Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to take my first ride on the blue ridge parkway in mid september, who out there has ridden at that time of year.... what type of weather can I expect.... hot, warm, cool, cold, wet??

·
Senior member / rider
964 Posts
I’m planning on riding the Parkway in couple of weeks. Not to be a smart ass, but you can expect just about everything you mentioned except cold. It can get hot in Sept, you may hit some cool spots, and rain is always possible. Pack a rain suit, and a textile jacket with a liner Justin case, you’ll be fine. Have a good trip.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I learned the hard way back in the early 80,s road trip = pack for Alaska = ready for anything hey it’s just how I always roll. But it is a beautiful ride !

·
Bronze member
2,263 Posts
Great photo op between Asheville and about Waynesville...sign showing highest elevation (6053 feet) about mile post 431. You can park your bike by the sign. Watch for wildlife, be off the parkway by dark, gas can be sparse, southern end has more switchbacks, elevation changes, and curves, temp can change quickly with elevation and as the sun goes down, there will be places where water is running across the road, leaves will not be a problem in Sept, watch speed, and plan on not making good time. Did I mention being off the parkway before dark...

·
Super Moderator
5,726 Posts
getting ready to take my first ride on the blue ridge parkway in mid september, who out there has ridden at that time of year.... what type of weather can I expect.... hot, warm, cool, cold, wet??
There is plenty of information for you on these threads. Review them, it is better than rehashing what has already been posted.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Weather, tips, tricks etc?

Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway

Planning a Blue Ridge Parkway trip... suggestions?

Blue Ridge Parkway

I run the BRP twice a year, every year. Been doing that since 1982 - it never gets old, and I never tire of it. Next run is Labor Day Weekend. Mid-Sep I'll be on Skyline Drive out of Front Royal.

Best time to run the BRP is late May, early June - the wildflowers and Mountain Laurel are in high bloom, not hot, and cool evenings. Less traffic too. Mid-Sep is good too as most vacationers are back to work or school.

Plan on 3 days to properly ride the parkway, maybe 4 if you hike to the various waterfalls. Gas is plentiful off the BRP - Park Service Visitor Centers have listings for all gas stations at various mile marker points, so don't worry.

If you have time, an EPIC ride is to run Skyline Drive (105 miles), straight onto the BRP (470 miles), then jump over to Nashville, TN and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway for another 440 miles. Then, 70 miles further to New Orleans. I've done that twice now, but then I'm retired and have the time. :)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I rode it from beginning to end four years ago when I still lived in VA. I absolutely loved the ride, even though the 45 MPH max speed was a bummer. Make sure you bring a camera (phone). I rode it in two days and I stopped at every overlook for pictures.

Bubba

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m on the BRP few times a month. Expect temps to average 10 degrees cooler most days in higher elevations, than forecast. Morning fog may take longer to burn off.

Also currently resurfacing a lot of miles with tar and gravel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What CCAT RIDER said! In mid Sept you can get quite a variance in temps and conditions, but it will be beautiful time to ride the Parkway.

·
Senior member / rider
964 Posts
There is plenty of information for you on these threads. Review them, it is better than rehashing what has already been posted.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Weather, tips, tricks etc?

Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway

Planning a Blue Ridge Parkway trip... suggestions?

Blue Ridge Parkway

I run the BRP twice a year, every year. Been doing that since 1982 - it never gets old, and I never tire of it. Next run is Labor Day Weekend. Mid-Sep I'll be on Skyline Drive out of Front Royal.

Best time to run the BRP is late May, early June - the wildflowers and Mountain Laurel are in high bloom, not hot, and cool evenings. Less traffic too. Mid-Sep is good too as most vacationers are back to work or school.

Plan on 3 days to properly ride the parkway, maybe 4 if you hike to the various waterfalls. Gas is plentiful off the BRP - Park Service Visitor Centers have listings for all gas stations at various mile marker points, so don't worry.

If you have time, an EPIC ride is to run Skyline Drive (105 miles), straight onto the BRP (470 miles), then jump over to Nashville, TN and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway for another 440 miles. Then, 70 miles further to New Orleans. I've done that twice now, but then I'm retired and have the time. :)
I live right off of Skyline Drive. I avoid it due the tourist traffic and 35 mph speed limit. BRP is much nicer IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow... great stuff y’all.... my brother in-law & I headed that way via old US highways thru Kentucky & Tennessee... going to hit the smokies then head for Cherokee NC, make wheels thru time museum.... hit theBRP & head for turn around point at Virginia state line - then head back home to southern Illinois

·
Senior member / rider
964 Posts
Well I guess we are neighbors, lol. You riding an Indian? I don’t see many around. Pretty much HD country around here.
With a handle like triumph900??
Kidding aside, I used to own a Scout, but sold it a while back. I’m waiting (hoping) for a true midsized cruiser. I really like the look of the white Springfield Darkhorse, but I’m not a fan of real big bikes. If it was 100# lighter, I’d have one. My wife is the Indian rider, see has a Scout that she loves!

Look for red Scout and a Triumph, that’ll be us!

·
Registered
833 Posts
First, congratulations. I'm jealous. Love that ride.
Second, to your question - "...what type of weather can I expect.... hot, warm, cool, cold, wet?"
Answer: Yes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadly I live in Charlotte NC and have never been on the BRP!

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
Wow... great stuff y’all.... my brother in-law & I headed that way via old US highways thru Kentucky & Tennessee... going to hit the smokies then head for Cherokee NC, make wheels thru time museum.... hit theBRP & head for turn around point at Virginia state line - then head back home to southern Illinois
Check times for when the museum is open. We were there on a Wed. last year and they were closed.

Reactions: CCATT Rider
1 - 20 of 51 Posts