Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if anyone has had their chrome gas caps powder coated with no damage to the under side of the dummy or the plastic threads of the tank cap.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I do not have an answer regarding the powder coating option... but Polaris does offer a black painted set. I have one chrome set here painted black that was an obviously home-made paintjob - poor results and not recommended.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am also looking for an alternative set that isn't gloss black, looking for a matte black set. Generic caps can be had but its getting a dummy one to match that is the problem..

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am also looking for an alternative set that isn't gloss black, looking for a matte black set. Generic caps can be had but its getting a dummy one to match that is the problem..
You can get a matte black set from a Harley dealer. Just pop the mounting part for the dummy cap out and replace with double faced tape. I did that on my dark horse, worked well and matched the tank perfectly

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the gas cap is plastic you won't be able to powder coat it, it has to be metal.
OEM caps are metal. The part that screws into the tank is plastic and the dummy has plastic on the underside. My powder coating guy quoted me $20 to do the job. I was just wondering if anyone in the wide world of Indian Chief Dark Horses had any experience with doing that process on OEM caps. Evidently not. The plastic parts might well survive the heat needed to powder coat. And they might not. $99 for Kuryakyns; $150 for new OEMs if they melt...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
OEM caps are metal. The part that screws into the tank is plastic and the dummy has plastic on the underside. My powder coating guy quoted me $20 to do the job. I was just wondering if anyone in the wide world of Indian Chief Dark Horses had any experience with doing that process on OEM caps. Evidently not. The plastic parts might well survive the heat needed to powder coat. And they might not. $99 for Kuryakyns; $150 for new OEMs if they melt...
Have you asked the guys doing the powder coating about the plastic survival ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you asked the guys doing the powder coating about the plastic survival ?
The guy is a powder coater, not a motorcycle guy. We discussed it and he said it might survive.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The guy is a powder coater, not a motorcycle guy. We discussed it and he said it might survive.
I would be like you and so many others , it is always better to be cautious before jumping into the fire. I hope the end results your seeking work out in your favour.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be like you and so many others , it is always better to be cautious before jumping into the fire. I hope the end results your seeking work out in your favour.
Why, thank you, thank you vurry much.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: After further review, I can emphatically state that chrome gas caps do not repeat, DO NOT survive the powder coating procedure. I suggested packing modelling clay around them, but my powdercoater said he would do his best.

Both caps were ruined by the heat. I bought another spare set and sanded down the chrome to a dull roar and applied several coats of matte black paint, followed by several more coats of matte clear coat. Will post pics when I get around to taking them.

That is all. Carry on.

·
Rider
739 Posts
Update: After further review, I can emphatically state that chrome gas caps do not repeat, DO NOT survive the powder coating procedure. I suggested packing modelling clay around them, but my powdercoater said he would do his best.

Both caps were ruined by the heat. I bought another spare set and sanded down the chrome to a dull roar and applied several coats of matte black paint, followed by several more coats of matte clear coat. Will post pics when I get around to taking them.

That is all. Carry on.
How’d he even get the powder to stick on plastic pieces?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How’d he even get the powder to stick on plastic pieces?
Well, it wasn't the plastic that was being powder coated. It was the metal caps. The tops. The part that shows on top of the gas tank.

The threaded part that screws into the tank is plastic on the real cap. The dummy cap has plastic underneath it, as well. Both plastic parts melted in the process of heating the caps to cook the powder. The metal caps looked great, but they were unusable due to the plastic parts underneath them being melted beyond use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts