Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a short ride on the Vintage today. About 60 miles into the ride we stopped at a watering hole for a beverage (just one) and then mounted up to head home. As soon as I started the engine I noticed the blue highbeam indicator was flashing. I asked my wife to walk around to the front and check to see if the headlight was on. It was not.

I flipped the highbeam switch several times to no avail. The auxiliary driving lights were lit normally, but not the headlight.

The Owner's Manual states that a flashing highbeam indicator means there's a problem with the headlight system. I checked the fuse box and there is no fuse or relay labeled for headlights.

Have any of you experienced this? I guess I should drag out the multimeter and start tracking things down.

Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's of course my first supposition as well. But, it would be quite unusual to have a headlight go bad with only 1100 miles on it.

Steve

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,055 Posts
Evening Folks,
I have replaced two H-4 halogen headlight bubs on Chieftain #873 since I've had it.The Chieftain displays a DTC (Detect Trouble Code) on the dash display when a filament is out. Mileage means nothing as far as light bulb filaments go, its amazing that something so fragile as tungsten carbide filaments operating at incandescent temperatures are as durable as they are. All it takes is a good bump or a voltage surge and pffft! I replaced the 1157 tail light bulbs on my Moto Guzzi/Ural sidecar rig with LED units yesterday because I was tired of replacing incandescent bulbs.
--- Randall

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randall, I hear you, but I've got ATV's with halogen bulbs that have taken much harder knocks than anything this Vintage has seen, and they're still burning bright. I'll pull it and take a look at it - hopefully tomorrow.

Steve

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe your headlamp bulb has burned out and the flashing is a warning to let you know.
Enzo, having had a bit of time lapsed since you did your LED headlight mod, what are your thoughts? Would you do it again?

Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
Randall, I hear you, but I've got ATV's with halogen bulbs that have taken much harder knocks than anything this Vintage has seen, and they're still burning bright. I'll pull it and take a look at it - hopefully tomorrow.

Steve

@stellarpod I had this same issue this morning. My headlight is out. Dealer wants $ 85 for a new headlight.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@stellarpod I had this same issue this morning. My headlight is out. Dealer wants $ 85 for a new headlight.
That's unfortunate. My dealer was willing to replace mine for free, stating they'd seen a few of these. Don't know how many miles you've clocked, but I only had about 1100 when it occurred to me. As Randall said, bulb filaments know nothing of mileage, but I've not had similar problems on vehicles that see a heck of a lot more abuse than my Indian.

Steve

·
Founding Member
680 Posts
Earlier this year my high beam indicator quit working on my Vintage. High beam only had burned out. Put new Sylvania Silverstar in it, indicator started working again-Dan

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Noticed a driving light out a couple weeks ago, didn't think much of it. A couple days later it's working fine? Fast forward a couple weeks and the other side driving light out. I know for sure it was the opposite side a couple weeks ago! Next time I start the bike both driving lights are working...WTH? No codes, no flashing and nudging the lamp assembly makes no difference.

A week or so later I notice the blue highbeam indicator is flashing and the headlamp is inop. :mad: Can't complain too much, it's the OE light. I get a nice afternoon and pull the nacelle and sure enough the electrode is fried. I replace the bulb with a H4 Xenon bulb. Clean up around the nacelle, go back together, hit the start and still no headlight and the blue high beam indicator is still flashing!! o_O

Call the dealer for the "easy fix" and was asked about a DTC, adv none. I was told to bring it in as it's most likely a wiring or VCM problem.

Anyone else have this? ....and if you did what was the fix?

THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
UPDATE: Diagnosis revealed a bad VCM. Covered by Factory Service Contract (warranty).

BTW, this bike has been wet 3 times, caught in rain storm out riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went out for a short ride on the Vintage today. About 60 miles into the ride we stopped at a watering hole for a beverage (just one) and then mounted up to head home. As soon as I started the engine I noticed the blue highbeam indicator was flashing. I asked my wife to walk around to the front and check to see if the headlight was on. It was not.

I flipped the highbeam switch several times to no avail. The auxiliary driving lights were lit normally, but not the headlight.

The Owner's Manual states that a flashing highbeam indicator means there's a problem with the headlight system. I checked the fuse box and there is no fuse or relay labeled for headlights.

Have any of you experienced this? I guess I should drag out the multimeter and start tracking things down.

Steve

Steve
Am having the exact problem right now. wiring was checked out, everything works exactly as supposed to, bike runs, lights work by switch (low and high). Call in to Polaris. System may have to be “reset” (rebooted). Awaiting result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening Folks,
I have replaced two H-4 halogen headlight bubs on Chieftain #873 since I've had it.The Chieftain displays a DTC (Detect Trouble Code) on the dash display when a filament is out. Mileage means nothing as far as light bulb filaments go, its amazing that something so fragile as tungsten carbide filaments operating at incandescent temperatures are as durable as they are. All it takes is a good bump or a voltage surge and pffft! I replaced the 1157 tail light bulbs on my Moto Guzzi/Ural sidecar rig with LED units yesterday because I was tired of replacing incandescent bulbs.
--- Randall
Evening Folks,
--- Randall
My blue lite started flashing today , and all my lites are working fine . On bright or off no difference . The blue lite was off once I stopped and restarted , but back on by the time I hit second gear . Now that I made it home and 2 hours to cool off the blue lite is on all the time that it is running ! With the starter switch on but not running the blue lite isn't on ! Once I restarted at home , it seems like my engine is a little bit rough ! Any suggestions as I am 4 years out of warranty ! hahahahaha

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,055 Posts
My blue lite started flashing today , and all my lites are working fine . On bright or off no difference . The blue lite was off once I stopped and restarted , but back on by the time I hit second gear . Now that I made it home and 2 hours to cool off the blue lite is on all the time that it is running ! With the starter switch on but not running the blue lite isn't on ! Once I restarted at home , it seems like my engine is a little bit rough ! Any suggestions as I am 4 years out of warranty ! hahahahaha
What year is your bike? Problems with the headlight circuit and VCM are known to exist in the early models, there was a factory recall over it. I replaced my headlight plug myself after it melted and other folks have found signs of overheating where the headlight circuit wire plugs into the VCM. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them to take a look at it.
--- Randall

·
Bronze member
3,167 Posts
I suspect you may have a problem with the bulb itself.Change it to see if that cures your problem.It did mine cause I basically had that same problem several times and the bulb was the problem every time.Ya have to remember,that headlight is on all the time,day and night.Dave!!!.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had a few bulbs go. Using Sylvania Silver Star. They are rated for x many hours. Read the information on the package they come in and it tells you how many hours they are good for. Here in Ontario they give a 1 year replacement warrantee. I use the bike like a car and put about 20000 klm on per year but have no idea how many hours. Keep the receipt and Canadian Tire will honour the warrantee. I would imagine it would be the same at venders in the US.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Steve
Hi-beam indicator flashing means your hi-beam side of the bulb is out. Low beam still works enabling you to get home, a dealer or to an auto parts store. Replace bulb and you're good to go! You should be able to access the bulb housing and swap out the bulbs from the rear of the headlamp nacelle (in front of forks). Takes a bit of finagling, but it is do-able....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts