Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought about that. If I scuff the chrome, will the paint stick? Would rather powder coat them but doubt the seal would make it through the baking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Call big Tex Indian, Denton, Texas. A local painter does them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
I hadn't thought about that. If I scuff the chrome, will the paint stick? Would rather powder coat them but doubt the seal would make it through the baking.
They'll take the seal out, not to worry! Plus they'll tell you what to expect! Go for it! DIY yes do it yourself. Tape the crap out of it. Twist it into a piece of cardboard and shoot, 4 coats should do it nicely. 10 minutes you'll be done and stand back and say (Wow).Me I'm gonna do the same. With what you saved go buy a Indian 75.00 shirt vest helmet or some fringe.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I purchased the Indian ones and they are great. I never thought of plasti dip spraying them. I did spray the rear fender bows and they came out ok. I want to send them out for powder coating but I just moved to Florida and have not found a company yet

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
No scuffing/primer paint & clearcoat! Then pictures. B4 & after.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMG_1071.JPG
Taking a cue from this thread I sprayed my gas caps with black Plastidip. I had used clear on the bumper of my pick up to keep the sodium chloride off in the winter and it worked so I figured I had nothing to lose. I put 4 coats on yesterday. Each was done 2 hours apart. I then left it them to cure overnight. This morning they were cured and ready to roll. As was suggested on this thread screw them in to a piece of card board to keep them from having to be taped. Take off the seal on the right cap and set it aside. When you go to take the cap off the card board make sure you use an exact knife to cut the bottom free. When you spray the cap it will also seal to the card board. Easy breezy and looks great. Best part is if it starts looking rough I just take it off and do it again. Here is a pic of them back on the bike.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
View attachment 228745 Taking a cue from this thread I sprayed my gas caps with black Plastidip. I had used clear on the bumper of my pick up to keep the sodium chloride off in the winter and it worked so I figured I had nothing to lose. I put 4 coats on yesterday. Each was done 2 hours apart. I then left it them to cure overnight. This morning they were cured and ready to roll. As was suggested on this thread screw them in to a piece of card board to keep them from having to be taped. Take off the seal on the right cap and set it aside. When you go to take the cap off the card board make sure you use an exact knife to cut the bottom free. When you spray the cap it will also seal to the card board. Easy breezy and looks great. Best part is if it starts looking rough I just take it off and do it again. Here is a pic of them back on the bike.
Good job, t'was my idea in the cardboard-it's also a great idea on screws and bolts, there is a lady who wanted the to do a (primary cover) me thinks. Save your money, take every other bolt off and spray wait overnite replace; and then complete the rest. DIY if you do every other bolt you don't have to worry about the torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Take em both off and paint them yourself. Anyone. An do that, save your money on something you can use. There are even a few who have said how it's done or to do it! Good luck and get painting. You're welcome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts