Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched several forums, but had to give up and create a post. This looked like the best forum, so here I am.

I am considering buying my first cruiser after owning everything from super motard to sport touring biles. Looking for something more relaxed for solo riding + 1-2 weekend trips a year. The Scout and Scout bobber are at the top of the list.

I have found answers to most of my questions but 2:

1:Why is the lean angle less on the bobber than the scout and what can be done to increase it to the same (or better) as the scout?

2:I have a 32” inseam. I read that many find the Scout comfortable but the Bobber cramped. Why is that, and what can be done to make the Bobber as comfortable as the Scout?

·
Registered
118 Posts
For #1 I believe the answer is the lower rear suspension on the bobber. I am 5'11" and don't necessarily find the bobber cramped, but have ordered forward foot control mounts. FreeSpirits makes 2", 3", and 4" extensions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
The bobber is lower to the ground reducing the lean angle and the foot pegs are in a different location reducing the reach and making it a little more cramped. I think the seat also puts you in a little different position. I think you will find the scout a little more comfortable off the showroom floor than the bobber and if you are looking to do overnight weekend trips you will find more luggage and wind protection options for the regular scout than the bobber. I also have a 32” inseam 6” 210 lbs and own a scout. I feel is comfortable and can put lots of miles on in a day but it’s no touring bike. I also ride it a lot in the NC and WV mountains and have no handling or ground clearance complaints.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for replying!

I toured on my supermotard, so wind protection is not a priority :) Luggage on the other hand is someting I need to take into consideration.

So if you fit a taller rear shock on the Bobber the ground clearance should be the same as the scout? And will that mess up the handling?

·
Registered
2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
147 Posts
According to the Indian Motorcycle website the lean angle on the Scout and the Scout Bobber are both 29 degrees. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Interesting post as I am in middle of buying 2021 scout. At 6 feet tall i m getting extended seat and forward controls. With faring. Looking forward to dealer getting bike in and setting up.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
147 Posts
The lean angle on the Scout Sixty and Scout Bobber Sixty are listed at 31*. Slightly more than the bigger Scouts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you both for replying!

I toured on my supermotard, so wind protection is not a priority :) Luggage on the other hand is someting I need to take into consideration.

So if you fit a taller rear shock on the Bobber the ground clearance should be the same as the scout? And will that mess up the handling?
I assume the only difference is the rear shock so fitting a longer shock or a standard scout shock should bring the ground clearance up and I doubt it would have any negative effect on handling and probably improve handling and ride comfort.

·
Premium Member
2020 Scout Bobber
169 Posts
The really weird thing is there is no difference between the seat height, rake, width, or pretty much anything between the standard and the 60 but yet it is listed as a lean of 29 for standard and 31 for the 60.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the Indian Motorcycle website the lean angle on the Scout and the Scout Bobber are both 29 degrees. Am I missing something?
On the Norwegian Indian site the bobber is listed at 29 degrees, and the scout+scout sixty at 31degrees.
The bobber sixty has no lean angle listed, just n/a.

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 2019
128 Posts
Hi I’m 5.10 & Iv got the solo 1920 seat & rider floor boards on my 2019 bobber & it gives you more room to move around & adjust my riding position

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! I am 6 2”.

I think the logical choice is togo with the Scout sixty with increased reach seat and controls. But if I can get the bobber just as comfortable I would go that route. Hence this post :)

It is frustrating gathering all the information. After creating this thread I read that the foot pegs are 1” wider on the bobber, which will decrease the lean angle off course.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting post as I am in middle of buying 2021 scout. At 6 feet tall i m getting extended seat and forward controls. With faring. Looking forward to dealer getting bike in and setting up.
You may want to ride a little with the standard controls before additive extended. I’m 6’ tall too but it comes down to your inseam. I have a 32” inseam and am happy with the stock seat and controls. I like that I can keep my feet on the controls with my knees slightly bent or rest my heal in the pegs to stretch out a little and change my position on longer rides. Not sure if I could do that with extended seat and/or controls. I also added the fairing to my bike, I think it finnishes the look off perfectly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cool! I am 6 2”.

I think the logical choice is togo with the Scout sixty with increased reach seat and controls. But if I can get the bobber just as comfortable I would go that route. Hence this post :)

It is frustrating gathering all the information. After creating this thread I read that the foot pegs are 1” wider on the bobber, which will decrease the lean angle off course.
Correct the pegs On the bobber are wider and moved back making it more cramped and reducing the lean angle. I believe The bobber pegs are basically the reduced reach pegs for the scout .

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 2019
128 Posts
With the rider floor boards I’m just scraping the sacrificial bolts on either side but I’m right on the limit of the rear tyre!!! I think if the bolts were removed there’d be no warning I’m getting close to loosing the back The bobber is an 1” lower than scout on the rear but don’t know what that equates to in lean angle

·
Registered
273 Posts
You may want to ride a little with the standard controls before additive extended. I’m 6’ tall too but it comes down to your inseam. I have a 32” inseam and am happy with the stock seat and controls. I like that I can keep my feet on the controls with my knees slightly bent or rest my heal in the pegs to stretch out a little and change my position on longer rides. Not sure if I could do that with extended seat and/or controls. I also added the fairing to my bike, I think it finnishes the look off perfectly.
Have 34 inseam thanks for input. My first liquid cooled bike in 40 yrs. Scout looks fun to custom. Do a burn out!!! Leave your mark

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 2019
128 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not an expert on the Scout(by any stretch...My Scout Bobber Sixty was delivered last week). My understanding is that the lean angle on the Scout Bobber/Sixty is more because the foot-pegs are the reduced reach (2" back and higher). This may also explain why you feel more "cramped". The Service manager explained this to me when I was considering getting the reduced reach kit (my inseam is 30"). The US website lists the lean angle of the Bobber/Sixty at 31*. My last bike was an Ultra with the same lean angle. The bigger front tire and only 2" less wheelbase make the Scout Bobber Sixty feel very familiar to me (Though I do not miss the added 350+ lbs of the Ultra). I did add the reduced reach handlebars for a more upright position. I am waiting for the "comfort" seat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts