Technology on our Challengers!

9K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  CHALLENGED_VA 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced what it does, how it works, what they think, is it worth it? Just curious. I pushed my Chally into a corner pretty hard the other day at a pretty good speed....and I didn't feel any "technology" assisting me here. Looking for some feedback from other Challenger owners who have this on their Dark Horse and Limited models.

#3 · (Edited)
I have experienced the lean technology assist once. A few weeks ago, I was leaning the bike over hard & low while powering out of a sharp bend at fast speed as I was riding aggresively along a back road. The rear wheel started to slip (slide-out while spinning) due to my angle of lean and turning the throttle too fast coming out of the turn and the engine RPM suddenly dropped slightly without me letting off of the throttle which all happen within a nano second allowing the rear tire to regain traction on the road surface again. All this correction happen so fast that I never missed a beat coming out of the turn and kept going and realizing what had just happen....

#4 ·
@HERK 's experience is basically exactly how the system is designed to function. It is supposed to be near invisible to the rider because it should only work when it needs to. It is basically a traction control system instead of an ABS system. What makes it work on a motorcycle is the 6-Axis IMU (fancy acceleromoter, measures X,Y and Z axis as well as Yaw, Pitch and Roll). It combines the information coming out of the IMU with the 2 wheel speeds to make a determination on if it needs to cut throttle or apply brakes to keep you from crashing/sliding out. That is the simple answer.

#9 ·
No... I do so get it man. Just one of the many reasons why I was drawn to the Challenger. When the question was made, I responded with a my experience of the lean technology for HyeHogs benefit. What I didn't say in my response is like many of the motorcycles I've ever owned, coming from both off-road and street riding, I like to test different limits of a machine when pushed. About a month ago I actually had been trying to create a situation and make the lean technology work for me but wasn't sure (little scared to drop a 30K bike) if I could react to it when it would happen. The funny thing about this experience was that when it happen.... I wasn't trying to make it work and was just getting aggressive with my riding so wouldn't you know it, it just happen! :cool:

#5 ·
OK, good to hear. I just have to get my mind wrapped around this thought that the technology will CUT the power into a corner, albeit for a nanosecond. Usually you want to POWER on coming out of a corner to keep the rear wheel planted to the pavement. HERK and TECH thanks for the input......now I know what to expect....when I least expect it. Does that sound right?!?!!?!?:oops::cool:. Thnx

#6 ·
It won't necessarily do it entering a corner, it all depends on what the system inputs are reading. More often than not it happens mid corner or near corner exit when a rider is trying to correct for something unexpected or entered too hot. You should also not be too worried about interfering with what the system is trying to do since ultimately it is cutting power as well as modulating the ABS, if you notice the cut in power and get a bit of whiskey throttle the system won't all of a sudden apply that exact throttle being requested if it is unsafe to do so. It is really rather seamless and should not be noticable if you just go out and ride like you normally would. I hope that all makes sense.

This video gives a visual overview that may help.

#10 ·
Spykez, don't mean to be overly critical here, but what you are talking about is TCS (traction control system), which I believe is a little different than the BLT (bosch lean technology), though a BLT sandwich sounds good right about now:p. I'm going to try and engage my BLT.......but I really don't want to be overly aggressive and have the worst case happen.......and make a mess of myself and the bike. I think I have an idea of what it does.....and it's supposed to be as non-intrusive as possible....by design. That's what safety technology is all about! Appreciate your input though. Thnx

#15 ·
I know this is old, but I just posted on this (didn’t see this thread). It works! I ride my bike like a maniac sometimes (it’s a sickness!) It happens before you even have time to think about it and the bike just grabs and tracks. I’m sure there’s some limit where the system can no longer help you, but it’s beyond the hotness in which I would enter a corner and like I said, I’m a bit of a maniac from time to time.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe that Bosch Lean Technology and updates were very sensitive, and my expectations were fully justified, because we all regularly want to experience something more new, cool and multifunctional, and this is logical, and this is described in the materials where experts in a large analytical collection of materials analyzed the technology topic, their role in the 21st century, in certain areas, how they change society and many interesting and no less important things.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Don't have it so I don't miss it. (or don't know what I'm missing)
That being said I've yet to encounter a situation where I've felt the bike losing traction and I ride fairly aggressively.
I've ridden on sand, grass, dirt road, rain...etc.
This bike is very stable and always feels "planted" to me for lack of a better term.

#24 ·
I've had it on all my recent bikes: 18 1290 SuperDuke, 18 1290 Super Adventurer, 21 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory and now the Challenger DH - wouldn't have bought the CDH (or any bike without it!). Between Brembo's, Cornering ABS/TC and Liquid Cooled = only reason I have a bagger now, otherwise would have waited until someone added it! Haven't noticed it on the CDH but the other 3 it's saved my bacon more than once! Be safe!

#26 ·
I’m not sure what it’s actually doing all I know is that compared to my previous bike (road master) w stage 1&2 my challenger and I now take the cloverleaf entries at twice the recommended speed now and I feel absolutely in complete control even having had the rear try to slip she pulls it back in and we’re screaming as we enter the freeway.

#29 ·
I felt the magic once... I came around a corner and, mid-lean, found there was a stop light on the curve controlling a tunnel under a rail crossing that was only one lane wide. Of course, at the same time I tried to go upright and stop, my front wheel went into a rutt in the road. I still don't know how it worked, all I know is I felt the bike do something, then I was upright and stopped when I should have been on my side.

Three cheers for techno-voodoo!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.