Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced what it does, how it works, what they think, is it worth it? Just curious. I pushed my Chally into a corner pretty hard the other day at a pretty good speed....and I didn't feel any "technology" assisting me here. Looking for some feedback from other Challenger owners who have this on their Dark Horse and Limited models.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,472 Posts
I think I felt it once, I had my cruise on and came into a corner that was much sharper than I expected. I felt the power drop off for just a second then as I leaned back up, came right back.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I have experienced the lean technology assist once. A few weeks ago, I was leaning the bike over hard & low while powering out of a sharp bend at fast speed as I was riding aggresively along a back road. The rear wheel started to slip (slide-out while spinning) due to my angle of lean and turning the throttle to fast coming out of the turn and the engine RPM suddenly dropped slightly without me letting off of the throttle which all happen within a nano second allowing the rear tire to regain traction on the road surface again. All this correction happen so fast that I never missed a beat coming out of the turn and kept going and realizing what had just happen....

·
Registered
54 Posts
@HERK 's experience is basically exactly how the system is designed to function. It is supposed to be near invisible to the rider because it should only work when it needs to. It is basically a traction control system instead of an ABS system. What makes it work on a motorcycle is the 6-Axis IMU (fancy acceleromoter, measures X,Y and Z axis as well as Yaw, Pitch and Roll). It combines the information coming out of the IMU with the 2 wheel speeds to make a determination on if it needs to cut throttle or apply brakes to keep you from crashing/sliding out. That is the simple answer.

·
Bronze member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, good to hear. I just have to get my mind wrapped around this thought that the technology will CUT the power into a corner, albeit for a nanosecond. Usually you want to POWER on coming out of a corner to keep the rear wheel planted to the pavement. HERK and TECH thanks for the input......now I know what to expect....when I least expect it. Does that sound right?!?!!?!?:oops::cool:. Thnx

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, good to hear. I just have to get my mind wrapped around this thought that the technology will CUT the power into a corner, albeit for a nanosecond. Usually you want to POWER on coming out of a corner to keep the rear wheel planted to the pavement. HERK and TECH thanks for the input......now I know what to expect....when I least expect it. Does that sound right?!?!!?!?:oops::cool:. Thnx
It won't necessarily do it entering a corner, it all depends on what the system inputs are reading. More often than not it happens mid corner or near corner exit when a rider is trying to correct for something unexpected or entered too hot. You should also not be too worried about interfering with what the system is trying to do since ultimately it is cutting power as well as modulating the ABS, if you notice the cut in power and get a bit of whiskey throttle the system won't all of a sudden apply that exact throttle being requested if it is unsafe to do so. It is really rather seamless and should not be noticable if you just go out and ride like you normally would. I hope that all makes sense.

This video gives a visual overview that may help.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,472 Posts
When it happened to me, it took me a little ways down the road to realize what happened. I was focused on not losing it in the curve and puckered a bit. :)

·
Rider
620 Posts
Has anyone experienced what it does, how it works, what they think, is it worth it? Just curious. I pushed my Chally into a corner pretty hard the other day at a pretty good speed....and I didn't feel any "technology" assisting me here. Looking for some feedback from other Challenger owners who have this on their Dark Horse and Limited models.
From what I've read, it only really engages when the system detects your wheel slipping and losing traction then kicks in.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
@HERK 's experience is basically exactly how the system is designed to function. It is supposed to be near invisible to the rider because it should only work when it needs to. It is basically a traction control system instead of an ABS system. What makes it work on a motorcycle is the 6-Axis IMU (fancy acceleromoter, measures X,Y and Z axis as well as Yaw, Pitch and Roll). It combines the information coming out of the IMU with the 2 wheel speeds to make a determination on if it needs to cut throttle or apply brakes to keep you from crashing/sliding out. That is the simple answer.

No... I do so get it man. Just one of the many reasons why I was drawn to the Challenger. When the question was made, I responded with a my experience of the lean technology for HyeHogs benefit. What I didn't say in my response is like many of the motorcycles I've ever owned, coming from both off-road and street riding, I like to test different limits of a machine when pushed. About a month ago I actually had been trying to create a situation and make the lean technology work for me but wasn't sure (little scared to drop a 30K bike) if I could react to it when it would happen. The funny thing about this experience was that when it happen.... I wasn't trying to make it work and was just getting aggressive with my riding so wouldn't you know it, it just happen! :cool:

·
Bronze member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I've read, it only really engages when the system detects your wheel slipping and losing traction then kicks in.
Spykez, don't mean to be overly critical here, but what you are talking about is TCS (traction control system), which I believe is a little different than the BLT (bosch lean technology), though a BLT sandwich sounds good right about now:p. I'm going to try and engage my BLT.......but I really don't want to be overly aggressive and have the worst case happen.......and make a mess of myself and the bike. I think I have an idea of what it does.....and it's supposed to be as non-intrusive as possible....by design. That's what safety technology is all about! Appreciate your input though. Thnx

·
Rider
620 Posts
Spykez, don't mean to be overly critical here, but what you are talking about is TCS (traction control system), which I believe is a little different than the BLT (bosch lean technology), though a BLT sandwich sounds good right about now:p. I'm going to try and engage my BLT.......but I really don't want to be overly aggressive and have the worst case happen.......and make a mess of myself and the bike. I think I have an idea of what it does.....and it's supposed to be as non-intrusive as possible....by design. That's what safety technology is all about! Appreciate your input though. Thnx

Heres Indian talks about it, about 35 seconds in that the system is monitoring your lean angle and for any wheel slippage before it engages.

More importantly. If you go and make a BLT make a few extra, I could pound down a couple of those right now, haven't had one in so long homer mouth drool

·
Bronze member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Heres Indian talks about it, about 35 seconds in that the system is monitoring your lean angle and for any wheel slippage before it engages.

More importantly. If you go and make a BLT make a few extra, I could pound down a couple of those right now, haven't had one in so long homer mouth drool
SPYKEZ, thanks for sharing. Indian did a good job on this demo. However, my takeaway from this is that you really need to be riding your bike to the limit here.....and I wonder how many of us Challenger riders are doing that on a fully loaded touring bike....with or without a passenger. But nice to know it is there.....now that I know how it works!! But I don't think I'm going to try it anytime soon!! Thnx again. I'll hand deliver the BLT sandwiches....as I'm heading to CO and UT for some riding in July!;) Where are you located??!?!

·
Bronze member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HA!! With the power port in the right side saddle bag, I'll make sure I keep it warm for you!! Ride safe, brother!!! And let me know how many times you engage your "BLT"!!!! :p

·
Rider
566 Posts
I know this is old, but I just posted on this (didn’t see this thread). It works! I ride my bike like a maniac sometimes (it’s a sickness!) It happens before you even have time to think about it and the bike just grabs and tracks. I’m sure there’s some limit where the system can no longer help you, but it’s beyond the hotness in which I would enter a corner and like I said, I’m a bit of a maniac from time to time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts