Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just now read an article in the February '15 issue of Motor Cyclist Magazine about cruising through the Blue Ridge Parkway. It really got me thinking about how cool that would be to take that trip. I'm thinking I'd really line to do that. I've only been riding for a little over 4 years. It would be my first extended trip.
Anyone have any good personal stories about cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I ride it all the time. You could get on Skyline Dr at Front Royal Va. and ride it to Alton Va. and get on the Parkway there, 469 miles later you will end around Cherokee N.C. They takes longer to ride because of the lower speed limits.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's a great motorcycle trip. Take your time, drop down into some of the little towns along the way. We ride it quite often since it's only 15min away from us.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
It's a great motorcycle trip. Take your time, drop down into some of the little towns along the way. We ride it quite often since it's only 15min away from us.
Lucky you to be right there in that beautiful country :) I hope to do that drive soon :D

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
I just now read an article in the February '15 issue of Motor Cyclist Magazine about cruising through the Blue Ridge Parkway. It really got me thinking about how cool that would be to take that trip. I'm thinking I'd really line to do that. I've only been riding for a little over 4 years. It would be my first extended trip.
Since we live relative near one another, let me know when you want to go, I'll ride with you. Currently planning a trip in early June, not just the Blue Ridge (for the 18th time) but on down the Natchez Trace too. I have lots of suggestions, do's and don'ts, etc. Best time to enjoy is early June to experience the spring flowers and Mountain Laurel, avoid vacationers, and stay warm, but not hot. GoatLocker95, in Lexington Park is thinking of that ride too. Meet me at Timonium cycle show at Chesapeake Cycles - our IMRG chapter is meeting at 10am. We can discuss.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've ridden the Ridge from one end to the other and it's a great ride. Agree it is best done before vacationers clog the road, but most of them stay on the Virginia side...especially Skyline Drive. I live near the Natchez Trace and ride it often on the Tennessee side. I find it relaxing and peaceful for the most part...except maybe the North end that comes into the Nashville area.

I'm curious to see how any Scout owners handle the Blue Ridge with the limited range of the fuel tank. One of my trips (the Western leg) included a buddy's wife on a Sportster with a peanut tank...let's just say her husband didn't find it easy carrying a full gas can he bought in a nearby (not near enough for the wife). They went 2-up on his bike on a later fall foliage ride on the Ridge.

·
Registered
506 Posts
We ride down every Memorial Day Weekend for 4 days. Make sure you stop off at Maggie Valley and see the Only living motorcycle museum, Wheels through Time...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did the Natchez and the blue Ridge last year (different bike). Found out about half thru the Blue Ridge that there is a map showing towns and gas stations along the way. Lots of detouring trying to find gas and places to stop. Anyone know of this map? Would like to do this trip over gain on the Indian.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I use to live near Front Royal, Virginia a few miles from The north end of Skyline Drive which connects with The Blue Ridge Parkway. I have driven both roads many times. A few times making the entire round trip drive from Front Royal VA to Cherokee NC. Though I now live 1200 miles from the road I never miss an opportunity to ride it again. Last full round trip was in late Sept of 2014. Every motorcyclist owes themselves a trip on this road. Scenic beauty, historical sites, quaint mountain towns, stunning views, tranquil solitude, good pavement, wildlife, no commercial development, twisting turning rising and falling roads. This ride has it all. Pack rain gear and layers. The weather can vary considerably during the few days of your trip. In the Spring the road is green and flush with wildflowers. In the Fall the Autumn colors are stunning. If you want solitude and little traffic plan to go before Memorial day or after Labor day. The Park Service maintains a website with info on the road and there are other enthusiast website devoted exclusively to the road. A quick web search will turn up a great deal of info. If you have a need for speed take note. The speed limit on Skyline is 35mph and on Parkway it is 45mph. These road were meant to be savored. I have yet to meet anyone who did not like this drive. Do it. You owe yourself the experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure you guys hit US129 (the Dragon), Foothills Parkway (where <---- that picture was taken), and Cherohala Skyway when you are in the East Tennessee area. It's all great riding.

·
Registered
497 Posts
As mentioned, this is a must do over several days. I love this ride and make excuses to take it on cross country trips. Plan to be on it during the week--the weekends, summer or not, can get busy and check the park service website. When sections of the road are closed (it happens) it can be an event getting off and back on to the Parkway without a map.

Plan it. You'll love it.

Reactions: Mattgic

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts

I've been riding the Parkway or BRP for about 32 years and travel 700 miles just for the pleasure. I agree if you can take the time to see all it has to offer and not blow through the distance. Great hiking and views and just relax and tool along. The BRP has 469 miles on good road and many points to use mountain roads that feed into the BRP. The collective of roads would likely be several hundred more miles of riding bliss. Weather is always a challenge so carry your wet suit on top of your pack for easy reach.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
I purchased one of the maps on the web showing great rides, gas stops, and sites in the area. Worth every penny. When going down the Blue Ridge parkway make sure to stop by and see the view of Grandfather Mountain. Kinda of a rip off what they charge for a bike to get to the top but can't go down the parkway without seeing it. Here is a link to the site for the map.

Blue Ridge Smoky Mountain Motorcycle Adventure Maps

Did the trip last spring and loved it. Rode the parkway, did the Dragon, and criss crossed a bunch of good roads. Make sure to go down 28 (just south of the Dragon). Great mountain road and about 5 waterfalls. Dean E

pic11.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got back from doing 0 to 469. I took three days on the parkway. I stayed in Roanoke, and Asheville. I would highly recommend it. Also Iike said in some of the other replies. give yourself plenty of time to enjoy and maybe check out some of the places off of it...Grandfather mountain, Looking Glass rock, Mount Mitchell...I added a few pics of my trip.

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
If you stay around the Little Switzerland area (around milepost 334) take a look at "The Diamondback" The Diamondback Motorcycle Sportscar Route

Fantastic riding, I always try to do two passes each trip and end up spending 7-8 days soaking in the mountains. It is the best combination of scenery, good roads, serenity. Awesome pictures. The Mount Mitchell spur is a must on each trip. Cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts