Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had the Indian black slip ons installed and then had some of the paint rub off where it contacted the heat shield?

From further away. It’s where the chrome heat shield touches the black slip on.

It wasn’t there when I picked up the bike but it appeared later from a few days of riding.

Looks to me like they pushed the heat shield too far up against slip on. Here’s a picture of the other side where you can see a little bit of space between the slip on where it tapers down under the heat shield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
677 Posts
The chrome or black are prone to do that. The main heat shield over the cat doesn't have too much forward to back movement, because it needs to line up with the rear cylinder heat shield. There is just under a 1/4" of forward to back movement on the pipes. If installed all the way back you can reduce the amount of contact, but usually not eliminate it. What I do is put a piece of exhaust wrap around the heat shield stand off where it contacts the pipe. This will add about another 1/8" of clearance from the heat shield to the pipe.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The chrome or black are prone to do that. The main heat shield over the cat doesn't have too much forward to back movement, because it needs to line up with the rear cylinder heat shield. There is just under a 1/4" of forward to back movement on the pipes. If installed all the way back you can reduce the amount of contact, but usually not eliminate it. What I do is put a piece of exhaust wrap around the heat shield stand off where it contacts the pipe. This will add about another 1/8" of clearance from the heat shield to the pipe.
I appreciate the information. But the stock slip on didn’t do that. I usually clean my bike before a ride and it wasn’t there before after almost two years of riding with the stock slip on. Is it only an issue if you install the Stage 1 slip ons?

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
Just bought a Challenger Darkhorse. There was a little of that on my exhaust When I bought the bike. With the black exhaust, vibration is going to do that. Shows up more on the black than chrome.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought a Challenger Darkhorse. There was a little of that on my exhaust When I bought the bike. With the black exhaust, vibration is going to do that. Shows up more on the black than chrome.
TigerGA,

How are you enjoying that non-annoying/buzzing Challenger? The way my bike is still vibrating I wish I could buy one too. People advised me to buy a new bike but I just couldn’t afford it.

·
Rider
677 Posts
I appreciate the information. But the stock slip on didn’t do that. I usually clean my bike before a ride and it wasn’t there before after almost two years of riding with the stock slip on. Is it only an issue if you install the Stage 1 slip ons?

I don't recall my stock pipes having an issue either. However, I did pull those off shortly after buying the bike and didn't do much maintenance to the bike prior to pulling them off. I then put on a set of V&H Classics and did not notice a clearance issue. But, when I installed the Stage 1 pipes, I detected the interference issue. Last year I installed a set on a friends Chief DH and noticed the same issue and put a piece of exhaust wrap behind the shield / clamp like I mentioned in the previous reply.

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
TigerGA,

How are you enjoying that non-annoying/buzzing Challenger? The way my bike is still vibrating I wish I could buy one too. People advised me to buy a new bike but I just couldn’t afford it.

The Challenger is a beast. Ride Command is nice too...didn’t have that on my ‘16 RM.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Challenger is a beast. Ride Command is nice too...didn’t have that on my ‘16 RM.
Is there any engine buzz/vibration at all? Do you need to make any changes to make it more comfortable?

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
Is there any engine buzz/vibration at all? Do you need to make any changes to make it more comfortable?

You do have some vibration at higher speed, but it’s also a vtwin with 122 hp. I read some reviews in motorcycle publications and it seems to be the same vibration described by the writers that tested the Challenger. Comfort-wise, the bike is fine, except for maybe one thing. I feel stretched out compared to my Roadmaster. I’m going on a bike trip this week, which will put the stock bars to the test. At 5’9, I may be more comfortable with the reduced reach bars. We’ll see how the stock bars do on a 400 mile ride.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do have some vibration at higher speed, but it’s also a vtwin with 122 hp. I read some reviews in motorcycle publications and it seems to be the same vibration described by the writers that tested the Challenger. Comfort-wise, the bike is fine, except for maybe one thing. I feel stretched out compared to my Roadmaster. I’m going on a bike trip this week, which will put the stock bars to the test. At 5’9, I may be more comfortable with the reduced reach bars. We’ll see how the stock bars do on a 400 mile ride.
You bring up a good point. I felt the same way sitting on the Challenger, I’m also 5’9”. I wondered how it would feel on a long trip. Did you know that Indian only sells the reduced reach bars for the Challenger in chrome and not black? I was thinking what I would do if I needed reduced reach bars.

·
Bronze member
1,918 Posts
You bring up a good point. I felt the same way sitting on the Challenger, I’m also 5’9”. I wondered how it would feel on a long trip. Did you know that Indian only sells the reduced reach bars for the Challenger in chrome and not black? I was thinking what I would do if I needed reduced reach bars.

FWIW I rode a buddys Challenger for about an hour. I'm also 5'9" and after an hour my back was done. Stock ergonomics were terrible for me. I would need bars and seat change with lumbar support to make it comfortable. Good luck.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
187 Posts

Talk to your dealer about getting them powder coated.
My wife (5'2") bought a 2019 Blk. & Cream Chieftain Classic and had black accents put on (Blk. Engine Guard, Blk. Bag Guards, Blk Exhaust, Blk. Luggage Rack, Reduced Reach Solo Rider Seat, Reduced Reach Bars had to be painted.)

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts

Someone posted they ordered the reduced reach IM bars from Witchdoctors, paid an additional $40, and they powder coated them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone had the Indian black slip ons installed and then had some of the paint rub off where it contacted the heat shield?

From further away. It’s where the chrome heat shield touches the black slip on.

It wasn’t there when I picked up the bike but it appeared later from a few days of riding.

Looks to me like they pushed the heat shield too far up against slip on. Here’s a picture of the other side where you can see a little bit of space between the slip on where it tapers down under the heat shield

Just noticed the same thing on my Challenger DH. I only have 450 miles on it.
Just the right side is doing it on mine too.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Caprock,

I need your help. I'm not mechanically inclined but the dealer said they will put the wrap under the clamp and touch up the slip on where the paint has come off but they've not done it before. It would probably be helpful if you could give me any detail you can about the wrap under the clamp. I don't want a large gap where the shield sits high above the slip on and don't want things moving around under vibration on a long trip. I'm leaving on a 2,500 mile trip next month and I can't have things causing problems. I would be grateful for any help you could give. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Caprock,

I need your help. I'm not mechanically inclined but the dealer said they will put the wrap under the clamp and touch up the slip on where the paint has come off but they've not done it before. It would probably be helpful if you could give me any detail you can about the wrap under the clamp that I could pass on to them. I don't want a large gap where the shield sits high above the slip on and don't want things moving around under vibration on a long trip. I'm leaving on a 2,500 mile trip next month and I can't have things causing problems. I would be grateful for any help you could give. Thanks...

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
Caprock,

I need your help. I'm not mechanically inclined but the dealer said they will put the wrap under the clamp and touch up the slip on where the paint has come off but they've not done it before. It would probably be helpful if you could give me any detail you can about the wrap under the clamp. I don't want a large gap where the shield sits high above the slip on and don't want things moving around under vibration on a long trip. I'm leaving on a 2,500 mile trip next month and I can't have things causing problems. I would be grateful for any help you could give. Thanks...
How about posting what type paint they use...color, brand?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the type of exhaust wrap I used. I doubled up the thickness and had a couple strips about 4" long and slipped them between the hose clamp that holds the heat shield on and the muffler itself. Hopefully, the pics will illustrate what I am explaining.
View attachment 590486

View attachment 590487

View attachment 590488 View attachment 590486 View attachment 590487 View attachment 590488
Thanks so much for posting this. I will forward your pictures to the service manager that said they would install the fix for me. Did you try using only 1 layer of tape? Just curious. It doesn’t need much clearance.

The dealer said they have a black paint pen they can use to touch up the paint on the black slip on and can withstand the high heat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts