Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something I noticed about my Bobber since I bought it last May - once I hit 80mph+, like trying to hit 100, it feels like I'm holding on for dear life. It's hard to describe but it just sort of feels like I could fall off the bike or something.

I've ridden on the street for over 10 years and never felt this way on other bikes. My girlfriend has a Moto Guzzis V7 she keeps in my garage and I can ride whenever I want, easily at 100mph+ and maintain that speed for awhile.

I've tried a bunch of things.
Kury Mini Spear floorboards, as my feet didn't feel really secure with the stock setup. It helped a little.
RSD mid controls - the most recent change I thought would fix it but it didn't.
9in rise bars - more of a relaxed riding position.
Fully suspension overhaul - Andreani front & Nitron rear - insane improvement to handling and comfort, but still at 90mph+ feels like I'm gonna fall off the bike.
Mustang seat - helped my ass not to feel like it was moving/sliding off.
Pirelli Night Dragons - bike falls over way easier but security over 80+ not helped much.

Al of these things helped a lot in their own ways, but didn't solve of the issue of feeling secure ton the bike at 80/90/100+.
I'm not sure what else to do. Luckily this bike is fun as hell when I'm not on major highways where I have to do 80+ the whole time. I realize the Bobber is a "bar hopper", not designed for long hauls, but still.. it is a functioning street motorcycle and I should be able to hit and maintain 100mph way more easily IMO.

Wondering if anyone experienced this and solved it? I was thinking of getting a small fairing, like the Memphis Shades Cafe. But I don't want to spend 350$ for something that may not help. I'm also not sure I like the look of it, but it would be worth it if it solved this issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something I noticed about my Bobber since I bought it last May - once I hit 80mph+, like trying to hit 100, it feels like I'm holding on for dear life. It's hard to describe but it just sort of feels like I could fall off the bike or something.

I've ridden on the street for over 10 years and never felt this way on other bikes. My girlfriend has a Moto Guzzis V7 she keeps in my garage and I can ride whenever I want, easily at 100mph+ and maintain that speed for awhile.

Kury Mini Spear floorboards, as my feet didn't feel really secure with the stock setup. It helped a little.
Fully suspension overhaul - Andreani front & Nitron rear - insane improvement to handling and comfort, but still at 90mph+ feels like I'm gonna fall off the bike.

Al of these things helped, but not at 80/90/100+.
I'm not sure what else to do. Luckily this bike is fun as hell when I'm not on major highways where I have to do 80+ the whole time. I realize the Bobber is a "bar hopper", not designed for long hauls, but still.. it is a functioning street motorcycle and I should be able to hit 100mph way more easily IMO.

Wondering if anyone experienced this and solved it? I was thinking of getting a small fairing, like the Memphis Shades Cafe. But I don't want to spend 350$ for something that may not help. I'm also not sure I like the look of it, but it would be worth it if it solved this issue.
I went through some of the same things on mine, I now have a Memphis Shades Road Warrior with the 11 inch vented shield and 12” Dean Speed Bars. It’s a lot better. Are you still running the stock Kenda’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I do need to add a fairing? Shirley you can't be serious.

Lol. Thanks for sharing. so fairing did help a lot? Think the Cafe would work? The road warrior is a little too big for me looks wise. And can you share pics??

And yeah I put PND tires on, forgot to mention that one. Huge improvement in handling but security on the bike over 80.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To didn’t realize how much of a difference the fairing made until I took it off and rode the other day. I am also running PND on mine, I went with a 180 rear with stock front size.
52BBB920-8E59-4AAB-B447-1A16CAA3A119.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think any of the Memphis Shades (road warrior, gauntlet, or cafe) will to what you want. I was very torn on my decision.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hell ive done 120 before on my bobber and it didnt seem sketchy to me. i just hugged the tank and hauled ass. but if you are on the stock kendas that might be part of the issue.

·
Rider
756 Posts

Al of these things helped a lot in their own ways, but didn't solve of the issue of feeling secure ton the bike at 80/90/100+.
I'm not sure what else to do. Luckily this bike is fun as hell when I'm not on major highways where I have to do 80+ the whole time. I realize the Bobber is a "bar hopper", not designed for long hauls, but still.. it is a functioning street motorcycle and I should be able to hit and maintain 100mph way more easily IMO.

Looks like or sounds like a very cool setup, my shovelhead was semi bobber,cruzer, chopper, and it too was sketchy at 80, 90, and a 100. So,, I just made it my bar hopper, country cruzer. Some bikes are born to Cruz,, some,, are 100mph plus.. your setups are a great bar hopper, a super nice bar hopper. You’ll find many beautiful bobbers at the sports bar, pizza joint, and there all parked right next to each other for the world to see. My shovel may not like 100, but it sure like hopping from place to place.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think any of the Memphis Shades (road warrior, gauntlet, or cafe) will to what you want. I was very torn on my decision.

OK, I've paid more attention while out riding this past weekend.
I do realize now that the tank is the culprit. Wouldn't change it for the world as the tank is the sexiest part of this bike.
That being said, it leaves you riding with your legs spread open, with absolutely nothing protecting them, which I think is why it feels sketch at 80mph+, because of that wind blowing on your spread legs, it feels like my feet will come off the pegs.
Mid controls did not help with this problem and neither did floorboards.

Do you think the fairing actually takes wind off your knees/mid section? Or is it just away from your torso?

thanks again for your feedback!
I'm also torn a lot on this decision. Did you find the Memphis Shade easy to remove when you want to?

·
Rider
756 Posts

Yeah I posted before,, I road my sons CBR1000R on the freeway this weekend and 100 mph feel like 60,, so,, took it to 120 , 130, felt stable, fast , no issues,. It was fun going fast and feeling in control. My scout would never feel as good going that fast, being tucked in on the 1000 is natural at high speed. Sitting up right, forward controls, apes, ain’t cutting it at 120, 100, for long periods of speed. SO,,, the scout is a cruzer,, 60 to 100, 75 is perfect. I have fun all day, 60 to 80. Maybe 100 to 130 short bursts. I never road the Harley more than 100 MPH, the mirrors flew away at 95. All your mods are terrific, very nice setup, great for canyon roads, that’s what I’d do.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I like my big heavy bikes for the higher speeds. I don't yet have any serious road time on a Scout. When I did push one hard, it felt like I was really out of my safety zone. Light bike, plus massive wind pressures.

·
Rider
530 Posts
Totally agree with DM , its a terrible riding position over 70 or so, youre as aerodynamic as a brick on a scout, took my sons old cbr954 up to 170 once
and it wasnt bad at all its all in the riding position. That being said i rarely go over 100 or so on my chieftain, its just not fun

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, I've paid more attention while out riding this past weekend.
I do realize now that the tank is the culprit. Wouldn't change it for the world as the tank is the sexiest part of this bike.
That being said, it leaves you riding with your legs spread open, with absolutely nothing protecting them, which I think is why it feels sketch at 80mph+, because of that wind blowing on your spread legs, it feels like my feet will come off the pegs.
Mid controls did not help with this problem and neither did floorboards.

Do you think the fairing actually takes wind off your knees/mid section? Or is it just away from your torso?

thanks again for your feedback!
I'm also torn a lot on this decision. Did you find the Memphis Shade easy to remove when you want to?
It doesn’t change much on my knees but with the wind reduction on my torso, I think it is enough to compensate for it. I can remove the Memphis Shades with the trigger lock in about 15 seconds. I can hang at 80 plus no problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It doesn’t change much on my knees but with the wind reduction on my torso, I think it is enough to compensate for it. I can remove the Memphis Shades with the trigger lock in about 15 seconds. I can hang at 80 plus no problem.

thanks man, guess I'm buying a Memphis Shades Cafe now.. :)

·
Rider
669 Posts
I guess everyone is a lil different but I can hold 80-90 on the freeway easy and past 90 I’ll start to crouch a lil . Can’t do it on long trips but not due to that fact that I’m falling off. More so cuz my back or but will start hurting. And I’m grateful that for whatever reason it doesn’t bother me cuz I would hate to have to be in this thread trying to decide on a fairing for my bobber.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts