Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Blacking out a 21 base

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  unforgivun 
#1 ·
I'm planning to paint the chrome tank panel and saddlebag latches to match the Titanium Smoke soon (like the DH models) and have the chrome stator cover as well as the clutch housing assembly and the other chrome piece on the left side powder coated soon. Question....since removing the cam covers requires dropping the whole engine from the frame (which I will not attempt) has anyone found a spray paint / ceramic / 2 or 3 stage acrylic or other high heat paint that I can use there safely without worrying about it failing? Any advice appreciated as our busy season is winding down and I need something to keep my mind occupied!
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO, you'll never find a rattle can paint that will adhere & be tough enough. It may look good at first, but will not stand up to bug removal, solvents, etc. When the paint starts coming off/discoloring, you can imagine what that’ll look like.

I had a scuff on my powder coated engine guards and repaired it with black rattle can paint. It looked great initially, couldn’t even tell it had been repaired, but didn’t hold up. Wound up getting the engine guards re-powder coated.

I’d just leave them chrome and powder coat what you can remove easily.

#3 · (Edited)
I found chrome valve covers on ebay to have powder coated. I figure I’ll wait till they do a major service on the bike then have them slap them on while the motor is dropped.

Since these valve covers are chrome, I figured I’d leave some parts chrome and black out others. Right now it’s a good mix of black and chrome.

#5 ·
I found chrome valve covers on ebay to have powder coated. I figure I’ll wait till they do a major service on the bike then have them slap them on while the motor is dropped.

Since these valve covers are chrome, I figured I’d leave some parts chrome and black out others. Right now it’s a good mix of black and chrome.

What kind of service are you planning where they'd have to drop the engine? I watched a video of a tech doing it online and it's a huge undertaking.

#13 ·
After disassembling the grills and scuffing the chrome as good as I could I just used some semi gloss high heat Krylon spray paint I had purchased for touching up the black exhaust. Should last as this area never really gets touched. Titanium smoke Urethane / matt clear for the tank panel and bag locks should be here today so that'll be tomorrows project. Have a DH stator cover and V cover on the way. Not sure yet but I will probably have the clutch housing assembly powder coated black as the factory one is pretty $$$

#14 ·
Be careful when you reassemble the bag latches. If you do it wrong, the bags will lock with no way to get in. Double check the latch works before closing the lid. Ask me how I know.

I looked Into powder coating the primary cover but it looks like there’s a bearing in the assembly that needs to be pressed out. Above my pay grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Be careful when you reassemble the bag latches. If you do it wrong, the bags will lock with no way to get in. Double check the latch works before closing the lid. Ask me how I know.

I looked Into powder coating the primary cover but it looks like there’s a bearing in the assembly that needs to be pressed out. Above my pay grade.

Yep, already have the seal ordered for that bearing and I used to be a machinist so hopefully I can get that bearing out and back in when finished.....

#18 ·
Looks great! Did you just mask off the black part on the tank console?

The top section yes. I doubt it can be removed without destroying it. The rubber strip on the bottom I removed and used acetone to clean the gooey glue off the metal before media blasting it. Next is to decide what to do about the chrome piece on the stage 1 air box.......

#19 ·
wow bro! nice work! looking good. was wondering where you got the paint and then read witchdoctors.. how much? i was going thru my parts to buy list with dude from blackout he told me "colorRite makes Indian specific paint in an aerosol can. " My painter thinks he can scan the color but i'm not sure it'll be that simple . WD matched it pretty dam good.
There's a dude on these forums who had a badass chally sold it and offed all his aftermarket parts here. He's Still selling his Siouxcide sissy for a steal. His forum name is AMPUP. Mentioning him because he did the stage 1 intake chrome piece red and other red accents i was pondering myself . He's still got red bag fillers for sale . I have pics of his bike cause he had many of the parts i was planning on and couldn't afford at the time. I don't want to disrespect or overstep by just posting his pics. i can put up a link to the fillers:
Back to you bro.. the bikes lookin really good! the console came out badass, can't wait to see some more. I'm waiting on a list of goodies myself , hoping to start teardown and re-assembly by the end of the month. in the meantime i been playing around with speaker trim , speedo trim, and some other easy to get to pieces with a foo foo can in 1 hand...a big ole J in the other trying to bring the image from head to reality, haven't media blasted anything yet. just paint and wipe away what i don't like, take a pic for my paint guy and start again. I cant wait to see the valve covers when you tackle that never rode a day in his life, polaris bike designers handywork. Cheers bud!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.