Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of researching which shocks to slam onto my scout bobber 60. I am confident in wanting the 11.5” 444’s in black. However; I am not sure on which wieght to get, standard or heavy duty.

I’m 195lbs without gear and ride solo 5 out of 7 days. The other two I have my wife who is about 95, putting our 2up weight around 290lbs.

I want to make the ride smooth for both situations but unsure if the heavy duty would make solo riding rough and if standard would make 2 up hard on her.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have also considered the Fox shocks, but I like the cheaper price on progressive and the dealer won’t have any fox until at least September.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,058 Posts
This should be fine.
I put the progressives on my scout. Great improvement. At the time I was 235, and my wife and I were a combined 440. The bike handled really well with both solo and 2 up.

As a side note, we've lost a combined 120 pounds since then and ironically have a roadmaster now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should be fine.
I put the progressives on my scout. Great improvement. At the time I was 235, and my wife and I were a combined 440. The bike handled really well with both solo and 2 up.

As a side note, we've lost a combined 120 pounds since then and ironically have a roadmaster now.
Which progressives did you have, the standard or heavy duty?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run progressives and really like them. I've had no issues bug i also have aftermarket seats. I weigh 210 and she 140. No issues 2 up. Big bumps will still throw you a bit though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried putting proper weight springs on the stock shocks first? At the least, its a relatively cheap way of trying out spring rates and at best, you might find no need for complete shocks.
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried putting proper weight springs on the stock shocks first? At the least, its a relatively cheap way of trying out spring rates and at best, you might find no need for complete shocks.
Mike
Yeah, part of upgrading will give just a little more travel and make my wife’s life better. I’ll be going to the 11.5” and expect that coupled with better quality should be the right combo for her. I could get by with just adjusting if it was just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, part of upgrading will give just a little more travel and make my wife’s life better. I’ll be going to the 11.5” and expect that coupled with better quality should be the right combo for her. I could get by with just adjusting if it was just me.
Makes sense. I have a set of RaceTech shocks coming for the bobber to get more travel as well, among other things. Max swing arm travel on bobber is 305mm so we’re going to 304 total shock length. Up from 285. Doesn’t sound like much, but on bobber, that’s like a 50% jump in travel since total travel was only around 40mm stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts