Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2019 Bobber and will be removing the stock mufflers to install aftermarket SO’s. It looks to me that the pipes can be removed together by loosening both clamps and removing two bolts. Is this correct for those that have removed your stock mufflers and did the exhaust header flanges also need to be loosened at the heads?

·
Rider
756 Posts
i have a 2019 Bobber and will be removing the stock mufflers to install aftermarket SO’s. It looks to me that the pipes can be removed together by loosening both clamps and removing two bolts. Is this correct for those that have removed your stock mufflers and did the exhaust header flanges also need to be loosened at the heads?
Nope leave the headers be,,Just loosen the clamps and take the bracket bolts off the pipe. Those pipes are a bear to get off,, putting the new pipes on is easier. Take your time and wiggle the top one off first,, then the bottom one. Some pipes use the OEM bracket, some supply there own bracket. When there both on,, tighten those clamps real good,, or you’ll get an exhaust leak. Then make sure everything is straight and tight,, fire it up,, “ OH THE SWEET SOUND OF LOAD PIPES “

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nope leave the headers be,,Just loosen the clamps and take the bracket bolts off the pipe. Those pipes are a bear to get off,, putting the new pipes on is easier. Take your time and wiggle the top one off first,, then the bottom one. Some pipes use the OEM bracket, some supply there own bracket. When there both on,, tighten those clamps real good,, or you’ll get an exhaust leak. Then make sure everything is straight and tight,, fire it up,, “ OH THE SWEET SOUND OF LOAD PIPES “
I putting on some Khrome Werks slip ons today on my Scout sixty . Need a 15MM and a 14mm, is that right ? I know it’s not many tools you need for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
756 Posts
I putting on some Khrome Werks slip ons today on my Scout sixty . Need a 15MM and a 14mm, is that right ? I know it’s not many tools you need for the job.

The 15MM SOCKET IS FOR THE CLAMPS,, a 13MM ,, ( mite be a 14mm for those new pipes) for the bolts holding the pipes to the bracket. ( 1-3/8” drive socket wrench, 1-15MM SOCKET, 1-13MM SOCKET and the 13mm and 15mm wrenches . Read the manufactures instructions,, do as it says,, they lay out all tools needed and hard wear supplied. That’s it,, take your time,, do it right,, and it will be just fine,. ( if ya ain’t got the right tools,, ) go to harbor freight, get what you need,, have one of the guys there help get the wrenches and sockets.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve got everything but the 15 MM socket and wrench.. I’ll stop by there on the way home . Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I did my install today and will be doing removal again in the morning. I can confirm the Vance & Hines supplied clamps are cheap made junk. For anyone reading this post in the future. Do not believe their provided instructions and attempt to torque their clamp to 45ft pounds. The bolt in the clamp is a M6 x 1 x 40. To even get their clamp on over the pipe end I had to go and get M6 x 1x 50. The pipe end before compressing is 2” O.D. The clamps I.D. Is 1 7/8”. Doesn’t take a smart man and a calculator to figure out it ain’t gonna fit. The other issue with it is it is not wide enough to cover the length of the expansion slots.

Now back to the torque issue. I have a high quality digital torque wrench. I was watching the torque when the first bolt snapped. It was 26lbs and that was one of the bolts I purchased. I then installed the Vance Hines supplied bolts. Snapped at 22lbs. Their clamps are a under rated clamp for this application. An M6 bolt is just to small for the job.

So as mentioned I am pulling it off in the morning. Hopefully will still slide right off considering they have only been squeezed to about have the recommended torque. I do have a set of universal clamps I picked up yesterday. Very similar to the OEM. Both the Universal and OEM clamps are 1 7/8” I.D. I couldn’t get the OEM or the universal clamps over the end of that 2” pipe or I would have used either of those to begin with. I’m hoping by squeezing half way with those crap clamps from Vance Hines I will be able to now. If you want to use the Vance Hines clamps I have them on now torqued to 18ft pounds. Can’t go any higher or they will snap. But they leak like hell.

Oh, I almost forgot. This SO kit is the Vance & Hines 3” round slash cut. I’m calling them tomorrow and ask why are they still selling these kits with this crap clamp in it. They should either not supply a clamp, or if they choose to provide one make sure it’s up for the job and can handle the torque value they recommend.

Bottom line. I wouldn’t recommend this kit if your considering getting it. The clamp issue is just a deal killer for me. They don’t look all that great either. One of the pipes rattles too if you shake it around in your hand.

I’ll make em work because I spent the money on them. But I’m not happy or impressed. Get something else.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Firstly I was less than happy with damned heavy the stock cans are.

Also. I have a Trask 2 into 1 I'm putting on the bike. Can I just run this or will I need to deal with a tune. I haven't put the power commander or intake on it yet. Just exhaust. But I'm ready to go ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firstly I was less than happy with damned heavy the stock cans are.

Also. I have a Trask 2 into 1 I'm putting on the bike. Can I just run this or will I need to deal with a tune. I haven't put the power commander or intake on it yet. Just exhaust. But I'm ready to go ride.

Why wouldn’t you put the air intake on? If you do yes I would flash it. But if not I’d just ride it with that exhaust and then decide if it needs a tune.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Only reason I haven't gotten to the intake and power commander is other obligations. They are the list I just wanted to make sure I can ride until then. The pipe I got an amazing deal on and it just sorta fell in my lap.
Why wouldn’t you put the air intake on? If you do yes I would flash it. But if not I’d just ride it with that exhaust and then decide if it needs a tune.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I called Vance & Hines about the clamps. They acted surprised and are sending two new clamps. Here is the icing on the cake. They are sending same clamps I just broke in half tightening. Unbelievable but it’s true.

I just ordered a set of 2” clamps off Dennis Kirk. Stupid VH, can’t believe they are sending same damn thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I called Vance & Hines about the clamps. They acted surprised and are sending two new clamps. Here is the icing on the cake. They are sending same clamps I just broke in half tightening. Unbelievable but it’s true.

I just ordered a set of 2” clamps off Dennis Kirk. Stupid VH, can’t believe they are sending same damn thing.
Let me know how this works out for you... while I didn't break anything, I did have to buy longer bolts, and I have the same slight movement (and subsequent leak) on the upper slip on.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know how this works out for you... while I didn't break anything, I did have to buy longer bolts, and I have the same slight movement (and subsequent leak) on the upper slip on.
I put in longer bolts also and snapped those too. I have them on now while I wait for the clamps I ordered. But they are leaking. Hopefully the new clamps will fix it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to Vance Hines. The replacement clamps they sent turned out to not be the same as what came in my kit. Although Vance Hines stated they were sending same clamps.

The second set of clamps they sent were similar to OEM but a little narrower. After installing the upper clamp it twisted just before 45lbs torque. The lower muffler clamp I got to 45lbs. Both mufflers still leak. Although they sound good they have proven to be too big a PITA and I’m throwing the towel in on them. They just won’t seal. I think the I.D. Is probably just to much to be able to squeeze them down enough to seal properly or before a clamp fails. I’ll be getting a 2-1 instead and will be putting these Vance Hines up for sale for about half price. Maybe someone will have better luck to get them to seal. I think the design is poor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts