Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Bobber cold weather start issues

472 10
I could only find one thread on this but the fix (putting fresh gas in the tank) is not my issue.

If the temps are below 40-45F my bike doesnt start. Its turns over for several seconds but never wants to fire up.

There are a few things I think it could be but I dont want to buy stuff willy-nilly.

One thought is to upgrade the CCA on the battery. Not sure what mine is. I replaced the battery this year but it was a swap out kind of deal since the battery I had was trash. I just took it in and said I need a new one. Im guessing its same as stock. I do notice after several start attempts (5 ish) the battery gets weak doesnt even want to turn over anymore. I'll have to put it on the charger for a while after that.

The second is put a tuner on it. I want one anyway but...Expensive.

Third is something to do with the air intake. Maybe an upgrade will help?

In my shed I put a heat lamp on the engine block and got the bike temp to read 55 but still no start. Next I turned on propane heat to get the air temp up and they did it. So Im guessing its more about air temperature than engine temperature? I dont know alot about these things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im still a bit of a noob.
Reactions: Charlie Chaplain
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,724 Posts
What year is your bike. Reason I ask is that was a known starter issue with earlier models. Also have you tried priming it a couples of times on the stop/run switch with ignition on before hitting the starter? I presume you meant 'tender' instead of 'tuner.' I have used an Optimate tender for years; they give great service and do exactly what they are supposed to. Optimate 4 is my latest one.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I think about it..Ive seen those threads. Thats why I got heaters on it. I don't understand the technical tuner stuff. Heaters are just a band-aid for the real problem.

I get it. people get tired of seeing the same issue asked about but I haven't found a real answer. Maybe no one knows....

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,724 Posts
Scouts are notoriously 'fickle beasts' for cold starting. Mine too! I have an automatically operated valve in my exhaust system that defaults closed when the bike shuts down. I must always ensure the bike is primed twice and the exhaust valve is selected open before hitting the start button Wintertime or she won't go and that is on a tender too. Summertime when the ambient temperatures are higher it matters not!

I think it is a matter of just searching for the right 'knack' and 'due process' to get it to fire up in the cold and remembering it personally.

Reactions: Jonscout

· Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,536 Posts
I also have difficulty starting my 2021 Scout Bobber below 45*F.

I run a Revolution Performance Big Bore kit and Andrews 420 cams.
I have a custom Lloyd’z tune.
I have a Antigravity 480 cranking amp lithium-ion battery.
I keep my Scout on a Noco Genius tender (lithium setting) when not being ridden.

Solution: I raise the temperature in my garage to 55*F with a space heater and let the beast warm up! Then cycle the fuel pump 2-3 times before hitting the starter.

· Registered
630 Posts
If your bike doesn't fire up even with the primer hit at 2x then I would look into your fuel as the culprit .
I had those issues in the beginning when I got mine . I add after every fillup now about 2 Oz of mystery oil in the tank . I been doing that for almost a year now . Ever since then I have had no issues of starting .
Give it a try , can't hurt .
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bottle Drink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts