Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
BoosterPlug success. 2017 Scout 69, OEM stage 1 mufflers and reflash, Trask hi performance air filter.

Installing the BoosterPlug was easy, and with the plug installed the bike is transformed. The jerkiness at low speeds and on the overrun is almost completely gone, and pickup from idle is super smooth. As if my Scout was equipped with a nicely tuned Linkert carburettor. Consumption seems to be virtually the same. I am aware of all the snake oil discussions going on around the boosterPlug, but as for now I love it.

www.boosterplug.com

Registered
I did the same this winter with my 60, after having extremely great success with the Boosterplug on my Bonnie a few years ago. It actually gives you besides the above described "smoothness" also some increased torque in the mid-range, which is where I ride my 60 the most. Asking Jens (the owner) if that would be true or just my "imagination", he confirmed it! They just can't/won't advertise it 馃榾 I personally didn't see any increase in consumption/decrease in fuel mileage because it fluctuates so much anyway. I'm constantly between 50.8 mpg as my lowest (before Boosterplug) and 55.3 mpg, which I measured once and that was after the installation. Most of the time it's between 51 and 53 and I think that is GREAT! (y)

Bronze member
This devide is an IAT tweaker. (Inlet Air Temperature).. This is the simplest and one of the oldest methods of "performance retuning" ... The IAT signalling (to the ECM) is altered - the ECM thinks it is colder outside than it really is. So it enriches some or all of the fueling curve.. The results will vary, depending on how badly the stock fueling curve needs enrichening (due to intake/exhaust, etc, mods)..

The principle is solid, the results are going to be solid..

Oddly, many will recognize the potential differences offered by this device - if they've noted how much better their bike accelerates (etc) in cooler weather, or alternatively, when their engine is not quite fully warmed up. This device will attempt to "put into effect" that performance, all the time..

Now the bad news. Except for the Scout 69 engine, all Indian 111 and Scout 60 engines have a "detune" built into the stock "as delivered" programming. Anyone running the stock base programming on a 111 or Scout 60 will not be able to enjoy the full potential of their engine until a Fuel Moto flash tune is loaded onto their ECM via a Fuel Moto PV3..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
yes, the concept is very basic, but it works. The engineers at Indian would have done the same if regulations had allowed them to do so.

Registered
Interesting, had never heard of it till now.

Will this also work if I have a fuel tuner already install? Seems like it could, just want to make sure.

Registered
I鈥檇 highly recommend you contact Jens though www.boosterplug.com and discuss it with him. He will know 馃憤

Registered
@MattyBoy: Nothing "sketchy" about it at all and you can rest assured, you are NOT wrecking your machine! :) Not sure where you bought your Scout, but mine was a lot cheaper than the $20-30k you mention here ;) but I did get your point and even at $5k only, you do NOT wanna wreck that bike. Go to their website @ www.boosterplug.com and read about the engineering and science behind it. It's interesting and can tell you, it works for me on 2 bikes! (y) ... and I'm no salesman for them and couldn't give more than 2 damns whether you buy one or like it or not :ROFLMAO::LOL:;)

Bronze member
That Booster Plug temp sensor ( on the long cable) is the key. Assuming it all works as described (and I have no reason to doubt them) , they are able to modulate the "output signal" of the Booster Plug - correcting the problems caused by using a simple resistor (spliced into the "IAT to ECM" wire)...

Regardless of a peep's knowledge level on all this - positioning the Booster Plug temp sensor must be done with great care. It must be able to sense ambient air temperature without ANY interference from heat sources on the motorcycle. I can't imagine where I'd put that sensor, in order to guarantee that it "sees" only ambient air flow..

Registered
I routed mine under tank and placed it behind the headlamp. When you ride, that鈥檚 when you want the system to work, there is plenty of ambient air and no heat from the radiator or engine has a chance to get up there. Again, you need to move forward to create that airflow. Works perfect on my 60 as well as since a few years on my Bonnie

Rider
@MattyBoy: Nothing "sketchy" about it at all and you can rest assured, you are NOT wrecking your machine! :) Not sure where you bought your Scout, but mine was a lot cheaper than the $20-30k you mention here ;) but I did get your point and even at $5k only, you do NOT wanna wreck that bike. Go to their website @ www.boosterplug.com and read about the engineering and science behind it. It's interesting and can tell you, it works for me on 2 bikes! (y) ... and I'm no salesman for them and couldn't give more than 2 damns whether you buy one or like it or not :ROFLMAO::LOL:;)
Jeeze... I thought I would catch WAY more s h i t than that! Being a software guy and knowing that all this air/fuel mixture is being calculated based on God knows how many parameters, changing one of them without knowing their interdependence should be simple, right? As we say in the business: "What could possibly go wrong?"

(Also, on the $20-30k thing: sorry about that... I had my Challenger glasses on. My 2017 Scout69 was something like $13k base price, but I have added so much stuff that by now I must have $20k into it.)

Registered
:LOL: love it 馃槀

Reactions: MattyBoy

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Seems that Polaris dealers are now installing the BoosterPlug on FTRs, to cure their fuel management issues.

Registered
:LOL: that is SO COOL (y):devilish:

Reactions: Indijan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts