Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took off an extended Barnett clutch line that went with a set of 10" bars that was on my Bobber and put the stock cable back on that the previous owner gave me as well. What am I missing in the routing as the cable seems extremely long.

I have it connected to the 2 tabs on the bottom of the engine, then up through the bottom of the radiator shroud, behind the radiator nut/bolt next to frame about half way before the cut out in the shroud, up between the triple trees, to the wire/cable slots in the upper tree, and finally to the handle. After doing this, there seems to be an excessive amount of cable as the arc between the radiator and triple trees in much more pronounced than I have seem on any other Scout.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok pal, something is not right here. I installed a Barnett cable today on my 2016 Scout 60. That part number (just for reference, it's a standard stainless steel cable) is 102-40-10050.

From your description, it sounds like you did everything right - here are a few pics from my bike after installing exactly that cable exactly the way you described as well.

As you can clearly see, there is no "excess amount of cable". My old, black, OEM cable looked exactly the same when that was installed.

Here is the length of my old cable, which was the OEM: 67-1/2". See these pictures. That's inside barrel to inside barrel with all tensioners threaded in (shortest possible way). Check out your length - I bet you got some version of an already extended cable, even the guy said its OEM.

Good luck!

·
Registered
435 Posts
sorry for the bad picture quality :(, I have a bad camera on my iPhone that only sometimes focuses properly :eek::oops::sick: , but I'm sure you still get and see my point here :) (y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, JoyRider. That is exactly the info I needed. My cable measures exactly the same, so it's not the OEM Bobber cable. It may be OEM Scout though. According to Indian's website the Scout, 60, and Twenty all use the same part number, but not the Bobber. This is also reflected on Barnett's site as there are two offerings between non-Bobber and Bobber Scouts.

So, I do believe my cable is currently 3-4" too long. I plan to by a Barnett cable, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something fishy going on. I didn't want to buy new cable and same thing occur; I also didn't want to put myself in a pickle by ordering a 3" shorter one it end up not fitting (which would have happened if I specified Bobber version minus 3").

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad my timing worked :) good luck and always keep the shiny side up!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts